Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's Your Major?  (Read 2743 times)

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
What's Your Major?
« on: May 12, 2005, 05:08:45 PM »
Hey, I was reading (flipping through) a pre-law book and it said that one should take a class in accounting and microeconomics before law school.  I hate business and was shocked by this.  It got me thinking, what classes are you guys taking, if any, to prep for law school.  More generally, what major do you all have?

I'm a political science and psychology major.  Never took accounting or microeconomics.  I have an idea of what a accountant is, but I don't even know what mircoeconomics is!
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow

ilsox7

Re: What's Your Major?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 05:12:16 PM »
There was a huge thread on this a while back...might want to search for it.  As a side note, every lawyer I have talked to said they'd recommend majoring in business and taking a few political science/intensive reading courses.

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 05:15:36 PM »
Most law, particularly property torts and remedies for contract breach is based on economic principles.

I hope youre kidding about not knowing what microecon is, but just in case:  Economics is the study of resource allocation (satisfying unlimited wants with limited resources), more specifically micro focuses on individual sectors (ie households, industries, firms) while macroeconomics focuses on the interaction of whole economies

DJ-C

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 05:57:29 PM »
I was a biz major with a minor in econ.  Econ is particularly helpful in describing how law affects our economy (why minimum wages create unemployment, how open space laws artificially drive up housing costs, etc.)  I would recommend reading an easy intro to econ book, Applied Economics by Thomas Sowell comes to mind.

MSW05

• AOL Instant Messenger - portalbella
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 06:03:38 PM »
i'm a psych major w/ a minor in geology and a masters in social work, concentration in forensics.

i'm not taking any additional classes, is this something i need to get on top of for the summer???? 
MSW soon to be JD

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 06:41:04 PM »
i'm a psych major w/ a minor in geology and a masters in social work, concentration in forensics.

i'm not taking any additional classes, is this something i need to get on top of for the summer???? 

Ive heard it helps, but I don't think it is worth the time and money just to do it.

DJ-C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 06:58:31 PM »
Taking a class would not be worth it (unless you're still in UG and can take it as an elective.)  Read a book or do some research on the internet.

SH

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 09:45:26 PM »
Although I am not going to law school this fall with y'all
I am an Econ major...pretty much it prepares you for ALOT of reading
Practice LSAT156 (diag), 163, 162, 165, 167, 168, 172, 164 :(

(all within the last week and a half...which is when I decided to take the LSAT)

buslaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ransomdoll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 10:30:46 PM »
I'm a Business Management major and I think it'll definitely help. Although I'm not an econ major, I had to take about 4 econ classes including basic principles of macroeconomics and microeconomics. Along with the eco classes I had to take a couple of basic accounting classes. I'm not in law school yet, so I don't know what the ultimate effect of taking these classes are, but I do know that I had an internship at a law firm last summer and having taken these classes really helped me out.

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 01:51:49 AM »
Well I was an Art History major so I am TOTALLY prepared.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings