Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

No money from either school, full details below... Which should I choose?

University of Michigan
 105 (65.2%)
Northwestern University
 56 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 140

Author Topic: Poll - Where do YOU think I should go?  (Read 8130 times)

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
Re: Poll - Where do YOU think I should go?
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2005, 07:53:11 PM »
FYI, I had the opportunity to talk to a 2L from UNC and two practicing attorneys from PSU Dickinson and Villanova at a wedding this weekend.  When I first mentioned my law school dilema, the 2L leaned towards Michigan, the PSU Dickinson alum leaned towards NU, and the Nova alum said it was a wash.  But once I mentioned that I really wanted to live in a metropolitan area, all 3 of them said NU was indisputably the best choice.  The Nova alum went to school in Philly specifically in order to have access to all the legal resources in a big city (Firms, courts, etc) and he said all of that is invaluable to law students. 

adviseme

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2005, 11:36:39 PM »
FYI, I had the opportunity to talk to a 2L from UNC and two practicing attorneys from PSU Dickinson and Villanova at a wedding this weekend.  When I first mentioned my law school dilema, the 2L leaned towards Michigan, the PSU Dickinson alum leaned towards NU, and the Nova alum said it was a wash.  But once I mentioned that I really wanted to live in a metropolitan area, all 3 of them said NU was indisputably the best choice.  The Nova alum went to school in Philly specifically in order to have access to all the legal resources in a big city (Firms, courts, etc) and he said all of that is invaluable to law students. 

Do not even look back.  This is the right choice for you.  It will not matter in the long range if you go to Um or NU.  Both are top ten programs. 

Good luck to you.   

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2005, 10:50:59 AM »
The law school isn't with the rest of the campus?  Wups.

For what it's worth, I would have recommended Northwestern.  You've expressed inumberable times on this board how much you like State College but want to get away from that atmosphere.  Ann Arbor is a flatter, more expensive SC. Ann Arbor is a short car or bus from Detroit.  Northwestern is an even shorter train to Chicago.  There's a big difference there. 

But now that you've made your decision, have you considered playing it to your advantage with financial aid?  I imagine this has been recommended 10-15 times, but just in case . . .

just fyi, the Law School is in downtown Chicago.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2005, 02:50:49 PM »
I did not assume any numbers.  I called the placement offices at both UM and Duke for real numbers.  Again for the past ten years it was 16 UM and 10 Duke. 

And any objective person in the legal academic and employment worlds would think you are crazy if you tell them Duke is in decline.  I will have a good weeknd of laugh. 

I didn't say that you assumed anything.  I simply pointed out that we have to assume that what you are reporting is accurate, and we also have to assume that the Duke placement office was accurate in what it told you. 

Again, if Duke has really increased its SCOTUS placement significantly in recent years (which would be surprising) good for Duke.  But it's not really on point.

As for the last point, I edited (shouldn't post drunk).  I hate Duke for reasons of college basketball anyway, so don't take any comments in that vein too seriously.    ;)

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2005, 03:00:54 PM »

Again, I agree, Burgh.  NU is the better choice for you, and I'm sure you'll have a great time. 

For the record, I have several friends who chose Michigan over Chicago, and they have no regrets.  Personal fit is simply a vital factor once you've controlled for everything else.

However, I will lose all respect for you if you can't get at least $6K from them to make up for the tutition differential.  ;)

toxic tort

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2007, 12:10:10 PM »
I thought I might point out that the OP is currently a 2L at NU. This thread is two years old.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2007, 01:30:23 PM »
Michigan, clearly.  If you were willing to ED it, what's changed?

titcr
Columbia 3L

dstyrhodes

• AOL Instant Messenger - DSTYRHODES
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2007, 02:31:47 PM »
Both are great schools.... That said, 3 years of living in one of the greatest cities in the world vs. 2 spots on USNWR?  :-\

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2007, 02:44:16 PM »
Both are great schools.... That said, 3 years of living in one of the greatest cities in the world vs. 2 spots on USNWR:-\

USNWR aside, Michigan has a long held repurtation of being a place for legal excellence.  If NU had admitted, I still would have picked Mich over it (thus the reason I wasn't too upset about the rejection  :D)
Columbia 3L