Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYLS, Cal Western...What Should Ido?  (Read 512 times)

michael23

• View Profile
    • Email
NYLS, Cal Western...What Should Ido?
« on: May 14, 2005, 04:20:25 PM »
I have been accepted to Cal Western (T4) and NYLS (T3). I want to end up back in California to practice. I was hoping to transfer. Should I go with NYLS and try to move up? Just want to see what everyone thinks. I am still waiting for USF and crossing my fingers for Seton Hall. It seems like they are taking forever....

**Michael**

GPA 3.5 & LSAT 149(Sad...)
Accepted: NYLS & Cal Western
Rejected: George Mason(Obviously), UNLV(tear drop), U of Hawaii, & DePaul
Still Waiting..... USF & SHU

DodgerLaw

Re: NYLS, Cal Western...What Should Ido?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 07:12:08 PM »
I would definitely recommend Cal Western for you. NYLS is not high enough ranked to consider it over a local and by T4 standards perfectly good T4.

I'm a little baffled given your desire to practice in CA why you didn't apply to more California schools.  ???

JoeSchmoe00

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 07:34:16 PM »
Go to Cal Western for Cali jobs. From what I heard, if you don't make top 10% of your class, its very hard to transfer.

Good Luck

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 07:56:05 PM »
Cal Western has a 30% attrition rate partly due to a forced curve, take that into consideration before signing for loans.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 09:16:08 PM »
You should have applied to more CA schools.  Since you did not, and want to practice in Cali, I say go with Cal Western.  San Diego is sweet.  Plus, I hear that NYLS is tearing their library apart.

michael23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 09:25:52 PM »
I didn't apply to more California schools because I was convinced NY area was for me. After vistiting a week I missed wearing shorts and sandals in march. I froze my @$$ off. It was alot of un but mroe of a place to vistit. I wanted to apply to SCU but they moved up their deadline to 2/15 this year. That left UC I didn't have a change to get into with a 149. There is always next year. I am crossing my fingers for Seton Hall and study my @$$ off to transfer back to a UC or better yet to a top nothc school like NYU. We'll see.....What do you guys thing the chances are nailing it out at Cal and transfering to UCLA or USD...is that to far fetched..... Damn LSAT....I'm bitter....

**MICHAEL**

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 09:42:03 PM »
With a 149, I think you should count yourself lucky to be in Cal Western and NYLS.

Either wait a year, retake the LSAT, and try again.  Or, go to Cal Western.

michael23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 10:16:11 PM »
Let me tell you i am not complaining at the schools I got into. I hate the LSAT though.....My friends have been screwing around all 4 year with about 2.8 but scored better on the LSAT and have many more oppurtunities........Oh well......Just going to make the most of it.... I am banking on transferring or gratuating towards the top of my class.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 03:18:00 AM »
Let me tell you i am not complaining at the schools I got into. I hate the LSAT though.....My friends have been screwing around all 4 year with about 2.8 but scored better on the LSAT and have many more oppurtunities........Oh well......Just going to make the most of it.... I am banking on transferring or gratuating towards the top of my class.

Go to Cal Western. With a 149, even if you got a 160 on a retake, you'd still be lucky to get into...well, Cal Western. Besides, it is San Deigo after all--what's the worst than can happen?

As for your 2.8 bretheren: if 2.8 is all they can muster from undergrad, unless they make major changes to their habits,  they will be doomed.  You're already ahead of them, so to speak.