Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Hastings Vs. San Diego  (Read 5938 times)

ronin3782

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - matsuishir
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UC Hastings Vs. San Diego
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 01:41:18 AM »
Go with Hastings. At least biglaw in SD knows and respects the rep more than USD. If you were going to be a gunner at USD, and knew you were going to be law review top 5%, then go that route...but if you are an avg student...go Hastings...more options and rep.
I will miss LA :-(

rm5400

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 12:04:26 PM »
I am told that PillsburyWinthrop's SD office actively recruits from Hastings but not USD.  They are one of the larger national law firms with a presence in SD, but of course only a single datapoint.  I live in San Diego, and it kills me that I'm leaving for law school (Tulane), but given your choices I would be going to Hastings without question.  USD is unheard of outside of CA...the UC's, on the whole, are regarded as the best public university system in the country. 

It lists, in Princetone Review Top 117 law schools (for what its worth), Pillsbury Winthrop as one of the "common" recruiters for USD.  Who knows, but it might deserve some phone calls before taking that as fact. 
163, 2.9
Attending: USD

thelawmantis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 04:20:28 PM »
if quality-of-environment means a lot to you, stick with USD. I grew up in San Diego (and will be returning to the area for law school). I can tell you first hand that the tenderloin (where hastings is located) is ouright horrible and dangerous. They film "cops san francisco" in the area.

The bay area is an entirely different animal than san diego, make sure it's where you want to study (and live) before making your decision. 

I encourage you to visit.

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 04:32:19 PM »
if quality-of-environment means a lot to you, stick with USD. I grew up in San Diego (and will be returning to the area for law school). I can tell you first hand that the tenderloin (where hastings is located) is ouright horrible and dangerous. They film "cops san francisco" in the area.

The bay area is an entirely different animal than san diego, make sure it's where you want to study (and live) before making your decision. 

I encourage you to visit.

Yes, the Tenderloin is horrendous.  But there are other, nicer areas that border Hastings just fine.  Also, the immiedate area of the law school is just fine.  (In fact, the safest way to get to the nearby City Hall is by passing in front of Hastings...) 

My former college roommate is a 1L there, and she has been living in a building LITTERALLY right next door called "The Tower."  A bunch of other Hastings students live there too, and they have a good time.

So don't worry too much about the safety issues--there are ways to work around them, and the education will last a life time...

Candide!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yoda, kickin butt as a 1L gunner!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ktjordan78
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 03:55:55 AM »
okay, here is the truth about law schools that people dont talk about much...

there are a small few national schools. these are generally around the top 20 or so.

this can be argued + or - a few schools, but ultimatly once you start getting into the 30s and beyond graduates are LARGELY hired within the general area of the law school.

so yeah, about 150 law schools or so are basically regional law schools.

unless there is a HUGE difference in the quality of two regional schools (this is not the case with hastings/usd) go to the school that is in the region you want to live in. it will make getting a job signifigantly easier, and you will already be living in the city you want to end up in.

why move twice and make getting a job a hassle for the worthless prestige of going to a "41" ranked school over a "63" ranked school

news flash:  if it isnt a top 20 the ranking isnt all that presitgious anyways...
Loyola (Los Angeles) '08

Candide!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yoda, kickin butt as a 1L gunner!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ktjordan78
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 04:21:21 AM »
I am told that PillsburyWinthrop's SD office actively recruits from Hastings but not USD.  They are one of the larger national law firms with a presence in SD, but of course only a single datapoint.  I live in San Diego, and it kills me that I'm leaving for law school (Tulane), but given your choices I would be going to Hastings without question.  USD is unheard of outside of CA...the UC's, on the whole, are regarded as the best public university system in the country. 

It lists, in Princetone Review Top 117 law schools (for what its worth), Pillsbury Winthrop as one of the "common" recruiters for USD.  Who knows, but it might deserve some phone calls before taking that as fact. 

um, yeah i would be willing to bet a san diego firm not recruiting at usd is pretty much completely innacurate information.  ::)
Loyola (Los Angeles) '08

awhomer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 03:06:49 PM »
Sorry if I lent some bad advice on this one (regarding PillsburyWinthrop)...simply something that was told to me by a local attorney when I was considering USD.   

There is no doubt that USD grads can do well in the SD market, nor is there any that SD is a fantastic place to be "stuck." 

Best of luck!

KnoxHarrington

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 11:14:14 PM »
If you are happy in San Diego then it would make sense to go to USD and build your connections there.

Also, think about how wildly expensive living in San Francisco would be and you'll most likely find that your out-of-pocket costs will be equal for both school in the end.

traffic777

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 01:38:42 PM »
USD is now 85th and Hastings is 36th, you can almost fit a whole tier inbetween them now.
3.95/162
137(c), 147(d1)...5months later... low 160s
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=traffic777

Pam Beesly

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh, Jim.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 01:55:17 PM »
Umm, no contest on this one. UC Hastings all the way. The UC system is much more respected and if you want to stay in California, I think you'd have more options statewide with a JD from UC Hastings. Isn't Hastings less expensive too?