Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dubya asks for a lawyer  (Read 1541 times)

jgruber

Dubya asks for a lawyer
« on: June 03, 2004, 11:44:55 AM »
Does this mean anything?  Is it a formality or should we start using the I word (impeachment)?

Newsday says:

President George W. Bush has had discussions with an outside attorney in case he needs to retain a lawyer in the investigation of who in the administration leaked the name of an undercover CIA operative, the White House confirmed Wednesday.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usbush0603a,0,3971569.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
Re: Dubya asks for a lawyer
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 01:20:59 PM »
Did you read this part of the article?

"The fact that Bush is considering hiring an outside lawyer to represent him does not necessarily suggest he might become a subject of the investigation, said St. Johns University law professor John Barrett, who worked as a prosecutor on the 1980s Iran-Contra investigation."

"It doesn't mean anything about the president being in trouble or having something to hide or being a subject of the investigation," Barrett said
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 01:23:27 PM »
Yes, I read that part.  Someone expressing their opinion.

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 01:31:35 PM »
what is your opinion?  do you think that he has some underlying intent with retaining representation?
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 01:35:00 PM »
Just that he doesn't want to face questioning without personal representation. 

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 02:06:13 PM »
Just that he doesn't want to face questioning without personal representation. 
Can you blame him?  I'd want representation with me, even if I were 100% innocent, I would want someone there that knew the law better than I did.  Even though he's the president, he is still entitled to proper representation.

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 02:11:20 PM »
My lawyer told me a long time ago never talk to anyone in authority without a lawyer.  Scream your head off asking for your lawyer, but don't say anything else.

I don't blame him.

jamie_va

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 02:58:04 PM »
Think about it - this is the woman whose husband was sent to Nigeria to investigate whether they sold uranium to Iraq (which he found no evidence of).  He publicly states that there was no evidence of this and therefore no evidence of Iraq having WMD's (and that Bush knew this) and then his wife is "mysteriously" outed as a CIA operative.
Wonder who might have been involved???