Law School Discussion

USD vs Santa Clara

USD vs Santa Clara
« on: June 03, 2004, 12:34:01 PM »
Am I crazy to even be considering Santa Clara over USD?  I THINK I want to work in san fran when i gradute.  Is it just an issue of where I want to work afterwards or should I be thinking about rank which is 60 vs 90ish more?

headmachine

• new
    • AOL Instant Messenger - edhouse616
    • View Profile
    • my life
Re: USD vs Santa Clara
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 12:56:33 PM »
theres prolly a few issues if ur having problems with these two schools first like u said is location, then another major issue is what kind of law u want to practice.

since these are regional schools, in general santa clara would be better for u in sf and usd would rule for u in sd. also in norcal santa clara is up againts cal, stanford, hastings, and even davis so ur pretty far back in line as opposed to the usd legal market (which is much smaller) but also where usd is the top school..if i were u and theres no difference in money (i mean if they gave u anything) i would personally consider santa clara because of location. [note: if ur 100% sure u want to werk in sf, then werk ur butt off at santa clara and network]

another thing is what u wish to practice. i think santa clara gets a lot of play for their usnews rankings in iplaw (top 10), however the fickle rankings have dropped santa clara out of the top 10 as of 2005 - to the dismay of one of my 1L friends there. but general practice or overall facilities, faculty, i would heavily weigh usd even with its drop in the overall 2005 rankings (which are arguably meaningless) basically u should check which school will properly address ur ambition and give that school a +1.

woops...i didnt see ur parttime issue. if u can finish in 3 years that should be great and ull get the same education.however i think minor problem with PT is that u dont really get to interact with the other 1L, build relationships, etc. (for instance my buddy who is clerking in la for his 1L summer got it through a fellow 1L at santa clara) network blah blah blah but overall i would still go with santa clara - ull just have trouble finding things to do during the day cause its booooooring =)

so in the end...it all depends...as usual

:-*

crud. i sound like cho

thechoson

Re: USD vs Santa Clara
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 02:12:45 PM »
this is simple.  If you want to practice in Bay Area, go to Santa Clara.  San Diego, go to USD.

And no you are not crazy. they are both 2nd tier schools, so not really that much difference. Santa Clara is an excellent school