Law School Discussion

Cardozo(10K) or Seton Hall(24K)

$ones

• View Profile
Cardozo(10K) or Seton Hall(24K)
« on: May 11, 2005, 11:42:33 AM »
Hey guys,

Like so many of you, I dont know what to do. My goal is to transfer into a higher Tier 1 in the Northeast after my 1L. $$$ is also a big concern for me. Calculating all costs, Dozo would probably be about an extra $20K a year.

Do you think choosing SH over Dozo would significantly hinder my transfer options?

In case I don't transfer, do you think Dozo is so much better than SH to warrant spending and extra $20K?

What do you think I should do?

Thanks.

Re: Cardozo(10K) or Seton Hall(24K)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 11:48:12 AM »
stick to sh

jdw112

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 11:55:43 AM »
I'd take Cardozo over SH, even with the price difference. I would much rather be stuck at Cardozo than SH if my transfer plans failed.

kristay

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 05:35:43 PM »
Visit the schools.  I really did not like Cardozo when I visited and withdrew not long after visiting.  I absolutely fell in love with SHU and had planned on attending until ND pulled me off the waitlist.  Had ND not accepted me, I would have happily gone to Seton Hall b/c I felt SO comfortable there and their faculty really impressed me.  The students there seemed genuinely happy and friendly. 

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 07:24:01 AM »
Visit the schools.  I really did not like Cardozo when I visited and withdrew not long after visiting.  I absolutely fell in love with SHU and had planned on attending until ND pulled me off the waitlist.  Had ND not accepted me, I would have happily gone to Seton Hall b/c I felt SO comfortable there and their faculty really impressed me.  The students there seemed genuinely happy and friendly. 
just curious but why did you not like cardozo?

kristay

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 08:32:53 AM »
I wasn't impressed with the building at all...especially considering they spent 5 years renovating it.  I didn't like the fact that the entire tour only took about 20 minutes.  Although there were a few very nice people there (the Dean, one of the admissions officials) overall, I felt that many of the staff members there were stand-offish and cold.  When I called to ask a couple of questions, the person on the phone treated me as if I were an idiot.  Were they stupid questions?  Perhaps, but I've not been treated like that at other schools I've visited by anyone in the admissions offices, etc... I don't really think that is the best way to treat someone they want to go to their school. 

In fairness, Cardozo is likely not that bad...but in comparison to the other schools I have visited (USD, Santa Clara, UConn, Fordham, Seton Hall) it was the one who impressed me the least.

$ones

• View Profile
Re: Cardozo(15K) or Seton Hall(24K)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 01:52:08 PM »
I so far have had the same accomodating experiences as Starresky in regards to Cardozo's administration. Rob Schwartz has been fantastic and made me feel wanted by his rapid correspondence and personal phone calls. More importantly, my scholarship offer has been increased to $15K. I've also been granted and institutional loan of $6K (are these low-interest or something?). Given my stats, I'm feeling wanted.

So the new scenario is Cardozo(15K) v. Seton Hall(24K). I'm definitely leaning towards Cardozo now but haven't made a final decison.

Starresky -- have you looked into housing yet?

kristay

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 06:08:56 PM »
kristay - you know I love you but I have to come in and give another perspective on Cardozo (seeing as I am probably attending this fall, haha). I have had nothing but pleasant encounters with the administration at Cardozo. Rob Schwartz, the dean of Admissions, has been extremely accomodating to me and made me feel wanted unlike Loyola, USD and George Mason, the other contenders when I was deciding. The building isn't pretty like USD or architecturally nifty like Loyola, in fact it is nothing to go home and rave about, but it does have its charm being right on the edge of Greenwich Village and being off of Fifth Avenue. The building is like an office building but I like it because it is clean and the ventilation is good (which is a MUST for me as superficial as that sounds) and everything is in one place. The elevators would annoy me pretty quickly as there are only two but at least I don't have to worry about parking :) I know nothing about Seton Hall, but I thought I'd throw in a few positives about Cardozo. I think it is a matter of taste and you have to see it for yourself.

Oh I agree that Dean Schwartz is wonderful.  So is Selene Steelman!  They are both great and offered to increase my scholarship when I withdrew.  It just wasn't the school for me...but it is still a wonderful school that MANY people are very very happy at! :)

I really don't like to say negative things about any school...I really should have answered in a PM instead.  Sorry!

Trancer

• Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 04:47:35 AM »
When i visited SHU they had a pretty decent reception.  The area is not very nice plus parking will be a female dog.  Since i will be driving NJ traffic is gonna be a massive headache.  I got 16g's from SHU and the same from Pace but i think ultimately my decision will come down to a coin toss =).  How important is rank??

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 08:04:37 AM »
i appreciate both sides but have heard very few negatives about cardozo.  i also withdrew and chose another ny school with less money because of several reasons.  i was wondering just to see if you had the same complaints as i did.  of course dean schwartz is amazing and was one of the few reasons that i considered it for as long as i did but then i thought about the fact that i will not be dealing with him after school starts so i finally withdrew.  so anyway thanks.