Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

No money from either school, full details below... Which should I choose?

University of Michigan
 105 (65.2%)
Northwestern University
 56 (34.8%)

Total Members Voted: 140

Author Topic: Poll - Where do YOU think I should go?  (Read 8191 times)

jd2008

• View Profile
Re: Poll - Where do YOU think I should go?
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2005, 04:21:08 PM »
Also, Michigan has a per-capita edge in SCOTUS placement, along with its absolute edge.  (Michigan's edge is even more impressive in relation to schools like NYU, Penn, Georgetown and Duke.)  And this reputational edge also probably extends to other prestigious clerkships and top jobs.  

Either you flunked your math course or I flunked my math course. 

Duke's current student body is about 650 and UM is 1149.  So UM is almost twice as large. 

Since I have so many free minutes remaining on my cell I called the career offices at UM and Duke.  For the past ten years Duke has 10 SCOTUS clerks and Michigan has 16. 

Given that UM is so much bigger, you call that an "impressive edge."  That is fuzzy math pure and simple.   

king

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2005, 04:23:20 PM »
Excellent point!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Also, Michigan has a per-capita edge in SCOTUS placement, along with its absolute edge.  (Michigan's edge is even more impressive in relation to schools like NYU, Penn, Georgetown and Duke.)  And this reputational edge also probably extends to other prestigious clerkships and top jobs.  

Duke's current student body is about 650 and UM is 1149.  So UM is almost twice as large. 

Since I have so many free minutes remaining on my cell I called the career offices at UM and Duke.  For the past ten years Duke has 10 SCOTUS clerks and Michigan has 16. 

Given that UM is so much bigger, you call that an "impressive edge."  That is fuzzy math pure and simple.   

RufusTheStuntBum

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2005, 04:58:51 PM »

Earlier in the thread she was using Leiter try to show UM was better.  Here is one Leiter ranking that shows NU as superior: http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/rankings/studentquality2005.html

Also, Leiter seems to think that the Judges and Lawyers rankings are crap:

(2) 15% of the overall score is based on reputation among lawyers and judges.  Not Manipulable.  These results reflect a survey of lawyers at large firms and federal and state judges.  The response rate is low:  less than one-third complete the surveys.  Because U.S. News only surveys large firms, the survey is also dramatically skewed towards the Northeast (especially New York City):  schools that have large alumni contingents in New York City perform, shall we say, suspiciously well in this survey by comparison to schools that are otherwise comparable.  Schools have little control over the results of this survey.

http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/rankings/guide.html

Great choice Burghblast!

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2005, 05:34:36 PM »
For what it's worth, I would have recommended Northwestern.  You've expressed inumberable times on this board how much you like State College but want to get away from that atmosphere.  Ann Arbor is a flatter, more expensive SC. Ann Arbor is a short car or bus from Detroit.  Northwestern is an even shorter train to Chicago.  There's a big difference there. 

But now that you've made your decision, have you considered playing it to your advantage with financial aid?  I imagine this has been recommended 10-15 times, but just in case . . .

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2005, 05:48:28 PM »
I just wanted to say how flattering it is that 107 people cared enough about my personal law school decision to vote in my poll, and post 135 replies!  I hope I can look forward to the same sort of collaborative group assistance in law school.

rurfrd

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2005, 05:50:58 PM »
my point wasn't that you'll be able to get to know, in a complete sense, what michigan is like after visiting for a weekend. my point was that by visiting, you might be able to get a better perspective on the law school than you have now, having never visited, and only having second-hand information about the school (from your friend and from this board). given that you're talking about spending much of the next three years of your life in one of two places, it would seem to me that since you have a couple weeks, it'd be worth the relatively small amount of time it takes to at least check michigan out; i think you'd be surprised at what sort of a feel you'd be able to get for the place in a weekend, and also, perhaps, at the differences between your perceptions and those of your ph.d-student friend and others on this board. of course, i think you should check out northwestern too, if you haven't.

but you appear to have reached a final decision, and i don't think you should look back. congrats on getting to that point, and best of luck at northwestern and in the future.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2005, 05:52:11 PM »
I just wanted to say how flattering it is that 107 people cared enough about my personal law school decision to vote in my poll, and post 135 replies!  I hope I can look forward to the same sort of collaborative group assistance in law school.

Are you kidding?  These are future lawyers we are talking about.  They are trying to dissuade you from their #1 choice in hopes that you'll free up a waitlist seat.  ;)

king

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2005, 07:07:19 PM »
I just think these rankings attempting the order the top programs are a bit ridiculous. 

I just came across a ranking table by American Lawyer which places Duke at #8 and Michigan at #11.  That same ranking places Chicago first and Harvard #5. 

And I frankly pity those who religiously buy these ranking games and make statements like school A is clearly better than school B (I mean the top ten programs).   

Earlier in the thread she was using Leiter try to show UM was better.  Here is one Leiter ranking that shows NU as superior: http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/rankings/studentquality2005.html

Also, Leiter seems to think that the Judges and Lawyers rankings are darn:

(2) 15% of the overall score is based on reputation among lawyers and judges.  Not Manipulable.  These results reflect a survey of lawyers at large firms and federal and state judges.  The response rate is low:  less than one-third complete the surveys.  Because U.S. News only surveys large firms, the survey is also dramatically skewed towards the Northeast (especially New York City):  schools that have large alumni contingents in New York City perform, shall we say, suspiciously well in this survey by comparison to schools that are otherwise comparable.  Schools have little control over the results of this survey.

http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/rankings/guide.html

Great choice Burghblast!

king

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2005, 09:05:07 PM »

NU does contend that its student body is more collaborative than those at other schools. 

Tell us next year if you find this to be true or not. 
 :D

BTW, have you thought about which lender you will use for your private loans yet?

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2005, 01:24:03 AM »
Yes, but Michigan says the same thing. ;D
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.