Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is My Brain Broken  (Read 2151 times)

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is My Brain Broken
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 09:53:54 AM »
LR is by far the hardest section on the LSAT.  RC & LG are pretty specific and related to less info.  LR questions are all over the place.  I am in the same boat.  I get all RC and LG right and then miss probably 10-18 combined on the LR sections.  It is starting to f&^%ing get on my nerves.
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2004, 09:58:12 AM »
as u can see, I can't even write meaningful sentences anymore.
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

Haz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2004, 10:48:22 AM »
I just took preptest 22 (June 97) and completely ACED the reading section.. never happened before.  I thought I would score at LEAST 168 or so, but after scoring the next three sections my score added up to 165... WHAT GIVES?? LR damnit! I missed a total of 14.  Even sadder is that I thought I did well while taking those sections.  :'(

Someone in another thread suggested to write out the full reason why a certain choice is correct, so that simple mistakes are never made again.  Still, there are always 1 or 2 that I have NO IDEA why a certain answer is superior to the one I chose and THATS what pisses me off about this.. Holla
Hello Wisconsin!

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2004, 11:17:48 AM »
I just took preptest 22 (June 97) and completely ACED the reading section.. never happened before.  I thought I would score at LEAST 168 or so, but after scoring the next three sections my score added up to 165... WHAT GIVES?? LR damnit! I missed a total of 14.  Even sadder is that I thought I did well while taking those sections.  :'(

Someone in another thread suggested to write out the full reason why a certain choice is correct, so that simple mistakes are never made again.  Still, there are always 1 or 2 that I have NO IDEA why a certain answer is superior to the one I chose and THATS what pisses me off about this.. Holla

you missed 14 and you scored a 165?  that doesnt make sense.  it sounds closer to being a 167...but maybe that was a particularly easy year.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2004, 11:35:41 AM »
I still have that, where one to two in each section tend to stump me.  But over all, I'd rather only miss those few, and get the others right, and still be on my way to a high score.

And those one or two are often never meant to be answered correctly.  I think if we got people on a specific test to post the couple of questions that were complete mind bogglers, there'd be one or two that pop up more frequently than any others.  Why do you think you can get a 180 with still missing a couple of questions?

Haz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2004, 12:11:56 PM »
you missed 14 and you scored a 165?  that doesnt make sense.  it sounds closer to being a 167...but maybe that was a particularly easy year.

I missed 14 in the LR sections alone, and I believe 6 in the games.
Hello Wisconsin!

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2004, 12:29:33 PM »

I missed 14 in the LR sections alone, and I believe 6 in the games.

gotcha...i thought you meant you missed 14 on the whole test.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2004, 12:40:15 PM »
I seem to run hot and cold on the LRs.  Some sections I miss one and others like 6.  I can't tell what I'm doing differently, but then again some are just easier. 
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

avh00a

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2004, 04:50:37 PM »

Ironically i just finished that exact same test today.  I thought that i was doing great until i checked the scores.
 I went...
1.RC 23/26
2.LR 17/25
3.Games 23/24
3.LR 18/26

I ended up with a 164.  It is pretty crazy how similar our scores are.  I had been getting scores in the 165-167 territory but i have been getting raped on the LR section pretty consistently. 
I know that 164 is pretty good, but i had gotten my hopes up with a few 167's that a 170 wasn't out of the question.  I guess i'm just going to have to work my a off the next week or so (i have 7 full length tests still to do)

Seriously though, does anyone have any really good tips to improve my LR performance?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2004, 05:33:42 PM »
My biggest thing in LR tends to be getting tripped up with conditional reasoning and the sufficient/necessary thing.  I know the concepts backwards and forwards, and am fine applying it in LG, but sometimes I spend time setting up the sufficient/necessary/logic conditions in LR and it ends up that I don't have to.  Or questions where you really *should* set it up, I get tripped up in the wording.

These types of questions seem to be not as prevalent in the new tests, I don't think, but then again, I could just not be seeing where logical reasoning comes into play. 

Anyone else get tripped up like this?

Oh, and to keep topic with the thread, I've found the biggest help in LR is to really figure out what needs to be done to answer each question.  Basic strategy can be found in any book, ie. Negate answer choices and see if they affect the argument for Assumption questions.  I have to say, for me, things really didn't start clicking until after my Powerscore class.  For some reason, they way they worded stuff, really just got through.  Before I was getting on average 13-16 wrong, both sections together.  Now, I'm almost always missing less than 8 or 9.  Thank god for PS...