Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How good are my chances?  (Read 1230 times)

kimchee_law

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
How good are my chances?
« on: October 24, 2003, 01:52:55 AM »
Hi, I'm trying to decide where to apply...

LSAT: 171-175
GPA breakdown:
  freshman - 3.08
  sophomore - 3.76
  junior - 3.85
  senior - 3.83
3.61 UGPA upon graduation
3.65-3.67 LSAC... MAY be able to break 3.7.

class rank: top third?  no idea.  average GPA is around 3.35.

Do I have a chance at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia?  What do you think me chances are... 40/60?  30/70?  What about Georgetown, NYU, U Chicago?  

Activities aren't great: Only one leadership position (freshman leader) for sophomore year.  Abroad one year.  Riding team.  Religious group.

Major: English.  Possibly English/Philosophy double major.

Do you think I should just take a year off after graduation, maybe work... then apply the next year?  I'd have to work somewhere impressive, though, wouldn't I?  How can I get that kind of job without being a law student?

Jennifer C

• You want me to do WHAT?...for how much?...... Sure
    • MSN Messenger - coleman725@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Stygian+Lure
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - stay_put_darling
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re:How good are my chances?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 08:33:36 AM »
You LSAT scores are right in those schools ranges, however, your UGPA is a bit low for the first set (Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia). But you're not far off. The second set of schools (Georgetown, NYU, U Chicago) are a pretty good bet. Perhaps apply to all three from the second set, and one (or two) from the first set.

A year off might be recommended if you can get some killer experience. It might even been beneficial to you in general to take a breather (you won't be getting one for a while ;) ). If you are fluent or semi-fluent in a language, a year abroad might do you some good as well. Being confident in a language other than Spanish (because it is so common) would also give you a nice boost. A double major would also give you a slight lift, as they tend to be harder to obtain.
Don't like what I had to say. Email me: Coleman725@hotmail.com