Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Texas v. BC v. BU ??  (Read 1250 times)

adbuster

• View Profile
Texas v. BC v. BU ??
« on: May 12, 2005, 11:50:39 AM »
  I am going crazy trying to decide between these three schools!  I would really prefer to get off of any one of my waitlists (UVA, GULC, Columbia and Cornell) but I need to at least start mentally preparing myself for one of my current choices if the waitlists never come through.  I'm from the Boston area and my parents live there, so there are some definite benefits to moving back there to attend BU or BC.  But even between those two I'm having a hard time making up my mind!  BU just complicated things by offering me about a 1/3 tuition scholarship.  (I am trying to get money from the other two, but nothing so far.)  Also, I visited BC over the weekend and wasnt really crazy about it...I know it's a great school and I think it has much to offer me, but I feel like it's sort of the "safe" (ie comfortable) choice.  BU would be cheaper but it doesnt offer as many programs that I'm interested in (international law, immigration law, etc) and the campus (tower) is not very inviting...

On the other hand, I think I believe that Texas is the best school of the three, and they offer a lot of programs that interest me.  The problem is that Texas is so far away from all of my family in New England and from my SO, who is planning on staying in the DC area for a while longer.  I'm a little bit afraid that, as a person with no current connections to Texas whatsoever, I might feel a little isolated?

I probably want to work in the government, a clerkship or for a public interest organization after I graduate, but I haven't ruled out the possibility of Biglaw for a few years as a means of eliminating LS debt... I'll probably be looking to intern and work in DC, NY or Boston.

Any input would be appreciated  :)  Thanks!

my nickels worth

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Texas v. BC v. BU ??
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 11:07:06 PM »
I'm from the Boston area and my parents live there, so there are some definite benefits to moving back there to attend BU or BC.  But even between those two I'm having a hard time making up my mind!  BU just complicated things by offering me about a 1/3 tuition scholarship.  (I am trying to get money from the other two, but nothing so far.)  Also, I visited BC over the weekend and wasnt really crazy about it...I know it's a great school and I think it has much to offer me, but I feel like it's sort of the "safe" (ie comfortable) choice.  BU would be cheaper but it doesnt offer as many programs that I'm interested in (international law, immigration law, etc) and the campus (tower) is not very inviting...

On the other hand, I think I believe that Texas is the best school of the three, and they offer a lot of programs that interest me.  The problem is that Texas is so far away from all of my family in New England and from my SO, who is planning on staying in the DC area for a while longer.  I'm a little bit afraid that, as a person with no current connections to Texas whatsoever, I might feel a little isolated?

I probably want to work in the government, a clerkship or for a public interest organization after I graduate, but I haven't ruled out the possibility of Biglaw for a few years as a means of eliminating LS debt... I'll probably be looking to intern and work in DC, NY or Boston.

You need a school that satisfies you in the most ways. Given your goals about working in DC, NY, or Boston, and wanting to stay near your family and SO, it seems a Boston school would be your best choice. I'd pick whichever one you liked best. I thought BU had something related to int'l law (I know they have tons of study abroad opportunities); perhaps you should look into those.

Basically, you can achieve your goals at BC or BU and not have the burden of being away from loved ones affecting your studies. Look at the two schools and figure out which will give you the best chance of fulfilling your particular pursuits of interest.

IMO, cost should be one of the last things to consider...you want to be happy and have no distractions wherever you're at, no matter if it costs a bit extra.
BU--almost through One-hell

kg201

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 02:47:32 AM »
I know BU has an international law program.  You can actually specialize in International Law if you want.  I'm doing the joint Masters program in International Relations and plan on specializing in international law.  Between BC and BU, go with BU if you want to do international law.  BC really didn't have much to offer in that area.

kg201

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 07:36:24 PM »
I chose BC over BU because by all accounts, BU is a super competitive large corporatate law training center, whereas BC is a smaller, more community-oriented school, which is what I'm into. BC has an international law program too, and a study abroad program with lots of european schools.

