Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any advice on getting a deposit back?  (Read 1120 times)

Carpe JDiem

• View Profile
    • Email
Any advice on getting a deposit back?
« on: May 13, 2005, 11:58:29 AM »
Has anyone had any luck getting a deposit back from a school?  Is it a lost cause?

Anything that I could say to improve my chances?

An initial call to the office of admissions garnered a "you have to get that cleared with the Dean of Admissions" response.

I feel really bad in this case because this Dean had previously offered me a great scholarship and then upped it after I explained my financial situation.

I guess I just feel like an a**, but I had to go with the best option and I did give him a last chance to match and he said he couldn't.

Lemme know if you've had luck/what tactics you've used.

brotha

• View Profile
Re: Any advice on getting a deposit back?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 12:03:48 PM »
Spineless Liberal:

Here is my advice.  Send a written request about getting the money back.  They will accept that.

Go anybody BUT Hillary 2008!!

jd2008

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 12:12:26 PM »
There is a penalty for changing your mind so late in the game.  suck it up and move on. 

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 12:13:59 PM »
I think that you should kiss that money goodbye. 

They always stress that the seat deposits are NON-refundable.

Pray maybe?

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 08:31:38 PM »
If it says non-refunadable, I think you're going to be out of luck in trying to get your deposit back

Lilli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 09:50:39 PM »
Are you serious?

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 11:16:47 PM »
don't even bother pondering this question a moment longer.  the money is gone . . . donated to a law school you almost attended

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 11:59:52 PM »
I bought some pants about 6 months ago and want ot return them, any ideas. Oh by the way I had a bit of an accident and they smell a little, or a lot like urine. I did wash them though. Ok, I ran them under the facet for a few minutes, but that counts right. Please help, I don't have the reciept and I can't really remember where I bought them.

davisxa

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sue first; ask question later.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 01:25:13 AM »
I don't think it's a totally lost cause. While the word "deposit" would seemingly imply non-refundable, many schools have deadlines for when you can get a refund or partial refund. I think if you are extremely respectful, with a slightly panicky undertone in you voice, you may have a good shot. Explain that you used your rent money to pay the deposit. Don't be pathetic or passive aggressive about it though. If the person on the other end of the line pauses, don't say anything! Let the uncomfortable silence just be. Let them break the silence. (This is a fundraising trick, btw)
_____________________________ _____________________
3.46/170
In: U. Penn. (45k/3), Cornell(47k/3), Georgetown (66k/3), Northeastern (69k/3)
WL: NYU
"reserve"(?): Columbia
Rejected: Boalt, UCLA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=davisxa

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 01:42:34 AM »
I bought some pants about 6 months ago and want ot return them, any ideas. Oh by the way I had a bit of an accident and they smell a little, or a lot like urine. I did wash them though. Ok, I ran them under the facet for a few minutes, but that counts right. Please help, I don't have the reciept and I can't really remember where I bought them.

I think I saw those pants at Abercrombie.  You know, first it was jeans with holes, and now they are selling urine-stained pants.