Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ST. Mary's vs. South Texas Rankings  (Read 3653 times)

Futurejd

• View Profile
    • Email
ST. Mary's vs. South Texas Rankings
« on: June 03, 2004, 03:08:17 PM »
St. Marys and STCL are both 4t.  I was curious if one was better ranked. Any input on the pros and cons of each school is appreciated.  :D

Alec

• View Profile
Re: ST. Mary's vs. South Texas Rankings
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 08:03:47 PM »
Despite its low ranking, firms in Houston seem to really like South Texas. Elsewhere in Texas, you would start to face blistering competition from Texas, SMU, and Baylor. (Not that those schools' graduates aren't applying in Houston, too, but folks there are more familiar with South Texas.)

I don't know anything about St. Mary's, so I can't definitively answer your question. But I think South Texas could be a good option if you plan to stay there.

Alec

Mulder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 04:33:07 PM »
St. Mary's has had a low(er) bar pass rate but I've heard that they are taking steps to improve that. The main difference between the two schools is where do you want to practice. If it is SA then go to St. Mary's if it is Houston, go to STCL.

isaacgames

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 08:31:39 PM »
STCL is the fast track to personal injury /trial law in Htown.  St. Mary's... just pick STCL. 

Felixdcat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 08:44:30 AM »
I am currently a graduate student at St. Mary's and my older brother went to St. Mary's Law

He passed the bar on the first try, I think itís all what you make of the time your there.

Having said that the measures to remedy the bar passage situation many consider a violation of ABA rules

They have created a system of forced attrition of 20% that no one likes to talk about.
What this means is that they cut the bottom 20% automatically, which is total horse shiet because the students were essentially robbed of 20k because StMU refuses to raise standards and lower profits.

Dean Piatt has successfully divided the law school admin because its a type of cheating and embezzlement.

TUtiger05

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 09:22:15 AM »
Well, St Mary's has a much better alumni base(Sen Cornyn and a ton of Judges).  However, that being said, one of my good friends graduated from STMU law over a year ago and has yet to pass the bar (he is about to take his third crack at it), so if his case is any indication I would take STCL and just make sure to take advantage of every chance they give you to network in Houston.
3.83/171

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 12:32:06 AM »
I have absoletly no expertise in this area, so everything I am telling you is based on my perception and what I have heard about the schools and their reputations....

With that said, I would have to say that St. Mary's is the better school.  I live in SA and its reputation in this area is very respectable and I can't say as much for South Texas...although I must admist that one of the dumbest girls I ever met goes to South Texas so this might prejudice me toward the school.  St. Mary's has some very respectable alum's and a really cool summer exchange program to Europe.  Plus, St. Mary's is the only law school in San Antonio.  In Houston, you have three - South Texas, Texas Southern and UofH.   
Attending: Texas

caffeine and nicotine addict

• Sr. Citizen
  • Stay back - This is MY piss-pot!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tchnav
    • View Profile
    • Third Tier Toilet
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 12:37:35 AM »
I have absoletly no expertise in this area, so everything I am telling you is based on my perception and what I have heard about the schools and their reputations....

With that said, I would have to say that St. Mary's is the better school.  I live in SA and its reputation in this area is very respectable and I can't say as much for South Texas...although I must admist that one of the dumbest girls I ever met goes to South Texas so this might prejudice me toward the school.  St. Mary's has some very respectable alum's and a really cool summer exchange program to Europe.  Plus, St. Mary's is the only law school in San Antonio.  In Houston, you have three - South Texas, Texas Southern and UofH.   

I lived up in the Stone Oak area until this March. SA is a beautiful city and I really like St Mary's location. One could certainly do worse.
In at GULC PT/ED - WooHoo!

Troy McClure

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 11:28:11 AM »
I'm applying to Texas schools and hvae looked at both South Texas and St. Mary's a lot in addition to the higher ranked schools.  I live in Dallas, and the lawyers I've talked to here like the people they've worked with from either school (can't say the same about Texas Southern, though).

When you look at starting salaries and job placement, South Texas wins out, but Houston is also a bigger job market.

I've gone to read a lot of reviews from former and current students.  Most South Texas grads have more positive things to say than St. Mary's grads.  Of course, each one can only provide what you make of it.  Being lower tier, you will have to do well in your class to have a sucessful job search.

I'd visit both places and then decide.

Esq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ST. Mary's above South Texas for July 2004 bar
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 07:45:05 AM »
SAN ANTONIO--St. Mary's University School of Law ("StMU-Law"), San Antonio's only ABA accredited law school, is generating renewed excitement among its students and alumni.  The results for the July 2004 Bar show the first-time taker Texas bar passage rates as follows: 1) UT Austin 92.04%  2) Baylor 91.92% 3) SMU 87.84% 4) UH 85.65% 5) Texas Tech 83.95% 6) St. Mary's 79.87% 7) South Texas 69.6%  8 Wesleyan 62.6% 9) Texas Southern 52.43% .
A concerted effort among StMU-LAW's alumni, students and the administration has raised the school bar passage rate to eighty percent, landing right at the demarcation point between schools above the statewide average and those below.  The school's plan to raise its scores is clearly working.  Coming in two years ahead of schedule, this key goal has already been achieved. All indications point to increased scores in the near future.