Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Asking for scholarship money  (Read 436 times)

JodiG3

• View Profile
    • Email
Asking for scholarship money
« on: May 11, 2005, 10:10:09 AM »
When I was accepted, I wasn't offered any kind of merit scholarship money.  I talked to the admissions office and they told me I could write a letter of reconsideration for some $$$.  Any advice what to put in the letter?  Also, here's the thing - I'll be going part time in the evening, and working full time during the day.  My FAFSA says I can afford some crazy amount for school, when in actuality I can afford at best half what they claim. 

Any advice/suggestions?  Thank you so much for your help!
Going to St Johns!

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: Asking for scholarship money
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 11:02:58 AM »
first, as tactfully as you can, communicate the idea that without scholarship money, you won't be able to attend the school.  this kind of argument is made more powerful if you have a competing offer with scholarship money.

second, very clearly explain all of the extenuating circumstances that make the FAFSA EFC unrealistic for you.  i'm not sure if you have or are expecting any unusual expenses in the coming year, but if you are, detail those.

just keep in mind that almost all schools expect most of their students to take on some amount of debt to finance law school, so don't be surprised if the school comes back to you and says no.

JodiG3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 03:28:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice....I'm already kind of accepting the fact that I have to finance the whole thing with loans, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask for $, just in case some miracle occurs and they give it to me!  Unfortunately, I don't have anything persuasive to help with my argument...nobody gave me any scholarships.  :( 
Going to St Johns!

ErinKG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 02:11:29 AM »
I think it would be good to add something about what you would bring to the school. Are you an older student with lots of life experience? Diverse in some other way? They are looking for people who stand out. Let them know why you are great and why you deserve the money more than another person. Certainly, it's good to mention your financial issues, but I really feel that you should go beyond that.

Erin