Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: George Tenet --- don't let the door hit ya' where the good Lord split ya'  (Read 3392 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
"former Pentagon good guy" is understating it slightly...Rumsfeld and the Pentagon wishing he could take back all his praise for the guy now that he's coming under fire for possibly sharing US Security secrets with Iran.  Although they should have realized from the get-go that someone who hadn't been in Iraq in 20+ years would never be accepted by the Iraqis as their leader.  Had they not made such an assumption and got all chummy with the guy, he wouldn't have had access to such info.  What a mess!

(and another point in the CIA's/Tenet's favor...they knew Chalabi was full of it long before the US entered Iraq.  Rumsfeld should've listened...then perhaps we'd have worked on some sort of alternate exit strategy...)

jgruber

Yeah, I was understating it.  Mess is the word for this.

jgruber

Jeremy

• Sr. Citizen
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
    • Jeremyandlaw
    • Email
Yeah..but they are German and some weak Europeans.  The Italians don't see it that way nor does Tony Blair.
The ability to reason is a magnificant thing.  The ability to ignore this ability is even more amazing.

jgruber

Yeah..but they are German and some weak Europeans.  The Italians don't see it that way nor does Tony Blair.

weak?  why, because they disagree?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Tony Blair's been riding on the US's coat tails for the sole purpose of trying to keep
Britain on the main stage of world affairs.  Among the many reasons the Brits refuse to fully commit to the EU is the fact that they want to follow whatever policies they want that will help keep Britain in the spotlight, despite the fact that they've been out of the world game since WW2.  So no wonder he always sees eye to eye with Bush, right?  I mean, seriously.   Look at his political stances.  He's the body and soul of New Labour, but he just loves chumming up with one of the most backwards, conservative Presidents we've had in modern times.  Right.  Not that domestic stances/issues play a huge role in international politicking, but there must be some other motive to explain why Blair follows Bush around like a lovesick puppy.  It makes Britain important.

And who gives a @#!* about the Italians?  No offense intended for those of us with Italian heritage.  But in terms of influence on the world stage?  Bah.  And their politicans are all a mess.  I don't think Italy's opinion of Bush amounts to much.

I'm not saying that Germany's and other European's opinions count more, but if you discount them, it's then hypocritical to say Italy and Britain's support of the US is more important.