Law School Discussion

seu2002

Re: Do MoBell's Hair Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2005, 11:51:58 AM »

take a risk and cut it !!!
 ;D

these are palm rolls.. i had them before i locked my hair and people young and old complimented me in a professional setting..so i don't think that u can go wrong with them either..

Blk I like the first one....Is that braids or twists or what?

i like number one.  i know i'm the wrong person to be asking on these matters.  this is just what i think looks cute.   :)

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2005, 12:25:15 PM »
which qualifies as first, bp?

The first picture, at the top, with the "bun" at the back.

seu2002

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2005, 12:32:05 PM »

that was my choice.  i like it.  listen to BP.  he has good taste in women.   ;)

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2005, 12:48:37 PM »
Hi there,
Don't have as much LSD clout as others, but as a fellow natural I would say go with the first hair style (from the pics from your original post). Your family (and everyone for that matter) needs to come to terms with the fact that your hair is natural and can look good at the same time so a style like that should garner nothing but compliments (and maybe some "can I touch it?" comments from curious/nosy people).

Best of luck with whatever you choose. I'm sure you'll look fabulous anyway.
-Nelly

seu2002

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2005, 12:59:28 PM »
"can I touch it?" comments from curious/nosy people

is that rude?

i asked if a could touch a friend's fro this weekend bc i thought it looked sexy and i didn't want to jinx him.  it's an old mexican superstition. 

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2005, 01:23:42 PM »

is that rude?

i asked if a could touch a friend's fro this weekend bc i thought it looked sexy and i didn't want to jinx him.  it's an old mexican superstition. 

Hey Seu,
I know from personal experience that if another black female or even a latina asks me I am not offended, especially when followed by a nice comment. It's usually when a old white lady I work with asks (sorry but I had to go there). That's why I put curious/nosy. Sometimes when I get my hair done people(the white folk I work with or go to school with) are so in my sh*t it gets annoying. Then if I let them touch, they have the nerve to make comments about how my hair is soft like it should be rough like sandpaper...

But I know when a Black or latina sista asks it's usually cuz they may be considering it themselves at some point in the future.
But as far as the superstition I think I hear that you do have to watch who touches your hair because if they are jealous they might jinx you and your hair will fall out or stop growing. But I am not sure if it is Mexican though...

hth

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2005, 01:31:22 PM »

haha.. that's my girl cheryl.. i miss cornrows and company :'( she's the receptionist there

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2005, 01:32:30 PM »
they are twists.. u can have that style done with your hair.. or have it twisted in like u would with braids.. the style can last up to two months..

take a risk and cut it !!!
 ;D

these are palm rolls.. i had them before i locked my hair and people young and old complimented me in a professional setting..so i don't think that u can go wrong with them either..

Blk I like the first one....Is that braids or twists or what?

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2005, 01:39:44 PM »
Don't you hate when white people seem so "fascinated"? "How did you do that? next thing you know you see their hand coming towards your head.. >:( can i touch it please? i could never get my hair to do something like that  >:(.. they'll pull back a NUB
 ;)

is that rude?

Hey Seu,
I know from personal experience that if another black female or even a latina asks me I am not offended, especially when followed by a nice comment. It's usually when a old white lady I work with asks (sorry but I had to go there). That's why I put curious/nosy. Sometimes when I get my hair done people(the white folk I work with or go to school with) are so in my sh*t it gets annoying. Then if I let them touch, they have the nerve to make comments about how my hair is soft like it should be rough like sandpaper...

But I know when a Black or latina sista asks it's usually cuz they may be considering it themselves at some point in the future.
But as far as the superstition I think I hear that you do have to watch who touches your hair because if they are jealous they might jinx you and your hair will fall out or stop growing. But I am not sure if it is Mexican though...

hth

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2005, 02:07:18 PM »
What's the difference between a woman of color asking and a white woman asking? Do you automatically assume that the white woman is acting in bad faith or maliciously?  I mean, there are some hairstyles that black women can wear that white women can wear too.  Some white women have very curly hair textures that can hold many of the styles that you wear.  If a woman like that is interested in wearing her hair that way and she wants to touch yours, would you be offended?