Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can you offer any Ski Vacation Advice???  (Read 398 times)

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can you offer any Ski Vacation Advice???
« on: May 11, 2005, 04:50:04 PM »
Alright ya'll (gimme a break, I'm from Texas), my husband and I have decided to ban the Christmas-Tour-of-Families this year, and we're going skiing.  Small catch, we've told all of the family and invited them.  We don't know where we're going.  All we know for sure is that we're doing it over the week of Christmas and probably in Colorado.  Neither of us have ever been skiing in CO, we've only been to Norway.  So we have 12 people- 6 adults, 2 kids ages 5-9, and 4 20 somethings- now what???

LaneSwerver

Re: Can you offer any Ski Vacation Advice???
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 04:51:52 PM »
I'm from Texas, too, and went to Park City, UT in January. It was amazing. Great slopes for all levels, and a cool town as well. Highly recommended.

_EKC_

• Sr. Citizen
  • LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 04:53:12 PM »
oh fun! i went to CO to ski a few years ago. There were about 9 of us - we rented a house for the week with a bunch of bedrooms & bathrooms. it was a really nice place with a hot tub and sauna and everything. it was centrally located so we could go to a bunch of different resorts without driving too long. and the rental agency that we used gave us a discount on passes, and cute little safety packets too.

anyways, i'm not sure what agency we used, but that's probably the way to go with so many people.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 04:58:36 PM »
Very fun! Thanks for the info.  A bit more info- here is the guest list: myself(24 soon-to-be UH 1l, can't even stand up on the darn skis) and my husband(28, is used to skiing the slopes in Norway and/or carrying me around), Sister(21), Bro-in-law and his annoying girlfriend (both 23), Mom and her fiance, little bro and step-bro (6 and 9), Mom & Dad in laws (good skiers, drinking heavily).

My agenda so far is DON'T FORGET TO PACK THE BEER AND EARPLUGS.  Plus go buy some new ski-wear.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 05:00:03 PM »
All the liquor in Utah is sold in state liquor stores. The prices are OK, but be prepared for a weird experience. I took a full day's lesson and it was pretty cheap...maybe $75? After that, I only fell two or three times. I was there a full week.

_EKC_

• Sr. Citizen
  • LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 05:05:06 PM »
yeah, definitely take at least one lesson. it's worth it.

i think i remember breckenridge having this really great run that was beginner level and ran across the entire mountain, crossing every lift. it was super fun. i'm a blue skier, but i do a lot of green just for fun.

also, do NOT forget goggles. and wear sunscreen. gosh, i wanna go skiing so much right now!

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 05:25:16 PM »
Got it... goggles, cell phone, lesson. I have goggles, I think.  Honestly I packed all of our ski stuff up in the top of a closet as soon as we moved into our place in Houston after our honeymoon and I haven't looked at it since.  We went skiing in Norway over Christmas break.  My first time to ever put on a pair of skis... in Norway.  I couldn't even stand up!  Given, I'm not the most coordinated gal in town to begin with, and my now-husband and I were newly dating at the time-- way embarassing.  I will definately be getting a lesson first thing off this time.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 05:30:23 PM »
Park City is where they had the Olympics, BTW.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 05:34:41 PM »
Cash- the one good thing about inviting the fam, hopefully they'll feel grateful we let them come with us and they get to spend the holiday with us- hence pay for our bar excursions.

Olympics- Ya know, now that I think of it, we visited some olympic-type-jump place in Oslo that was used in '72, very steep hill, scary.

_EKC_

• Sr. Citizen
  • LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 05:42:43 PM »
last time i went skiing, i tried to use my cell phone and had NO reception. that was 2 years ago, though, so things may be better by now.

i've also heard vail is less beginner friendly than other resorts - but i've never been there. i do remember one mountain where i was uncomfortable even on the green runs. i'm thinking it was copper mountain, but i don't remember.