Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Undecided...what about AID?  (Read 1312 times)

MBL

• View Profile
Undecided...what about AID?
« on: May 11, 2005, 01:10:59 PM »
I am still waiting to hear from USC.  I am in at Loyola LA and Hastings.  I havent decided which I want to go to yet.  SC is my first choice, but they are lagging.  In the mean time, Loyola and Hastings are pressing me to get my financial aid stuff in order. 

Q: can i apply for finanical aid to Loyola and Hastings, then bail on both if I get into USC? OR is there some type of obligation attached once you have submitted a signed Master Promissory Note?

Thanks. 

Argyle Boots

• View Profile
Re: Undecided...what about AID?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 04:16:53 PM »
bump this

I have seat deposits in at 2 schools - 1 has an aid accepting deadline of July 15, the other says whenever.  I'm curious about whether that is truly the time to pick one school or if more than another one can still hang in there after acceptance of one school's aid package.

Thoughts, please?
Deciding between OSU($) and UCinci($)

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 06:05:45 PM »
As far as I know, you don't have to sign the MPN right away.  In fact, I do believe you can just accepting your award at the level of the school, and then wait as long as you want.  (In UG, I accepted 5k in Federal loans for my senior year but did not ask for them to be disbursed until 3 weeks before graduation...)  So as far as I can tell, you can accept with a school and keep it in your pocket.  Or at least my school permitted this.

My suggestion: ask.  Call the direct loan program or the people at FAFSA directly.  They should know (or at least tell you whom it is better to ask).

MBL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 06:22:07 PM »
Hastings said that you DO need to sign the MPN.  I am not sure about Loyola (la), does anyone know?

How does it work if you are undecided, and apply for and recieve aid from more than one school? Can you just tell the school you didnt choose (and the lender) "no thanks" at the last minute?

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 07:14:47 PM »
Hastings said that you DO need to sign the MPN.  I am not sure about Loyola (la), does anyone know?

How does it work if you are undecided, and apply for and recieve aid from more than one school? Can you just tell the school you didnt choose (and the lender) "no thanks" at the last minute?

I did. This past January, I was on my way to Baylor for the spring admission program and I then got my acceptance to Arizona which was my number 1 choice. I had all my financial aid set and the money was already at Baylor. I didn't even have to call them- the money just got sent back to the lender and was taken off of my account

MBL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 07:22:49 PM »
Thanks.  Guess I will get my aid for Hastings & Loyola, and keep holding out for SC.