Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WHAT???!!!!!  (Read 20361 times)

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT???!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 06:27:13 AM »
Caucasians don't think about race unless they are forced to.

Minorities don't want to think about race, but are forced to constantly.

I don't think the above sweeping generalization is true. Some people choose to be allies (White allies to people of color, male allies to women, straight allies to queer people). It's true that people with privelege get to choose, but some people do choose to be allies.

A sweeping generalization..perhaps. Completely untrue? No.
Yes, you are correct in saying that there are people who chose to support and defend others without incentive. But how common are they? These people that chose to help others are important, even crucial to the advancement of civil rights and basic human dignity. But these people are few and far between. That is why when they are "discovered" by the media people embrace them.
Many people may respect Mother Teresa, but how many do you know that have rushed off to Calcutta?

Does the Chinese community consider the black community? Does the black community find solidarity with the Mexican community? Does the Jewish community go out of their way to support the gay and lesbian communities? Does the gay and lesbian community extend a hand to rural depressed areas?

Perhaps there are people that will continue to go beyond the rest of us, but never in great and overwhelming numbers.

There was a white female housewife from the uppermidwest that was so inspired by the civil rights struggle in the 1960's that she drove off to the South to help and support them. Then she gave a ride to a black male co-activist. They were both gunned down while she was driving him home.

ahem..."It's actually not a surprise. It's pretty much what I figured would happen. That's just the way it is."

I have said this before, but certain cuts have gone on too long and too deep to be healed quickly, or even completely. Given time...maybe...anytime soon?
Nope. Does this mean give up the struggle? No way.
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

mikeb

• MSN Messenger - crazy_little_white_kid@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - baumy300
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 07:01:16 AM »
Another example of our legal system at its finest....

Reverse roles, four black men invite a white man to a "party" and the same thing happens.

Christ, the KKK, NRA, and NASCAR would go into convulsions.

And I am willing to bet they do hard time, instead of this 30 day garbage.

I like to see things from an unbiased perspective, but with common sense any person can see on a daily basis how skin color affects trials from North Dakota to Texas.

Does anyone remember that story of the rich kid from Texas who drove over a gothic kid?

If I remember right didn't he admit to intentionally running him down, killing him, laughing and going home, only to be slapped on the wrist?

The best was when his attorney was interviewed by a news channel and was asked if appearence is a determining factor in a jurys decision. I love his answer of "Absolutely"

Oh, check this out : http://www.city-data.com/city/Linden-Texas.html

Notice the part of 77% of the pop. is white?

Go figure, this is pathetic.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 11:41:16 PM »
Hmm, a couple observations.
So the sentence went off like it did because they defendants were white and the victim was black? That seems to be the consensus but it is still an assumption.  What are the outcomes of similar cases.  What were the other variables in this particular case?

That question raised, I agree with you that the race factor probably played (barring strong evidence the otehr way) a big part in this decision.  What can be done about this?  Its all great to stand up and say injustice injustice from a distance but whats does that do for the future.  I had a professor who wrote a book called blood justice about a lynching in 1959 where everybody got off.  I thought the weakest part of the book was that it didn't say what should be done, so...  What's to be done?
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 01:14:42 AM »
Hmm, a couple observations.
So the sentence went off like it did because they defendants were white and the victim was black? That seems to be the consensus but it is still an assumption.  What are the outcomes of similar cases.  What were the other variables in this particular case?

That question raised, I agree with you that the race factor probably played (barring strong evidence the otehr way) a big part in this decision.  What can be done about this?  Its all great to stand up and say injustice injustice from a distance but whats does that do for the future.  I had a professor who wrote a book called blood justice about a lynching in 1959 where everybody got off.  I thought the weakest part of the book was that it didn't say what should be done, so...  What's to be done?
Yes, there is no evidence to prove that the jury was lenient b/c of the race of the defendants and victim. Do you agree that the sentence is an aberation? What other simple explanation do you have? 

What is to be done here or back in 1959?  Here we can only hope the family of the victim can get a sympathetic jury and get money in a tort suit.  In 1959?  IDK, prosecute the murderers or give reparations to the family members of the victim.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

jassulli

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 03:34:26 PM »

Some white residents believe it is a fair outcome for a few "good boys" from prominent families with no previous legal trouble.

this one sentence pretty much says it all.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 04:00:14 PM »

Some white residents believe it is a fair outcome for a few "good boys" from prominent families with no previous legal trouble.

that really is the problem
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

jassulli

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 06:34:00 PM »

that really is the problem

the ironic (hypocritical?) part is that TX prides itself in having a "tough" justice system.  there is/was even a People's Court-esque show with a supposed hardass judge called "Texas Justice," i believe

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 07:43:32 PM »
Yeah, Molly Ivins had a column on "Texas-style justice" recently.  Abstract:  It sucks!  Quite amusing.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 07:59:24 PM »
...this, and other horrendous hate crimes, brought to you by GWB Jr. and friends, "We don't need no stinkin' hate crimes legislation in Texas...We don't hate the coloreds, we just like killin' em!"

(Wait a min, almost made it sound as if I were *blaming* the lynching on Bush...let's not get "stupid" here or anything  ;D)
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 08:18:52 PM »
while there may be no direct evidence that the lenient sentences were driven by racial considerations, based on the town's long history of racial tension, it's difficult to believe that the victim wasn't marginalized at least partly because he was black.