Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMICH over Columbia?  (Read 718 times)

JAPAUL25

• View Profile
UMICH over Columbia?
« on: May 13, 2005, 11:47:21 PM »
I want to work in NYC at a bigfirm and I know Columbia is a slighty better law school and probably places a little better in NYC, but is it that much of a difference? I liked UMICH a lot better from visiting both schools and it would be a lot cheaper for me ...... this assuming im avg or better within my class, I should be able to get a job at a top firm in nyc? UMICH is a top 5 in terms of prestige from lawyers and judges so that makes me believe i should be ok

thank you

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UMICH over Columbia?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 07:37:09 AM »
While I would pick Columbia (have always wanted to live in New York, plus it's a great school), it sounds like Michigan is a better fit for you.  Plus it has an absolutely gorgeous campus, and you'll get a great academic experience there.  If you do well at Mich grade-wise, you should be absolutely fine in the job search.  And happiness often contributes to good performance, so you'll probably do better academically at Michigan. 

:)
HLS

Ed S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 01:01:05 PM »
Dude, dont be retarded. Columbia all day. It's a better school with a superior reputation, especially in NY. Your investing way to much time and money to not go to the best school you can. At either school all you'll do is study your ass off, so dont worry about the environment to much. NY is 100000^100000 times better to live in than Ann Arbor. Choosing UMICH over Columbia is something that you'll regret for a long time. Also, do not let cost be your deciding factor. Loan terms are very favorable and law students get money really cheap, the difference in price will amount to a couple hundred dollars a month on you student loans.

Think about it. Columbia is the obvious choice here 

michigantroll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 01:09:20 PM »
Dude, dont be retarded. Columbia all day. It's a better school with a superior reputation, especially in NY. Your investing way to much time and money to not go to the best school you can. At either school all you'll do is study your ass off, so dont worry about the environment to much. NY is 100000^100000 times better to live in than Ann Arbor. Choosing UMICH over Columbia is something that you'll regret for a long time. Also, do not let cost be your deciding factor. Loan terms are very favorable and law students get money really cheap, the difference in price will amount to a couple hundred dollars a month on you student loans.

Think about it. Columbia is the obvious choice here 

stop trolling for Columbia

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 01:28:52 PM »
I'd go for Michigan.  Better facilities, more accessible faculty (going to school outside the big city definately has it's advantages).  I would choose the school you feel most comfortable at, because class placement is going to have a much bigger difference in your job search when your attending schools as reputably similar as Michigan and Columbi (Michigan also places very strongly in New York, more Mich grads go to New York then anywhere else.)

Did you go to a Michigan visit day?  If so which one?
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 02:23:02 PM »
I'd go Columbia unless Michigan was offering full tuition. The only schools that place better in NYC would be harvard and yale.

RocketBot

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 02:35:36 PM »
After visiting Michigan, I totally know what the OP means... the law campus is absolutely impossibly enchanting (and I've visited a lot of law schools).

Would be a very hard decision for me to make, too.

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 04:16:43 PM »
The campus is really cool.  I'm pretty sure that the harry potter movies were filmed there.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

Lilli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 06:21:25 PM »
Columbia.

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 11:43:20 PM »
I've read that NYC firms go deeper in Columbia's class than Michigan's.  That, plus the ability to network with other NYC types while you're in school, gives Columbia an advantage.  I honestly don't know why this is so hard of a question.
Attending: Columbia