Law School Discussion

The Man Shortage--A Brother's View

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
Re: The Man Shortage--A Brother's View
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 12:52:27 PM »
OK now that pearl has found a mate ...

I have a question for the black women. Why must black women marry black men? Is it a matter of liking a physical type, or is it a matter of feeling more connected culturally and emotionally with black men?

I am half black, my father is white. I have dated black men but my partner for life is a white man. I just don't see race as a prerequisite for a partner.

why dont you see race as a prerequisite for a partner?  Are you saying you have no standards for the men you date?   why cant race be a requirement just as income, height, looks, intelligence and the list of other things that I didnt even take the time to list that people consider? 

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 02:12:14 PM »
go to a campus like hmm howard university... the men are outnumbered 13-1... the black men on white college campuses are outnumbered 20-1 ...

how do u not realize this?

Pearl, I think you are overlooking the obvious. Women on average live about 10 years longer than men do.  This means that the discrepency in number of females versus number of males occurs after age 70 when the males die and leave a widow behind.  That article is overstressing the difference as if it actually affects any of us in the dating pool. I would be interested in the male/female ratio of adults between 20 and 35.

Thoughts?

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 03:06:01 PM »
ahem.. what's the ratio for university of arizona regarding black men to black women???

and trust me.. there are a LOT more black women at Howard than black men.. same goes for Hampton university and most other hbcus..save Morehouse College

have you ever been to any of those campuses?

Cyndra

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 03:25:10 PM »
Ha ha will you indulge my shopping habit?? That's the question. I'm so embarrased I came the other day and my neighbor was like I have three boxes in my house that the mail man left for you...but I ebay, so at least I am a bargain shopper..lol :D

Of course, I always treat my ladies right!  Shop til you drop. 

Mmmmmm.... not that's what I'm looking for! ;)

You looking to be taken care of???

The way you sound and the way you look, mmmm, yes ;)!
Seriously though, I just want someone who is capable of matching me in terms of goals and potential. I don't want to be the bread winner, you know what I mean?

Cyndra

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2005, 03:32:07 PM »
OK now that pearl has found a mate ...

I have a question for the black women. Why must black women marry black men? Is it a matter of liking a physical type, or is it a matter of feeling more connected culturally and emotionally with black men?

I am half black, my father is white. I have dated black men but my partner for life is a white man. I just don't see race as a prerequisite for a partner.

Race isn't a prereq for a partner. I've dated outside of my race and my parents (since I grew up in a predominantly white neighborhood) just knew I'd eventually marry a white or Hispanic man. But what attracts me to black men is the very fact that there weren't many around when I was growing up, outside of family that is. And from reading the OP's post, you see that they're a hot commodity. What is rare is in demand. But not to say that just any black man will do. Oh no. Unfortunately, finding one that meets my high standards (like Lawprofessor ;)) is a rarity. But hey, I'm always up for a challenge. :)

Cyndra

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2005, 03:34:02 PM »
Pearl, I think you are overlooking the obvious. Women on average live about 10 years longer than men do.  This means that the discrepency in number of females versus number of males occurs after age 70 when the males die and leave a widow behind.  That article is overstressing the difference as if it actually affects any of us in the dating pool. I would be interested in the male/female ratio of adults between 20 and 35.

Thoughts?

You must not be a black woman looking for love (in a black man). But I could be wrong...

dave303

• La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2005, 04:02:51 PM »
I think a shortage of women is far more troublesome than a shortage of men. China is going to have a huge amount of problems in the future due to its one child policy encouraging couples to have 1 boy and nothing else.

Also I agree about the life expectancy causing a discrepnacy, in many eastern european countries the ratio of women to men can be as much as 2/1 in the WW2 generation. I realize that there havent been any genocides here but the study would be more applicable if it sorted by age groups.

Cyndra

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2005, 04:12:16 PM »

You are correct :)   I have many guy friends that think there are way more males than women, however I think this has somethign to do with the fact that guys are usually involved in sports or drinking events where there is typically more males than females.

Maybe it's possible that you are just looking in the wrong places?

Church and school seem like good places IMO. I'm not into the bar/ club scenes, so meeting guys at the former places seem like my best chance at finding a man with interests similar to my own.

elegantpearl01

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2005, 04:37:16 PM »
Geez, you all lighten we are teasing about me wanting to be a spoiled, taken care of woman..sorta...lol....I work ev'ry day, at least 12-14 hours.

For me, I don't want to be with anyone other than a black men. I love my nubian princes. There's something about a black man asethically for me that is very pleasing. But more importantly, I need to be with someone who understands my struggle.  I don't want to have to decipher everything for him. I want a man who knows about my organizations and is comfortable in my world. Truthfully, I feel most comfortable around black men.  There's a stigma in the south with black women/white men due to slavery and jim crow...the horrific things that were done to black women (men too). It burns a stain in the brain for generations.  And my parents are not "feeling" me coming home with someone other than a black man.

Besides, to me there's nothing more beautiful than a black couple, obviously in love, working together on their dreams.  Beautiful thing. I love to see Black families.

I don't think the issue is the fact that women live longer than men, like Reign said, I think a big problem is the fact more brothers are in the big house than the school house..and there are some societial reasons for that.

Intuition

• We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2005, 04:53:58 PM »
I've been looking at some HBCU websites to see if I could find numbers on men enrolled vs. women enrolled...

Hampton University

Undergraduate black women: 2973
Undergraduate black men: 1757
Undergraduate white women: 75
Undergraduate white men: 84

Hampton is the only school I've found with detailed enrollment info so far. If I run across more, I'll post it as well.