Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Touro Law Center  (Read 3100 times)

Confused1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Touro Law Center
« on: May 11, 2005, 04:48:42 PM »
Anyone know anything about their new law building or about the school's reputation?

Thomas 239

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Touro Law Center
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 05:21:56 PM »
I know that its a T4 school in the Manhattan area, but thats about it..
GPA: :/
LSAT: 171 (Oct. 05)

schnorer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 05:34:05 PM »
their law school campus is not in the manhattan area, it is in westchester county and yes it is a t4 school

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 05:46:42 PM »
Anyone know anything about their new law building or about the school's reputation?
It's reputation is about as low as you can get. Not sure about the building.

nycesq2005

• AOL Instant Messenger - NYCESQ2005
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 06:24:36 PM »
Touro is NOT LOCATED in Westchester County.

It is in Huntington, Long Island (Suffolk County) about an HOUR AWAY from New York City.

As pointed out above, it is ranked Tier 4. The average GPA/LSAT numbers are below th 50th percentile, about 2.9 and 151 if I recall correctly.

Touro has the lowest bar passage rate of all the NY state law schools (there are 15)..While you can get a semi-decent private law firm job from Touro if you have high grades, most graduates secure employment with public sector and local government agencies.

In terms of prestige, this is how the firms view NY State Law Schools

TIER 1 (tops)

NYU
Columbia
Cornell

TIER 2 (decent regional schools)
Fordham
---->>>>
Brooklyn
Cardozo
Hofstra
St. John's
NYLS

TIER 3 (solid local only)

Albany
Pace
Syracuse
SUNY Buffalo

TIER 4 (bad rep, piss poor bar passage rate and high attrition)

Touro
CUNY Queens

schnorer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 06:30:57 PM »
i think nyls should be ranked in the tier 3 column

brooklynman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 09:02:00 PM »

It is in Huntington, Long Island (Suffolk County) about an HOUR AWAY from New York City.

As pointed out above, it is ranked Tier 4. The average GPA/LSAT numbers are below th 50th percentile, about 2.9 and 151 if I recall correctly.

Touro has the lowest bar passage rate of all the NY state law schools (there are 15)..While you can get a semi-decent private law firm job from Touro if you have high grades, most graduates secure employment with public sector and local government agencies.

TIER 1 (tops)

NYU
Columbia
Cornell

Fordham
---->>>>
Brooklyn
Cardozo
Hofstra
St. John's
NYLS

Albany
Pace
Syracuse
SUNY Buffalo

Touro
CUNY Queens

You have no idea what you are talking about. Buffalo is harder to get into and higher ranked than both Hofstra and NYLS.

HTH

Alamss

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 09:10:32 PM »
Chill out  ::)

HTH

TIER 1 (tops)

NYU
Columbia
Cornell

Fordham
---->>>>
Brooklyn
Cardozo
Hofstra
St. John's
NYLS

Albany
Pace
Syracuse
SUNY Buffalo

Touro
CUNY Queens

You have no idea what you are talking about. Buffalo is harder to get into and higher ranked than both Hofstra and NYLS.

HTH

Thomas 239

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 12:25:11 AM »

TIER 1 (tops)

NYU
Columbia
Cornell

Fordham
---->>>>
Brooklyn
Cardozo
Hofstra
St. John's
NYLS

Albany
Pace
Syracuse
SUNY Buffalo

Touro
CUNY Queens

Fordham Law is ranked #27 in the nation- its a Tier 1 school. It doesn't have the same prestige as NYU, Cornell or Columbia- but its certainly more than just a "decent regional school" in my opinion.

Brooklyn and Cardozo are ranked #58, Fordham is #27 (which is firmly within Tier 1)- and if you look at the stats for the entering classes, you'll see that Fordham's is several cuts above Brooklyn and Cardozo- which are both still great schools that both have the top quarter of their classes getting into BigLaw after graduation. Sure NYU grads can all get into BigLaw, but half of Fordham's class can, which is still pretty damn impressive.

Both Brooklyn and Cardozo are significantly better than Hofstra and St. John's. It and Hofstra are still not on the same level as Brooklyn or Cardozo. Only about the top 10% of Hofstra and St. John's could get into BigLaw, instead of the top 25% from Brooklyn and Cardozo.

SUNY Buffalo is a Tier 2 school- NYLS is either a Tier 3 or a Tier 4 school, I don't remember which, but I do remember that Buffalo is Tier 2.
GPA: :/
LSAT: 171 (Oct. 05)

mdd

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 09:31:03 AM »
http://www.tourolaw.edu/CI/index.asp

It is a nice looking design.  The campus will be in the same complex as the new federal courts building, a state court building and the Long Island Ducks baseball stadium.  That complex is really freakin nice too.  It is the only law school in the same complex as a federal court, so that might lead to some good jobs. 

It used to be in a junior high school in Huntington, on a residential block, so I could imagine the traffic...anyway, the new Central Islip complex is supposedly going to be done by fall 2006 (haha, right).

I'm from the area, so if you desire more information, I might be able to provide it for you.