;

Author Topic: 1  (Read 5336 times)

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: Widener Grad takes 27k/yr job with firm
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2005, 10:06:18 AM »
I agree.  You can't pay the loans and afford McDonald's on $27K.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2005, 10:19:34 AM »
Do you know that the last National Rookie Lawyer of the Year was a Widener grad?

Do you know that Widener is extremely competive with the "top" schools, and have taken two recent moot court competitions?

The school you go to may get you an interview, that is for sure; however, it is the graduate themselves that get the job.

Whoa, lawyers have a ROY award?? That's awesome! 

ccorsi

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2005, 10:43:53 AM »
Do you know that the last National Rookie Lawyer of the Year was a Widener grad?

Do you know that Widener is extremely competive with the "top" schools, and have taken two recent moot court competitions?

The school you go to may get you an interview, that is for sure; however, it is the graduate themselves that get the job.

Do they have a most improved as well?

I plan on tanking the first year to set expectations low and redeem myself when everyone else is on their sophmore slump.

C2

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2005, 10:52:22 AM »

Do they have a most improved as well?

I plan on tanking the first year to set expectations low and redeem myself when everyone else is on their sophmore slump.

C2

Yeah! You'll be "Comeback Player of the Year" like Tommy Maddox or Kurt Warner!

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2005, 02:16:09 PM »
I know that some people want to be lawyers and have no regard for money, but this is insane. The only way I could justify a legal job at 27K was if I got a free ride through law school, and I was independently well-off/wealthy. I love the law, but I would not invest 100,000+ in an education only to make less than I could have made working as an administrative assistant, paralegal, or even a waiter. I despise third tier toilet's, but the students there are still humans. Even the guy last in his class at Cooley deserves better than 27K, seriously.
I'd agree, its not for me either. Then again, those Supreme Court law clerks are more than happy to make $45K a year, live in a bad neighborhood in DC, withstand the burden of $125K in loans, and then, a few years later, bring in the average salary of a Supreme Court law clerk upon leaving: $325,000 starting plus fast track to partner.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2005, 02:19:47 PM »
I know that some people want to be lawyers and have no regard for money, but this is insane. The only way I could justify a legal job at 27K was if I got a free ride through law school, and I was independently well-off/wealthy. I love the law, but I would not invest 100,000+ in an education only to make less than I could have made working as an administrative assistant, paralegal, or even a waiter. I despise third tier toilet's, but the students there are still humans. Even the guy last in his class at Cooley deserves better than 27K, seriously.
I'd agree, its not for me either. Then again, those Supreme Court law clerks are more than happy to make $45K a year, live in a bad neighborhood in DC, withstand the burden of $125K in loans, and then, a few years later, bring in the average salary of a Supreme Court law clerk upon leaving: $325,000 starting plus fast track to partner.

They're keeping their eyes on the prize.   ;)
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

jdw112

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2005, 02:41:08 PM »
I'd live out of dumpsters if I could get a SCOTUS clerkship.

Precise

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2005, 03:16:21 PM »

That is $27k minus taxes is ~$22k.  If you can't make at least $60k or go to a school with good LRAP, don't go.  You'll go bankrupt trying to payoff the loans. 

Please give some calculations to support your assertion that making $27k anywhere is equal to $80k in LA.  And no, you don't need to have a $500k mortgage to live in the LA area. 

Where do you live?  I live in San Diego.  You don't need to buy a house for $475k to live in the LA metro area.  There are plenty of suburbs to the east that are cheaper.  Just looking at the city alone is not going to give you a real picture of the housing market.  LA sucks anyway.

You have no idea what you are talking about.  I live 55 miles inland of LA.  You cannot, simply CANNOT, buy a house over 1000sq ft, that meets residential code, or is not a severe fixer-upper, for $250,000.  The cheapest house you can find around these parts is about $315,000, and that's for a darn darn darn house.  Like I said, I'm 55 miles inland, and for every <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=23&k=10%20miles" onmouseover="window.status='<a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=23&k=10%20miles" onmouseover="window.status='10 miles'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">10 miles[/url]'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">10 miles[/url] you get closer to LA, expect about $15,000 added to housing prices. 

You stated you live in San Diego - spout all you want about San Diego home prices.  But you obviously have no clue what houses in the LA area cost, so perhaps you should shut up and stop speaking like a know-it-all d00shbag.

Actually, you are the one that doesnt have a clue. The guy was totally accurate. I live in a san Gabriel Valley suburb about 20-25 miles east of Los Angeles and you can definitely find housing in the 300-400k range and I live in a pretty decent neighborhood as well. A two story, 4br 3ba place in my little gated complex went for 400k last year.

militarygrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2005, 05:55:19 PM »

Actually, you are the one that doesnt have a clue. The guy was totally accurate. I live in a san Gabriel Valley suburb about 20-25 miles east of Los Angeles and you can definitely find housing in the 300-400k range and I live in a pretty decent neighborhood as well. A two story, 4br 3ba place in my little gated complex went for 400k last year.

Hey dish!t - he stated that a $250,000 house is easy to find.  Perhaps you should live true to your screen name and realize that 4br, 3ba house selling for $400k is not exactly "precise" when the discussion is about $250,000 homes.   ::)

Christ - and you want to be a lawyer?  uhhhhhhh.........

DodgerLaw

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2005, 08:49:38 PM »
I would live in a dumpster for that opportunity.

I'd live out of dumpsters if I could get a SCOTUS clerkship.