Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey, Cleveland-Marshall people!  (Read 704 times)

superduck

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey, Cleveland-Marshall people!
« on: May 10, 2005, 10:15:32 PM »
Let's chat it up here. Looks like I am going to attend C-M this fall.

I am a Korean guy living in Korea (South, of course!) and a little nervous and excited about my legal study ahead. How are you guys preparing for this fall?

I would love to hear back from any of you on this board.

BTW, how are you preparing for the housing and stuff? Since I am away, it is hard to take care of that part. Maybe I need to contact the school.

superduck

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hey, Cleveland-Marshall people!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 06:34:26 PM »
Thanks a lot, elosia! Hope your school life in Case will be great.

I think I will e-mail the school to find out about it. I didn't know that the neighborhood around the school was such a bad place to live.

Anyone else going to C-M?

laurlaw05

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 08:14:44 PM »
Hi there  :) I'm going to C-M in the fall. I visited in March and eloisa is right--the area right around campus is not great. I'm a little worried about it myself, but I'm hoping that it won't have much of an effect since we'll be in one building most of the time and commuting out at the end of the day! My boyfriend is headed to Case, which is in a MUCH nicer area, and Cleveland Heights and University Heights are nice neighborhoods. I plan on looking for an apartment soon after graduation (so in the next few weeks) and personally I've heard nothing but good things about Lakewood. I'm probably going to focus my search there. The apartments there seem to be larger and for less money than in some of the other suburbs, but I won't know for sure until I look! I'd contact C-M about the housing since you aren't living in the US.

Other than looking for an apartment very soon, I suppose I'm preparing by figuring out how to become an Ohio resident next year so that I can reap the tuition benefits during 2L and 3L. I'm also going to read some books about law school and try and figure it out a little--right now it's a mystery to me how I'm going to adjust and do well in such a new living and learning environment! Everyone on this board talks about different study aides and books and flashcards to buy to help with exams and briefs or just to understand the material taught in class, and I don't even know what they're talking about, so that's just as scary to me as anything else involved with starting at a new school.  :-\

CheezWiz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 03:57:57 AM »
Hey ya'll!

I am also C-M bound... and soon too!  I am packing over the weekend -- THIS WEEKEND -- and driving across the country.  I am in the LCOP program so I have to START school on the 31st.  I've been having fun setting up my C-M accounts.  I got my law e-mail address and got acceess CampusNet; I'm super stoked!

I grew up in Cleveland Heights but have also lived in Rhode Island, the Virgin Islands, San Diego, and now Utah for my UGrad.  Now, my family lives out in the far eastern suburbs of Cleveland (almost out in the country).  So, I am not just comming to law school but I'm also comming home.

SuperDuck, I don't know what your situation is, but unless you're bringing a car, you better stay closer to campus.  While we all have to pay $25.00 for a bus pass you should know that public transportation in Cleveland SUCKS!!!  So, if you're planning on public transportation like most international countries have... forget it.  You'll wait 15-30 minutes for a bus rather than 2 to 5 minutes like in most places (UK/EU).  Just something to think about when planning where you'll live.

Here is some information that may help you:

Campus International Services and Programs:  cispcsu@csuohio.edu or (216) 687-3910

Office of Off-Campus Housing: http://www.csuohio.edu/studentlife/info/off-campushousing.html

Also, there is an on-campus housing program for Law students only.

hth, I know how hard it is to move from UT to OH, I can only imagine how you're feeling moveing from S. Korea to OH.  Good luck!

faith2005

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 10:51:41 AM »
aww, future Clevelanders. Take care! and enjoy Ohio! I'm from the east side of Cleveland and lived all my life there. And yes, public transportation sucks! i didn't have a car until last year, so I know all of the bus routes. most of them are horrible. :( and i think there are some nice condos that are downtown nearer to the flats. the area is being redeveloped and I think that they are supposed to be pretty nice. I don't like the west side, but more power to you if you want to live in lakewood. :)

CheezWiz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 12:26:38 PM »
faith,
Whaen haven't the flats been under re-development?  :D ;D ;)  It's almost as bad as Mayfield road's construction.  I left Cleveland in 1994, when my family moved back in 2001 it was still under construction in parts.

Are the flat's any better now?  What else are people doing downtown?

faith2005

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 12:53:02 PM »
HAHAHA! yeah, thats true, but I feel like some of the apartments down there are pretty new, definitely after 2000. I'm not that sure about it though. I think the night life in Cleveland still sucks. I went to a really cool party once at Peabody's though. I think it was a mistake!  :D I don't think downtown has changed that much at all, but thats just me.

Black Jesus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 04:36:02 PM »
YO! What up? Black Jesus here. I might be going to C-M. How did y'all like it??? Was the first year good? I am going to be visiting next weekend - what should I check out? I hear that rent is cheap, food is good, and that if you do well, you can land some killer jobs (Jones Day?)! Let me know what you think. I am psyched.