Law School Discussion

Am I Goiing to Law School?

Am I Goiing to Law School?
« on: June 03, 2004, 12:15:54 PM »
I have a 160/3.2 GPA.  The kicker is my Community College courses GPA is about a 2.9 because I loaded up on a bunch of courses I should not have been messing around with during high school and Freshman year of College.  Assuming I can bump up my LSATs, write a solid PS, and do what I have to do on my addendum.  Do I have a legeit chance of getting into either Santa Clara or SF?   According to lawschoolnumbers, my chances are pretty damn slim.  In additon with a 160/3.2 (2.9) can I even make it in Southwestern? 

thechoson

Re: Am I Goiing to Law School?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 12:17:36 PM »
I got into Santa Clara with a 3.2/ 165, very similar numbers. You should be fine

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 12:22:11 PM »
Forgot to mention, it gets a little worse.  I have a total of three W's on my transcripts.  2 W's on my JC transcripts and a W on my UC transcript.  BAsically, I was young and didnt think a W or two would hurt on my JC transcript.  So you guys know if the seven courses i took at JC will be weighed lighter or the same as my UC courses.

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 12:26:01 PM »
Got anything going for ya? you a URM? Got a touch of Down's? Can't leave the house without a helmet and eye patch? If any of the aforementioned apply to you, then you're golden-no sweat. If not, you'll still get in. if there's any advice i can offer it's APPLY EARLY. or at least don't apply the day AFTER the deadline. That sorta came back to bite me in the ass. 

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 01:32:44 PM »
Well assuming economy's picking up steam, all the layed off talent and fresh grads land decent jobs, therefore law schools will be easier to get into this year.

Same Situation with me:

3.2/160

made some dumb decisions f ing around back in the day, pulled 3 C's in a total of 7 courses at the local JC, also have a total of 3 W's and no TS.
Can my punkass get into Loyola if Class of 07 is the hardest year for Law school admissions?

M2

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 04:47:21 PM »
Forgot to mention, it gets a little worse.  I have a total of three W's on my transcripts.  2 W's on my JC transcripts and a W on my UC transcript.  BAsically, I was young and didnt think a W or two would hurt on my JC transcript.  So you guys know if the seven courses i took at JC will be weighed lighter or the same as my UC courses.

non-punative Ws don't mean anything.

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 05:40:23 PM »
i hope your right, i looked at the stats on LSAC website and it looks like applications have peaked, maybe we will be in for a modest decline this year.  that would be great.

Well assuming economy's picking up steam, all the layed off talent and fresh grads land decent jobs, therefore law schools will be easier to get into this year.

Same Situation with me:

3.2/160

made some dumb decisions f ing around back in the day, pulled 3 C's in a total of 7 courses at the local JC, also have a total of 3 W's and no TS.
Can my punkass get into Loyola if Class of 07 is the hardest year for Law school admissions?

forthguy

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 06:50:10 PM »
A 160/3.2?  Unless you suck in lots of other ways, I can't imagine that's going to be a problem for either Santa Clara or USF.  Those numbers put you right on the admit side of the admit/decline line for both places for this year's LSN info (which may well be nowhere near representative.)  I've got lots of work experience, but I got accepted to USF (and waitlisted at Santa Clara) -- both late applications, at the end of January -- with a 161/2.45.

Just make sure your app looks good.

Greg

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 08:42:28 PM »
Thanks guys for the feedback...

So what everyone's saying is that those seven courses that i took at JC in my sparetime which I got three C's in will not weigh down my "real GPA" of 3.2 right? 

If so then I think I should be straight.  Because I was looking pretty hurt when I learned just recently that admissions look at ALL college courses.  The pathetic part is JC courses have been helping almost everyone else on this board except in my situation where I'm getting screwed by a 3 C's on a transcript I always thought no one would see...

Cheers