Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going the Judicial Route  (Read 773 times)

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Going the Judicial Route
« on: May 14, 2005, 07:31:22 AM »
Hi :) I was just wondering if any of you have considered becoming a judge -- and if so, what's a typical route?  Just trying to mooch information off of people. 
HLS

pittsburghphil

• wacha lookin' at?
    • View Profile
Re: Going the Judicial Route
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 07:44:16 AM »
i'm going the judge jury executioner route if you catch my pensive drift :-X worldwide employment; no jd required; pays better :P

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 08:45:25 AM »
lol.  Not quite the route I was talking about, but def. something to consider.  :P
HLS

Trel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 11:42:43 AM »
If you're looking to be a federal judge I'd imagine getting heavily involved in the political party of your choice is pretty much the key to it.  Once your party gets a president in office, you'll have a chance to be appointed if there's a judge vacating the bench.
You can see my numbers at LSN

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 01:04:55 PM »
Ahhh.  I knew it got pretty political at the high end.  Not sure that would be good for me - I probably don't have tough enough skin.
HLS

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 04:30:40 PM »
There are a couple of things that help you to become a federal judge: 1) political connections (it helps if you donate a bunch of money to a party, too); 2) experience working as a prosecutor, 3) clerkship experience (the higher the court, the better), and 4) stellar academic credentials.
Attending: Columbia

A.J

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 04:37:09 PM »
Hi :) I was just wondering if any of you have considered becoming a judge -- and if so, what's a typical route?  Just trying to mooch information off of people. 

Yes maam, I am.  My sights are set low.  I just want to be a superior court judge in my small little corner town here.  All I need to do is upset an incumbent in any given election.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 10:37:34 PM »
just curious . . . have you asked anybody in career services about the path to a judicial position?  What did they tell you?  I bet Harvard's cs office has more helpful information about this than many schools!

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 05:43:43 PM »
Mind Crime, that sounds like a good goal.  I'm thinking 'low' as well; that is, if I were a judge, I wouldn't want my decisions to be permeated by political considerations.  That would kind of ruin the point! Maybe family law?

Top, nope.  I consider this site my first resource. :P No but really, it just occurred to me, so I hadn't put any serious thought into it.  I was wondering how many other people out there were considering it!
HLS

A.J

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 06:23:32 PM »
Mind Crime, that sounds like a good goal.  I'm thinking 'low' as well; that is, if I were a judge, I wouldn't want my decisions to be permeated by political considerations.  That would kind of ruin the point! Maybe family law?

You call me AJ.  Meanwhile, I'll call you Judge Judy.   ;D

Joking!