Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Academia Abroad in the UK?  (Read 827 times)

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Academia Abroad in the UK?
« on: May 11, 2005, 05:43:18 AM »
Hey, all :) I realize my opportunities are limited by getting a JD in America and then working in the UK, but I was wondering whether any of you knew of UK universities that hire JDs to teach American law.  I'd just like to know all of my options -- hopefully there are more options than just tax, intellectual property, and M&A for American firms with London branches.  For that matter, any suggestions about public service would also be nice. :)
HLS

cosimodo

• View Profile
Re: Academia Abroad in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 07:56:26 AM »
I've been looking into this aswell.  A lot of universities have JDs on their law faculty (Cambridge, Edinburgh, Manchester, UCL... and others I can't remember), but I get the impression that if your JD and background is anything but mindblowing, you'll need an LLM  or PhD (from anywhere).  Also, they don't always specifically teach American law: Janet Brewer, at Manchester, teaches medical and criminal law, and Sarah Armstrong at Edinburgh teaches "Sociology of Law".

I hadn't even thought of public service... but I'll look into it-- it might be easier for me, already being in the UK  :)  But do post back if you learn anything, please!

(edit: just realised you're here just now too, sorry)

Hey, all :) I realize my opportunities are limited by getting a JD in America and then working in the UK, but I was wondering whether any of you knew of UK universities that hire JDs to teach American law.  I'd just like to know all of my options -- hopefully there are more options than just tax, intellectual property, and M&A for American firms with London branches.  For that matter, any suggestions about public service would also be nice. :)

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 08:05:24 AM »
Hey, thanks for the info!  Very helpful :) 
HLS

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 08:23:10 PM »
I don't know a lot about law in the UK, but I did use to live there and knew a lot of expats that work in Europe.  As far as jobs go I'm guessing your best bet is to get a job as a consultant or work at the American Embassy, unfortunately both jobs probably won't give you that much stability and you may not be able to stay in one place long term.  There is always the possibility of going the business angle and working for a UK company that deals heavily with the US and would need an in house attorney/consultant. 
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 07:03:26 AM »
Good points, allison.  To be honest, I'm getting less hot on the idea of working in the UK.  The opportunities are just so limited; plus, I don't think I can live that far away from my family (in CA).  Not quite sure where that leaves things with the bf (he's English), but we're taking it day by day.  Love conquers all, right? :)
HLS

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 01:40:26 AM »
Whoa English boyfriend, living in California, that is my freshman year of college all over again.  Weird.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 06:52:39 AM »
Hi, I'm in the UK... I'm curious, why do you think opportunities here are limited? I ask because I think there is great potential for you to work in an international firm in the UK, if that is what you choose to do. And requalifying into English law isn't very problematic if you decide the corporate world insn't for you. Have you contacted the Law Society or looked them up online?
It seems to me that for academia, regardless of whether you are in the UK or US, yo probably need a PhD. But I totally understand that you're hesitant about moving far from your family! I'm moving to CA from London and I will miss mine like crazy!
Good luck with your decision.

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 05:57:59 PM »
Small world, Allison!

Lgirl, I really hope that you are right.  Really really.  You're one of the first people who's been really optimistic about opportunities out here! We should form a support group :)
HLS

Lgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 09:00:49 AM »
I mean it though! But I am curious and interested to know why you think they may not be. If you tell me, I may be able to appease your fears. I'm sure you have too, but I've researched this very extensively. So PM me when you have a moment! Take care, LG

blondielaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 10:28:49 AM »
Does your school offer any study abroad in England?  That might be a way to get your foot in the door if you can get an internship over there.  At the very least, you can get some contacts and find out more about the differences between US law and UK law.
I don't think it would be too hard... but I also own a book about living and working in Scotland.  Hopefully I'm not being too optimistic!