Law School Discussion

DodgerLaw

Re: Widener Grad takes 27k/yr job with firm
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 05:41:02 PM »
don't take the flame bait you guys.  I didn't start this thread so people could bash Widener.  I apologize if it takes a bad direction.  I am not going there and have no opinion on the school, just thought this information could be useful for somebody.

ditto that!

els2007 belongs on a different board.  ;)

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 06:22:37 PM »
Regarding prosecutor salaries, I live in the Bay Area CA, so the cost of living is very high ...

Still, I can live with starting at $55-60k and working up to more. (although my hefty loan debt does concern me.)
My job as a journalist connects me to a lot of people at the DAs office. I kept hearing horror stories about how low the pay is, so I finally asked someone in the know.

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 07:22:51 PM »
Regarding prosecutor salaries, I live in the Bay Area CA, so the cost of living is very high ...

Still, I can live with starting at $55-60k and working up to more. (although my hefty loan debt does concern me.)
My job as a journalist connects me to a lot of people at the DAs office. I kept hearing horror stories about how low the pay is, so I finally asked someone in the know.

Cool... and you should know then... I have heard before that the cost of living is very high there.

Good luck to you dbgirl.  :)

hilljack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 07:55:06 PM »

If you're attending a Tier 2-3-4 School you should probably reconsider your investment...

Screw that, if you don't get into Yale or Harvard, you are just stupid to go at all.  Maybe Stanford, but that is as far as I go.  If not, take your poli sci degree to Chili's and see if they are hiring.

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2005, 01:34:13 AM »
For whatever its worth-

I was talking with a friend the other day who just graduated from Widener DE (probably not at the top in ranking) and he took a job with a small firm for 27k/yr!  I was definitly taken back by this, but it really exemplifies the fact that competition for good jobs is fierce.  I must say that I am not passing judgement on the school, general job market, or anything else.  I just simply laid out the facts as I heard them from the source.  You all can make your own determinations.

Phanatic.
What is missing is the following information:  where was the job? If you made $27K in Northern Pensylvania, that would translate to working in LA and making $80k after you consider housing prices. (Know someone making $30k whose house, if in LA, couldn't be touched for under $1.5 million.) Graduating from a 4th Tier school and making the equivalent of $80K? Not bad.
Would you take $27K if you had a 50/50 chance of making partner? Would you take a job clerking at the Supreme Court for $42k? Who knows what he expects to get out of it.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2005, 01:44:58 AM »
Good comment Bosco.

Also you guys aren't stopping to think that there are people in the world that don't mind making 27k a year.

A close friend of mine is a 2L at U Texas. He is a huge hippy and doesn't care about money. He will probably work for a firm where they wear shorts and sandals and take 2 hour lunch breaks, and maybye be making as much as this Widener guy. Just because this guy isn't pulling in big bucks doesn't automatically mean thats all that was avaible to him.

EDIT: Grammar 

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2005, 01:50:37 AM »
I'm not going into law for the money ...but unless you get a completely free legal education, live in Oklahoma and have no children, I just don't see earning $27k as a choice anyone would make.

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2005, 02:23:50 AM »
i make more than that as a server.... personally though I am not worried, I am more concerned with my quality of life.  I too want to be a prosecutor. 

Al

Dont tale 27k for granted
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2005, 09:42:42 AM »
You would be surprised how many people take low paying jobs, even from top schools. For many it is a combination of quality of life and building a career. After all, residents in medschool immediately after graduation make similar low salaries.

I know people at top 10 schools who take these types of jobs, because they want to learn the ropes with a litigator who is willing to teach them and accept mistakes as they learn, rather than some partner breathing down their neck. In the end their true goal is putting up their own shingle, doing plaintiffs work and hopefully hitting that big case. In the end, no disrespect intended, but that is the best a widener grad can hope for.

Others take low paying government jobs with local courts, or municipalities because they have political ambitions

Others still go public service with hopes of being involved more high up with larger organizations in DC or locally.

Its all a matter of sacrifice now for an out of class room education that will pay off later.

I say good for him that he even has a job, and then learn what you can and go and put up your own shingle.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 11:38:09 AM »
Just like there are many different types of law schools, there are many different types of people who attend law school with different goals, skills and ambitions.  While it may be true that some don't make the big bucks (I know an attorney who made $23K upon graduation from Cooley and another from Marquette who is working at a frame shop and another from Marquette who got canned from her first two jobs and is now schlepping books for West instead of practicing), there are other more determined people who are able to present themselves fantastically at an interview (no matter what their grades, "tier" school, etc who make a very good living.

Yes, this field is very competitive, but life is also what you make it.