Law School Discussion

HBCU.EDU

Re: Do MoBell's Hair Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2005, 02:26:00 PM »
Because it's creepy ruskie. Hell, might as well put us in a zoo and look at uss all day. "ooooh..look at the black woman..her legs and her butt...how do they run so fast? can we touch..."  >:( "look at the black man...his body...Is it true what they say?"...what are we? a gawd damn science project?

seu2002

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2005, 02:27:42 PM »
"can I touch it?" comments from curious/nosy people

is that rude?

i asked if a could touch a friend's fro this weekend bc i thought it looked sexy and i didn't want to jinx him.  it's an old mexican superstition. 

Hey Seu,
I know from personal experience that if another black female or even a latina asks me I am not offended, especially when followed by a nice comment. It's usually when a old white lady I work with asks (sorry but I had to go there). That's why I put curious/nosy. Sometimes when I get my hair done people(the white folk I work with or go to school with) are so in my sh*t it gets annoying. Then if I let them touch, they have the nerve to make comments about how my hair is soft like it should be rough like sandpaper...

But I know when a Black or latina sista asks it's usually cuz they may be considering it themselves at some point in the future.
But as far as the superstition I think I hear that you do have to watch who touches your hair because if they are jealous they might jinx you and your hair will fall out or stop growing. But I am not sure if it is Mexican though...

hth

i'd never heard that letting someone touch your hair might jinx you.  interesting...

but the mexican superstition is very prevalent.  they believe that having someone admire something about yourself and not having that person touch you is equivalent to the evil eye.  this bad energy apparently travels with you until you get a cleansing (which i don't believe in) or until something bad happens to you.  anytime you hear anyone talking about "ojo", that's what they're talking about.

this is something they especially adhere to when dealing with babies.  if a baby is fussy or has a fever after being out in public or in a large crowd, they think the baby has ojo. 

i don't know if it's true or not.  but i do know that staring at people eat without them knowing of this will cause their food to fall off their utensil or all over themselves.  it's sooo funny.  i do this all the time.

not just that, but a couple of weeks ago i went out and i was wearing a really short skirt and HIGH heels.  i got a lot of comments about my legs that night,  but of course, i didn't let anyone touch me.  no way.  well, a couple of days later i nearly broke my foot.  coincidence or ojo?  i should send this one in to univision for a follow-up...

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2005, 02:29:12 PM »

Since your response is based on my statement I’ll clarify for you- A Black or Latino woman that doesn’t know me wouldn’t be ignorant enough to walk up to me and ask me if she can touch my hair.. That’s the difference… There’s a certain amount of respect that I demand as a black woman (as I’m sure that most black women feel the same)  …

you’ve said  yourself that you feel a certain amount of empowerment with your hair correct? Or something to that effect..

So yes I automatically assume that a random ass white woman that has the nerve to come up to me with some “oooh let me touch your hair cause I can never do that with mine it’s so fascinating” *&^% has an agenda… none of my white friends have asked me if they could touch my hair. .

it’s like asking someone if they can touch your skin because it’s a different color than there’s…

I never said that there weren’t hair styles that black and white women both wear.. anytime that  I see a white woman with some cornrows or some locks I cringe..

What's the difference between a woman of color asking and a white woman asking? Do you automatically assume that the white woman is acting in bad faith or maliciously?  I mean, there are some hairstyles that black women can wear that white women can wear too.  Some white women have very curly hair textures that can hold many of the styles that you wear.  If a woman like that is interested in wearing her hair that way and she wants to touch yours, would you be offended?

Muse

• I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2005, 02:35:08 PM »
I'm natural (i.e no chemicals) but I still flat iron my hair on occassion. Mobell you seem like the low maintance type of girl so I would just rock a short hair style or do braids.

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2005, 02:36:11 PM »
Because it's creepy ruskie. Hell, might as well put us in a zoo and look at uss all day. "ooooh..look at the black woman..her legs and her butt...how do they run so fast? can we touch..."  >:( "look at the black man...his body...Is it true what they say?"...what are we? a gawd damn science project?

:D

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2005, 02:37:40 PM »
u know i damn near spit out my water  :D :D :D

Muse

• I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2005, 02:38:56 PM »
I hate when folks ask if my hair is a weave and when I tell them no, they proceed to stick their fingers in my hair to feel for tracks. Now that's rude!

I think it's cute when white folks ask about black hair. They seem really facinated by the texture LOL.

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2005, 02:40:07 PM »
What's the difference between a woman of color asking and a white woman asking? Do you automatically assume that the white woman is acting in bad faith or maliciously?  I mean, there are some hairstyles that black women can wear that white women can wear too.  Some white women have very curly hair textures that can hold many of the styles that you wear.  If a woman like that is interested in wearing her hair that way and she wants to touch yours, would you be offended?

My statements weren't meant to offend, they are just the truth. I don't assume a white woman can't do the same hairstyles, but seeing as how the main population of the "canb I touch"ers are old white ladies and white men, there is probably a chance that they won't try it.

As blk_reign stated, which I forgot to clarify, is that most of the black/latina woman that ask to touch my hair are in fact my firends or people who know me well. I won't lie, I too will see someone with lovely hair and want to ask to touch but I am not in the business of drawing back nubs either *high fiving blk_reign*

In my experiences people who happen to be white and ask to touch my hair more often than not don't even know my name. Nothing was said about malice. But like HBCU said, it is creepy...

seu2002

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2005, 02:44:17 PM »
so when those white people ask, how do you respond?  to clarify, once again, i only asked my friend if i could touch his hair bc he looked damn good and i didn't want it to fall off.    he's the only person i've ever asked.

but no one wants to touch my hair.  i don't do anything with it either.  i don't even comb it.  it's that grody.  really.

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2005, 02:49:18 PM »
my whole thing is this..y can't u just say.. "your hair is beautiful how is it done"

When a white person asks me.. I say I don't let anyone touch my hair...I mean wtf do I know you?

at that point they look at me like i'm an Angry Black Woman.. ::)

think what u need to think.. leave my head alone