Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stafford through your school?  (Read 852 times)

klarkkunning

• View Profile
    • LSN profile
Stafford through your school?
« on: May 12, 2005, 10:25:15 AM »
Has anyone dug up anything substantive about borrowing directly through their school?  I am sure that it varies by institution (and that many of them don't even offer it), but I'd like to hear what others have gathered about this option.  Maryland says that if you take your loan through them, all interest etc. goes into their scholarship fund.  That is a feel-good, but am I going to screw myself out of a better deal?  Fin aid office wasn't too helpful on answering this question.  Especially when I asked if they were trying to screw me.
You are a living mockery of your ideals.  Otherwise you have set your ideals too low.

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Stafford through your school?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 11:48:12 AM »
Has anyone dug up anything substantive about borrowing directly through their school?  I am sure that it varies by institution (and that many of them don't even offer it), but I'd like to hear what others have gathered about this option.  Maryland says that if you take your loan through them, all interest etc. goes into their scholarship fund.  That is a feel-good, but am I going to screw myself out of a better deal?  Fin aid office wasn't too helpful on answering this question.  Especially when I asked if they were trying to screw me.

You just have to look at the exact details and decide if it is the best plan. There are some lenders that don't charge any origination fees so if your school does charge them I would be very hesitant to go with them.