Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WHAT???!!!!!  (Read 20032 times)

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT???!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005, 09:58:58 PM »
IN VINO you are smarter than you look in that avatar ;)

um, she's brilliant!  ;)

no capes!

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 11:37:18 PM »
BP: Thanks for breaking out the death penalty stats.  I did a project on this issue a long time ago in the begining of my fascination with the law.  It was enlightening and frustrating because people do not understand the asymetry in the law. :-\
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 11:45:11 PM »
BP: Thanks for breaking out the death penalty stats.  I did a project on this issue a long time ago in the begining of my fascination with the law.  It was enlightening and frustrating because people do not understand the asymetry in the law. :-\

oh no doubt 3peat..when you get a chance you should check out "Death of Innocence".  It's a really good read.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Isn't my niece adorable?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2005, 03:25:35 AM »
PSR -- name me a case where this has happened -- seriously.

You REALLY think there is some place where black people are "getting off easy?" for beating and killing white people?
And how are these cases such "obvious" hate crimes?

It definitely happened in West Hollywood. I believe it was last year, but it may have been the year before. Three black men beat a white gay man nearly to death. They were calling him a cracker and a fag the entire time. Either one of those should be reason to be charged with a hate crime. If the roles would have been reversed, you bet it would have been a hate crime. I also wasn't meaning to say that it is an excusefor what happened in this case. Everyone was just talking about how white people always get off and never serve what they should serve. There is another side of this story that should be looked at that does not get attention put on it. People look at us white people and say, "Oh. That is a racist." whatever. THink that way as biggoted and racist as it is. This stuff happens, and all of it is ridiculous. I have no faith in the justice system, but a lot of it has to do with what cops have done to my sister.
"What's with today, today?"
-Lucas from "Empire Records"

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2005, 09:12:51 AM »
Everyone was just talking about how white people always get off and never serve what they should serve

It's not about white people always getting off, it's about asking what group is more likely to get off given an equal situation.  Simple.  So your one example is moot unless you can say that blacks getting off happens more often than whites. 

You REALLY think there is some place where black people are "getting off easy?" for beating and killing white people?

It definitely happened in West Hollywood. I believe it was last year, but it may have been the year before. Three black men beat a white gay man nearly to death. They were calling him a cracker and a fag the entire time. Either one of those should be reason to be charged with a hate crime. If the roles would have been reversed, you bet it would have been a hate crime. I also wasn't meaning to say that it is an excusefor what happened in this case. Everyone was just talking about how white people always get off and never serve what they should serve. There is another side of this story that should be looked at that does not get attention put on it. People look at us white people and say, "Oh. That is a racist." whatever. THink that way as biggoted and racist as it is. This stuff happens, and all of it is ridiculous. I have no faith in the justice system, but a lot of it has to do with what cops have done to my sister.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2005, 05:00:36 AM »
Everyone was just talking about how white people always get off and never serve what they should serve

It's not about white people always getting off, it's about asking what group is more likely to get off given an equal situation.  Simple.  So your one example is moot unless you can say that blacks getting off happens more often than whites. 

There are plenty of examples, but I don't feel a need to list all of them here. I'm sorry if a man being beaten nearly to death is not enough for you. There is another pretty weel known case that I could cite, but it would be beating a dead horse.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2005, 10:23:08 AM »

There are plenty of examples, but I don't feel a need to list all of them here. I'm sorry if a man being beaten nearly to death is not enough for you. There is another pretty weel known case that I could cite, but it would be beating a dead horse.

I posted statistics that showed what the RULE is regarding sentencing discrepencies between blacks and whites in the judicial system.  You try to counter this by listing EXCEPTIONS to that rule.  Exceptions do not a rule make. THINK.
HTH

OH, and for the bolded part above, that was nothing less than pitiful.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2005, 12:27:27 PM »
OK, so what happened to these guys who committed this crime PSR?
Did they get a slap on the wrist and get let go? Or did they get tried and convicted of attempted murder?
I'm real curious about this one case you came up with.

I also have to echo what BP said, as a rule, the racial discrepencies in our justice system favor white defendants.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2005, 05:53:11 PM »
Well, I don't know what happened to them besides the fact that they weren't charged with a hate crime. They news stopped covering it. It's all nice and good to say that white people getting off are the rule. It is different where the majority of the people and the cops are not white.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2005, 06:05:35 PM »
Well, I don't know what happened to them besides the fact that they weren't charged with a hate crime. They news stopped covering it. It's all nice and good to say that white people getting off are the rule. It is different where the majority of the people and the cops are not white.

Where is this pray tell?
Matter of fact, name one case where blacks should have been charged in a hate crime against a white person and they were not, and it's in a city where "the majority of the people and the cops are not white".  This happens all the time in your mind, so list ONE!
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006