Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown  (Read 2174 times)

GoneFission

• View Profile
Re: Georgetown
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 12:06:09 PM »
FYI, the message boards at the Georgetown admitted students site are now up.

Bacchante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 12:48:56 PM »
Need-based aid is determined by your Eligibility Index.  You can check out the calculator here:
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/calculators/granteligibility.cfm

My calculation was spot-on to what was projected, but I'm not sure that would be the case with every one.

squirrel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 03:07:26 PM »
Need-based aid is determined by your Eligibility Index. You can check out the calculator here:
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/calculators/granteligibility.cfm

My calculation was spot-on to what was projected, but I'm not sure that would be the case with every one.

the calculator was spot-on for me as well, as i got $0 from gulc and a bunch of other schools :-\. i've heard that in general, people get less aid than what the calculator predicts. looking back, i wish i had not wasted time/money doing need-access.

i do have a question about stafford loan. i know that everyone is entitled to borrow 18.5k, but the amount that is subsidized and the amount that is unsubsidized vary among people, right? for example, my 8.5k is subsidized whereas the remaining 10k is unsubsidized, and i'm wondering if other people got better deals (i.e. all 18.5k subsidized) or are all the packages the same.

FYI, the message boards at the Georgetown admitted students site are now up.

glad to know that it's finally up. it wasn't there yesterday even though the email from andy said that it'd be up by the 16th. *heading over there to check it out*
we're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Bacchante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 03:16:18 PM »
i do have a question about stafford loan. i know that everyone is entitled to borrow 18.5k, but the amount that is subsidized and the amount that is unsubsidized vary among people, right? for example, my 8.5k is subsidized whereas the remaining 10k is unsubsidized, and i'm wondering if other people got better deals (i.e. all 18.5k subsidized) or are all the packages the same.

The maxiumum subsidized Stafford Loan that anyone can get is $8,500.  So don't worry...you got the best deal.

wooshie98

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 04:06:16 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm headed to GULC too!  I noticed the message boards are up there on the website...but no one wants to be the first to post...maybe if I get bored enough at work...

I'm not living in Gewirz, which I'm starting to feel a little unsure about, cause I still want to be able to meet people and whatnot!  I feel like it will be a fun environment.  But I have cats and I wasn't willing to leave them behind...and I was worried it would be too much like a dorm (I'll have been out of undergrad for 3 years).  But I did like the sense of community...hopefully I'll make some friends in there anyway...

I went with T.H.E. loans.  I don't remember the reasons off-hand, but I remember feeling like it was the thing to do.  There wasn't a whole lot of difference between them and Access, so I feel like either one would be fine.  But I think THE had a leg up by letting you know if you're at the preferred interest rate upfront (credit score of 750 or above), letting you know which credit bureau they're going to use to check, etc.  Also, if you start at the non-preferred interest rate, after only a few on time payments they switch you to preferred, whereas I think others wait a year or something like that. 

I got a decent amount of grants as well...at least they were decent to me.  I was expecting nothing from them...I felt like at the admitted student's weekend they made it seem like they give almost no aid out whatsoever, so getting anything was a pleasant surprise.  Maybe they do that on purpose...

Anyway, I'm new to this whole lawschooldiscussion thing...just bored at working and counting down my days...

squirrel

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 05:46:22 PM »
welcome wooshie98. i'm also going to live off-campus, but i'm not too worried about meeting people. you'll see your section-mates in class everyday, and from what i heard, we'll all be camping out in the library in our first year anyway, so plenty of opportunity to meet and talk to people. if anything, living off-campus could give you a break away from all the law school craziness, but i must say that i'm very jealous of the gewirz people who can basically roll out of their beds in their pj's to go to class and be super-close to the awesome on-campus gym.
we're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

RobinHood

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 06:00:34 PM »
Thanks for posting that calculator thing--it gave me a big red ZERO. Great...So I guess that's a waste of time, filling out those forms. And what's the big deal with asking for all our parents' financial info. My parents aren't giving me a cent--why's it matter how much their house costs or how much they bring in each year? I graduated in '01, and I'd like to see my dad's face if I asked him to pay any of the tuition...
Ready or not...
Here I Come: Tulane (w/$$)/SMU (w/$$)/American/Georgetown
Still Hiding: GW/Vandy
Can't Find: UVA/UT
Go Home:AU/GMU

lizrd618

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 07:33:15 PM »
yeah, i didn't even bother filling out the need access forms. no way in hell i woulda gotten anything -- my dad got a huge raise last year. finally pulled my credit rating tho and it was better than i expected, so it doesn't look like i'm gonna have any problems getting a good interest rate on my loans - yay!

dan1234 -- well obviously the 11th floor is gonna be THE place to be  ;D. but don't worry lucy, you can come up and visit us anytime!  ;)

ok, gotta check out this message board thing tomorrow..
gpa 3.759, lsat 170 (ave.)
in: georgetown
out: stanford, harvard
waitlist purgatory: yale (i'll hold out as long as it takes, dammit!) & columbia

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2005, 04:07:51 PM »
how is everyone?  i went for gewirz (how is that pronounced?) and got in so im happy.  i cannot ait for law school.

what is everyone reading?
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

alibami_z

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2005, 04:38:58 PM »
how is everyone?  i went for gewirz (how is that pronounced?) and got in so im happy.  i cannot ait for law school.

what is everyone reading?

I think it's pronounced "ghee-wirtz."  Did you get the GULC DVD?  They say it on there.

I'll be among the off-campus crowd.  My husband and I will be leasing a condo about three blocks from campus. I'm looking forward to the commute. 

Right now I'm reading "2DO Before I Die" and "Novus Ordo Seclorum: The Intellectual Origins of the Constitution."  I'm reading a combination of "fun" reading, background reading (like economics and U.S. history), and working on the GULC reading list (I finished "Antigone" and "Gideon's Trumpet" and thought both were worthwhile reads).

I'd be interest in hearing what others are reading for fun or for background as well.
Georgetown University Law Center
Class of 2008