Law School Discussion

Psych-out from hard tests etc.

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
Psych-out from hard tests etc.
« on: June 03, 2004, 08:45:30 AM »
I know the test are scored on a normal distribution, but I find that if confronted with a harder test I get psyched out and have a harder time concentrating on subsequent sections (thinking about how much I f'ed the previous).  This came up last night on test 23 (which I think is a harder test since 4 wrong answers would still get you a 180).  Does anyone have any suggestions or input on this, short of "get over it." 

Also, I am 3 yrs out of school and I have been rolling the thought of getting a JD around for a while, even went through all this 2 yrs ago.  I was unhappy with my LSAT then (Oct. '02; 161) so I decided to retake it now.  I totally blew it and let the little things get to me.  When the test started and you're filling in personal info there's a little passage that you have to write and sign.  I blanked, I'm an engineer and print everything in CAPS, so I ran out of time and had to go back between each section to finish it.  My question is this; does anyone have the passage so I can practice?

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Psych-out from hard tests etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 08:59:57 AM »
I'd say there's really nothing more to do than "get over it" like you said.  I've found that all my practice tests recently have been around the 169 mark, and some of those practice tests I did way worse on than others, but still got the same score.  Once you realize (By PRACTICING!!) that even if you encounter a hard test, you're just as likely to do well, it's easier to work from there.

And as for that passage...uh, why don't you just copy out some random paragraphs in cursive?  What's practicing the actual paragraph going to do?

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 09:19:18 AM »
thanks, I think I just needed someone else to say it. as for the passage, I don't know why anything else would not work.  I'm a spaz I know, I live with it daily. :)

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 09:24:56 AM »
This happens to me, but during practice tests I have noticed that even the sections that I think are kicking my ass, I still do as well as when I think I am kincking its ass.  So I just assume that when I am taking the test, I am doing as well as I am supposed to.  If you let yourself get psyched, you will do worse.  Just keep chugging along because eventually you will get to a point where you feel you are doing well and the feeling of anxiety will go away. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 10:25:18 AM »

This is a legitamate concern.  i particularly have this problem if i hit a tough games section with reading comp right after.  i have found from doing a ton of practice tests though that i am getting better at putting the last section out of my mind and focusing on the task at hand.  still, it can linger, but there has been improvement.

its also helpful, i have found, to royally screw up a few tests and see how things have turned out.  i have found when just about everything goes wrong i still score 164-165, which gives me a little more confidence and a better ability to tell myself i can still score well, even with a blown section.  i had 1 test (i think #30) where i got 10 wrong on games and still scored a 172.  its very important to be able to recognize 1 screw-up wont tank your score. 

I know the test are scored on a normal distribution, but I find that if confronted with a harder test I get psyched out and have a harder time concentrating on subsequent sections (thinking about how much I f'ed the previous).  This came up last night on test 23 (which I think is a harder test since 4 wrong answers would still get you a 180).  Does anyone have any suggestions or input on this, short of "get over it." 

Also, I am 3 yrs out of school and I have been rolling the thought of getting a JD around for a while, even went through all this 2 yrs ago.  I was unhappy with my LSAT then (Oct. '02; 161) so I decided to retake it now.  I totally blew it and let the little things get to me.  When the test started and you're filling in personal info there's a little passage that you have to write and sign.  I blanked, I'm an engineer and print everything in CAPS, so I ran out of time and had to go back between each section to finish it.  My question is this; does anyone have the passage so I can practice?

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 10:39:59 AM »
My psych problem is that I never trust myself.  I'm so compulsive I feel the need to check every answer even if I'm possitive that A is the right one... even though I rarely ever change my answer after reading the rest of the choices.  It happens to me even on the games section where the answers are completely objective.

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 10:46:24 AM »
I tend to trust myself too much, if I know A is right I'll put A then speed through the test end up with 8 minutes left (in the RC sections) and forget which ones I haven't reviewed _completely_.  So I just male private part around for 8 minutes. Maybe I should start marking the ones I don't read all answers for... or maybe I should just read all the answers. ;)

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 10:50:43 AM »
I find that sometimes, in LR, as I'm reading the stimulis, I can immediately pick out the assumption made, and if the question is asking something re: the assumption, then if I see what I thought of in my head, i pick it and just move on.

I do mark all my questions, however.  Any that I didn't read all of the ans choices b/c I felt sure C was right, I star.  Any that I had a tough time with, or really just narrowed down to 50/50 and guessed, I circle.  So if I have time left over, I can make a second glance at the starred ones, and mull over the circled ones.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 11:13:33 AM »

I do mark all my questions, however.  Any that I didn't read all of the ans choices b/c I felt sure C was right, I star.  Any that I had a tough time with, or really just narrowed down to 50/50 and guessed, I circle.  So if I have time left over, I can make a second glance at the starred ones, and mull over the circled ones.

That's a good idea.

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 11:14:42 AM »
yeah thanks,  now I have something to try on tonight's exam.