Law School Discussion

LSAT - more than twice?!

ab3

Re: LSAT - more than twice?!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 06:55:59 AM »

DO IT.  One of my best friends took it three times as well.  He took it a while ago and only got 152 - surprisingly since he's a wiz with these types of tests.  Took Princeton Review and got 151 believe it or not.  He applied to about 10 schools on the West coast and got rejected by all of them.

One of the Adcoms told him he could write it a third time.  At that point he had almost given up his prospects of ever studying law.  He decided to do it again, bumped his score up to 157 and applied to most of these schools again for this Fall - and guess what?  He got accepted by one of them immediately and is on the waitlist for all of the rest. 

I suppose in life it's about how you look at things.  Do you believe in destiny and let it guide you?  Do you let your situations and circumstances dictate where you go in life, or do you try and dictate your circumstances?  I don't know the answer to this - it's one of life's questions.  Sometimes i'm not sure if it's easier that we just follow where the wind pushes us.  Anyway, my point is, write it again.  If my friend does in fact go to law school, it's all because he wrote it a third time, and this will change his life forever.

HankieB

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 07:05:01 AM »
I'm a three-time test taker, but over a long period of time.  My first score is from Dec '99, and none of the schools to which I applied will look at scores that old, so the other two tests I took (June '03, Feb '05) definitely hold more weight. LSAC still reports the old test, by the way, so it's not like it will ever completely disappear.

My second test was only 1 pt higher than the first, but my 3rd test was 7 points higher than the second.  

I don't think that taking the test 3 times is a HUGE deal, unless you take three consecutive tests and your scores don't improve significantly.  Take your time and prep carefully so that you can feel confident about your efforts.

hxwop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 07:20:25 AM »
hankieB, I am surprised they still report the 99 score. I thought scores were no longer valid after 5 years.

HankieB

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 07:31:39 AM »
hankieB, I am surprised they still report the 99 score. I thought scores were no longer valid after 5 years.

Yeah, I would have thought so too - but there it is on all of my LSDAS reports.  My reported score average includes all three scores.  In fact, I just got something in the mail the other day from a school that wanted me to apply for next year, and they mention in the letter that LSAC reports my average score to be "X", which includes all three scores.

hxwop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 08:04:03 AM »
So, LSAC also average your score and give it to the schools in addition to the individual scores?
That sux.

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 10:48:34 PM »
So, LSAC also average your score and give it to the schools in addition to the individual scores?
That sux.

But remember -- schools themselves will generally disregrad the lower score with an 8-10 point incease.

Thou

• I am LSD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2005, 09:31:28 AM »

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2005, 09:41:57 AM »
I heard that if you have three scores, they will all be averaged regardless of point increases (not counting outdated scores).  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Denied. 

There are no "rules" per se.  People need to stop looking for universal truths.  Short and simple - if you think you can substantially beat your previous score, go for it.  If you're previous score is below 150 go for it no matter what and try to get into an accredited school.

Some schools average, some don't.  Some weight the higher score more heavily, some don't.  Some take highest score with an 8-point spread, some don't.  What if you hace an 8-point spread on three tests, all going up?  who knows, but clearly you're better off with that third score.

That said, don't fool yourself that you're going to walk in and nail it like you've never nailed it on a practice.  If you can't beat the score in practice, odds are you won't hit the score on the test.

pauld

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 10:33:18 PM »
just curious: I know LSAC retains your scores for five years, but do they only average the scores that you have within a 3 year range?

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 11:01:20 PM »
just curious: I know LSAC retains your scores for five years, but do they only average the scores that you have within a 3 year range?

Each school sets their own standards and policies with regards to which scores they consider.