Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Hastings Vs. San Diego  (Read 6018 times)

sarahybarey

• View Profile
    • Email
UC Hastings Vs. San Diego
« on: May 10, 2005, 07:12:47 PM »
Ok help me choose! I was accepted to UC Hastings and am waiting for USD. I am from SD and love the area. I plan to live in the area regardless of where I go. So should I go to Hastings or USD?

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UC Hastings Vs. San Diego
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 07:26:58 PM »
Ranking either 63 (USD) or 41 (Hastings) is a big difference... Also, Hastings used to be a lot higher, so even if it doesn't go up a lot in the near future, it's still not as "down" as USD...

I'd say, if you want more opportunities, go with Hastings.  Hastings will still get you a job in San Diego, but I'm not so sure that San Diego would get you a job much elsewhere (much less in SF, where there are sooo many law schools).

I know you plan on staying in San Diego after school, but I think you can do that with a Hastings JD--and go other places if ever you wanted, whereas the USD JD would probably limit your options more...

I say go with Hastings.  The weather will suck in comparison, but you'll have the obviously more marketable degree.  Besides, it's not like wanting to work in New York but going to school in Nebraska.  SD is your home town--they'll welcome you back, especially with a degree from such a highly respected school as Hastings...

danno51

• MSN Messenger - dannyeverakes
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - daneverakes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 07:46:38 PM »
I think if you want to and you know for sure you want to be in San Diego, I personally would go with USD.  I got into SD and was waitlisted at Hastings but I think that even had i gotten into Hastings I would have gone to USD cuz i wanted to live in San Diego.  Its a tough choice based on ranking, but since USD is the main respected law school and the only top 100 law school in San Diego, most of the firms hire a ton of USD grads and the name goes a really long way in San Diego.  I had a friend who just graduated Hastings and she moved down to the OC and it took her forever to find a job and she is now working 100 hours a week doing worker's comp law at a mid sized firm.  I know this is only one anecdotal story, but I think USD will carry you farther and youwill make many more connections in San Diego than Hastings.  Of course, if you think you may want to go anywhere else, go with Hastings.  Im with you though, I went to UCSD and have lived back in LA for the past 5 years, and I dont know why I ever left.  I cant wait to move back down to San Diego
Heading to USD in August, Viva San Diego

kristay

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 07:56:34 PM »
I would go to USD over Hastings if you are sure you want to stay in San Diego.  USD owns the SD market, and I think that the atmosphere of the school is far better than at Hastings.  The rankings don't matter that much, especially between low first tier and high second tier.  USD also has the 3rd highest bar passage rate in California.  The only reason I would consider Hastings over USD is b/c of in state tuition reasons.

ts369697

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 08:13:15 PM »
I live in SD and gotta agree with one of the last posters who said it dominates the SD area. as you already know, USD has a pretty good reputation around here. if you plan on working here eventually anyway, you wont lose jobs because you chose to go to the best law school in the city.

dafatha00

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 08:33:40 PM »
If you're absolutely positive that you want to practice in San Diego, than USD may be the better choice.

Having said that, UC Hastings is better school all around. If you want to practice in other cities besides San Diego, UC Hastings actually has some national pull with law firms, whereas USD would not.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 08:36:20 PM »
I agree with what everyone else said. I'm pretty sure though that hastings is quite a bit cheaper that USD, are you sure you wouldn't want to work in LA or San Francisco? San Diego is nice but its a smaller legal market. I'm going to USD but if I had the choice I'd choose hastings.

Paikea

• Sr. Citizen
  • One year down, two more to go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 09:45:36 PM »
If I knew that SD was where I wanted to live and practice, USD would be my choice as well.  Most importantly, you will have a far greater ability to make contacts. And as far as being able to go to other markets to practice later on, there are always firms looking for attorneys with experience...especially if you initially become employed somewhere where you might actually obtain litigation experience.
"Those who want the Government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination." - Harry S. Truman

"All bad precedents begin with justifiable measures."  - Julius Caesar

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 08:04:53 AM »
Sarahybarey,

I was accepted by UC Hastings and USD.
I chose USD.
It's a tough decsion.
My situation was more complex.  My wife and I are both attending law school, and USD was the only one to accept both of us.  My wife is still waiting on USF, and would probably be accepted, but we are still headed to USD no mattter what.  We are both attending PT.  It also helps that I got a job at a law firm in SD.

You probably can't go wrong with choosing USD if you want to end up in SD, but I do believe that Hastings has a better reputation overall in CA in general.  So, if you have any notion of living elsewhere, attend Hastings.  It is cheaper (by ~10k) as dave303 mentioned.  Also, you will NOT have a tough time getting a job in SD with a Hastings degree (even if USD dominates in SD).  You'll probably do just as well as USD grads in SD, and perhaps even better.

So, bottome line, do you want to save ~30K over 3 years, and where do you want to live during LS?

awhomer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 12:26:19 PM »
I am told that PillsburyWinthrop's SD office actively recruits from Hastings but not USD.  They are one of the larger national law firms with a presence in SD, but of course only a single datapoint.  I live in San Diego, and it kills me that I'm leaving for law school (Tulane), but given your choices I would be going to Hastings without question.  USD is unheard of outside of CA...the UC's, on the whole, are regarded as the best public university system in the country.