Well, this seems like quite an exaggeration.  According to statistics on both schools, BU and BC's enrollment are extremely close...798 for BC and 858 for BU.  At both schools, virtually the exact same percentage of grads choose the private sector, while BU has a larger percentage going into government than BC.  Just because a school may have a larger undergraduate program doesn't necessarily translate to a large law school. And out of all the BU students I have spoken with, not one has suggested it's hyper competitive at all.  In fact, I usually get quite the opposite response.  I think this has a lot to do with BU's B+ curve.

The reason I didn't choose BC was due to the feeling that it was geared more towards corporate law and that most of its grads stayed in MA.  BU seems to have a more varied academic program and seems to place better out of state.  I think too many people choose BC over BU due the hideous law building (and it is hideous!).  Let's not forget, the most valuable aspect of law school is the education you receive from the faculty.  And I believe BU's faculty has been ranked the best in the nation for the past five years or so...So they have that going for them...which is nice.

miller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 12:55:57 PM »

BC is much better for international law than BU. BU does not have as many, nor as highly regarded programs in the area. If this is truly your desire, keep the objective in mind when choosing a school. I would usually say that Texas would be the top choice followed by BC and then BU, but given that International Law is your objective, I would say BC should be the obvious choice.

However, your choice should be based on your gut feeling in the end. Feel out the schools. See how you feel when visiting each school. Your choice should be the one that is the least difficult to make. Where do you see yourself in the fall? Where would you be happiest attending? These are the questions that you should be asking yourself.

hth.

my nickels worth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 10:15:21 PM »

BC is much better for international law than BU. BU does not have as many, nor as highly regarded programs in the area. If this is truly your desire, keep the objective in mind when choosing a school. I would usually say that Texas would be the top choice followed by BC and then BU, but given that International Law is your objective, I would say BC should be the obvious choice.

Can I see your proof of this? Both schools have an intl law concentration, numerous study abroad opportunities, renown faculty in this area of the law, intl law review journals, etc. Is there some "international law program ranking" guide you consulted?
BU--almost through One-hell

Wild Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 11:14:49 AM »
Sounds like you probably want to stay in Boston, but if you do choose UT I doubt you'll feel isolated there. It's a very friendly, welcoming place. I'm from the NE originally and did an MA at UT. I made tons of friends and loved Austin. There are plenty of people from the NE.

That said, if you want to work in the NE, BU or BC is probably just as good a degree to have as UT.

adbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 01:28:29 PM »
Sounds like you probably want to stay in Boston, but if you do choose UT I doubt you'll feel isolated there. It's a very friendly, welcoming place. I'm from the NE originally and did an MA at UT. I made tons of friends and loved Austin. There are plenty of people from the NE.

That said, if you want to work in the NE, BU or BC is probably just as good a degree to have as UT.

Thanks for your comments.  I have found myself leaning a little towards UT in the past week... I actually let the BU deposit deadline slip by me, because I just felt like if I was having such a hard time making up my mind, I wouldnt be serving myself well by sending in a third (!) deposit, particularly when the second round of deposits will be due June 1st.

despite the passage of the BU deadline, I still am having these panicky moments every so often when I think I should call up BU and beg for my spot back!  I dont think that would be very wise though...  for now, it's UT if I feel like I am brave enough to take the plunge and do something different, and BC if I feel like I need to return to the comfort of "home."

any one of my four waitlists coming through would change things.

nubova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 02:34:07 PM »

It sounds like you really love Boston. If you don't want to leave, then why would you? I think BC will provide you with the exact same opportunities on the East Coast that UT would in Texas. Both are amazing schools with great reputations; in the end you should pick where you feel the most comfortable.

kchloetx82

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 04:45:36 PM »
I went to UT undergrad and have three friends in UT Law. All of them went to UT undergrad and could have gotten in elsewhere for law school, but loved Austin so much they wanted to stay. My brother recently transferred from BC to UT and says he wishes he had gone to UT all along. Austin is a really laid back, cool town and I know, according to my UT law friends, they have time to enjoy the Austin lifestyle while going to law school. I highly recommend UT if you're looking for a change of pace and some nice weather!