Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn 17.5K vs. BU for Entertainment  (Read 1732 times)

PleaseMr

• View Profile
Brooklyn 17.5K vs. BU for Entertainment
« on: May 15, 2005, 02:50:38 PM »
Hi!
  So tomorrow is the big day:  Brooklyn deposit due.  I don't want to pay both deposits because that will equate to about $900 to pay in deposits this week (I know long term doesnt matter, but if its only buying me a week till another 1K is due). 

Received 17.5K/year scholarship at Brooklyn.  Must remain in top 33%. 
No money at BU.

I am not that worried about the debt anymore as my parents shocked me and have been planning all along to pay a lot of my tuition/living expenses, although I was completely unaware. 

I want to do entertainment law (right now).  Worked in NYC ent. law firm for 2 years.  Currently live in NYC.  Like all of my friends and will be very sad to leave them, but I also think it might be the right time (if there is going to be one) to make a change. 

BU supposedly has a pretty strong IP program and of course we all hear the raves about the professors and low faculty to student ratio. 

I visited Brooklyn. Liked not Loved.  Visting BU this weekend.

So do I go balls out, not pay Brooklyn and hope I like BU?

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn 17.5K vs. BU for Entertainment
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 03:05:57 PM »
It seems like your life is in NYC right now. Maybe you should look at Brooklyn some more before you shut them out

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 03:30:54 PM »
Hmm, I think the editor of entertainment law and finance went to Brooklyn.
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow

els2007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 03:36:38 PM »
This is a no-brainer.  Absolutely go to Boston U.  If you end up NOT doing entertainment law then your options will be 5000 times better with similar class standing at BU. Also, if you're top 33% at BU your opportunities in NY will be far better than a top 15-20% student at Brooklyn (i know this b/c I have a friend with such standing who has yet to find a job..same for some of his friends w/ similar standing...) I had the exact same scholarship offer at Brooklyn and chose a top 25 school...absolutely no regrets..Don't take money over prestige and earning potential in the long run..Brooklyn is also the 5th best school in the NY market (Columbia-NYU-Fordham-Cardoza-Brooklyn).....

king

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 07:29:50 PM »
If you are certain that if you want to remain in NYC, go to BLS.  BU is a better school, but it is NOT a top national program by any means.  It is worth the extra cost if you are going to practice in New York.   

Do well in BLS you are extremely competitive in NYC. 

BTW, BLS is tied with Cardozo in empoyment prosepcts.  They both are behind Columbia, NYU and Fordham.     

carioca121

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 08:58:59 PM »
If you really know that you want to do entertainment you should stay in New York.  I work in the entertainment industry in LA and know how connection based it is.  Even though BU may be a better school overall, entertainment is pretty much only in NY and LA.  In terms of contacts, internships, etc. NY has WAY more to offer than Boston. 

els2007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 11:08:19 PM »
This is horrible advice. Don't ever give up the opportunity for a top 25 over a Tier 2 school.  Trust me I ALMOST did and knew w/ in my 1st week that I would have made a horrible horrible mistake. BU is a MUCH better law school and LAWYERS in the entertainment industry KNOW THIS.  BU places much better in top NY firms than Brooklyn..(ie many won't even consider Broolyn students)..again, this is a no-brainer.

brutal264

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 11:46:58 PM »
Go where you think you'd be happiest. You can make things happen at either school because they're such good schools!

Let us know your final decision. Good luck and congrats on having such a great decision to make.

jd2008

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 11:50:46 PM »
Go where you think you'd be happiest. You can make things happen at either school because they're such good schools!

Let us know your final decision. Good luck and congrats on having such a great decision to make.

Check the website of the NYC firms and see how well are BLS and BU grads represented. 

PleaseMr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 12:19:01 AM »
ahhh!! I thought people would help comfort my choice to turn down brooklyn. now im freaking out!  I think i am still going to go with BU.  I might end up in LA and I think a Brooklyn degree would be hugely disadvantageous.  

Well, the advice I got from my old boss (ent. lawyer in nyc) was Boston. No question.  I wanted to know everyone's opinions, but now I am just getting more concerned.  Yes, I am very scared about leaving my life behind in NYC.  I am extremely happy, but part of my happiness stems from being able to take advantage of the night life and enjoying free time.  This will not be an option during school. Also, I feel like I've made great connections NYC already that I may be able to utilize to get summer work here.  

I hope I am making the right choice.  I feel as though Brooklyn will really limit my options upon graduation.  If I decide to live anywhere besides NYC, a BU degree is at least recognizable.