Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Columbia Dilemma  (Read 2387 times)

ivyleagueperson

• View Profile
    • Email
Columbia Dilemma
« on: May 11, 2005, 03:29:09 AM »
Hey everyone,
So i just got my financial aid package from Columbia, and they're only giving me 10,000 next year.  Therefore, I'm kind of in a quandry between Columbia and Widener (where I've been given a full ride).  And Widener has a great international law program, rivaling Columbia's.  WHAT SHOULD I DO?

hocuspocus

• View Profile
Re: Columbia Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 07:13:37 AM »
This can't be a serious post.

icequeen76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 01:07:49 PM »
Why can't it be a serious post?  I would graduate Columbia with $175,000 in debt and UCLA with $65,000 in debt.  That's not chump change, especially since I'm going into PI. I'm probably going to choose UCLA unless Columbia gives me some $$. I'm sure the OP feels the same way!

Edster

• It'll be okay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 01:19:45 PM »
Why can't it be a serious post?  I would graduate Columbia with $175,000 in debt and UCLA with $65,000 in debt.  That's not chump change, especially since I'm going into PI. I'm probably going to choose UCLA unless Columbia gives me some $$. I'm sure the OP feels the same way!

Umm, there's a big difference between UCLA (top 15) and Widener (tier 4). Choosing UCLA over Columbia for financial reasons, especially for PI, is a respectable decision. Choosing Widener over Columbia for any reason proves that Columbia's admissions office made a mistake.

I'm with hocuspocus - I hope this is a joke.
EMC on LSN

Attending: Chicago
Accepted: Chicago ($), Columbia, NYU ($), UVA ($), Penn ($), Duke ($), Vanderbilt ($), Texas ($)
Waitlisted: Michigan (withdrawn)
Dings: Harvard, Yale and 4/4 graduate schools

Donkey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the beef?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 01:22:12 PM »
Hey everyone,
So i just got my financial aid package from Columbia, and they're only giving me 10,000 next year.  Therefore, I'm kind of in a quandry between Columbia and Widener (where I've been given a full ride).  And Widener has a great international law program, rivaling Columbia's.  WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Go to Widener. You two deserve each other.
Hippies suck.

dreamer1

• Sr. Citizen
  • CLS '08
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 04:15:50 PM »
Are you kidding me?????

Georgetown gave me $75K and Columbia gave me half of that. I still put down my deposit at Columbia. And you know Georgetown is really good at international law, and my decision appears to have been easier for me than for you.
Attending: Columbia Law School

Thomas 239

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 05:26:45 PM »
Go to Columbia! Even if Widener was willing to waive the tuition and pay you 40k per year to go there, and Columbia offered you no scholarship, you would still be much better off going to Columbia in my opinion.

Its not that Widener is so awful, its just that you'll get a truly world-class legal education at Columbia that you won't find in any T4 school.
GPA: :/
LSAT: 171 (Oct. 05)

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 05:53:43 PM »
Hey everyone,
(Assuming this isn't a joke post.) The starting salary one would get from graduating from Columbia would yield repayment duration of 3 years (or so). After three years, a Columbia graduate would be making around $160K, the Widener, $60. How much you take out in loans for a top 10 school means NOTHING compared to what you will earn upon graduation. Go to Columbia.

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 05:59:08 PM »
Go to Widener.  CLS is seriously over-rated.  They don't even teach you real law...it's all just "theory," which of course will not be very useful to you when you're a practicing lawyer.  Widener, by contrast, is up and coming, and it will probably fit you better.    Don't be fooled by the good job offers that CLS grads get when they finish their three years.  I mean, you will be much better off making $30K a year than $150K; just think of all of the money that you will save in taxes.
Attending: Columbia

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 06:54:56 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just wondering, where did you hear that Widener's international law program rivals Columbia? Did Widener tell you this?