Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Living in Philly?  (Read 1705 times)

VanBuren Boys

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vanbBoys8
    • View Profile
Living in Philly?
« on: May 10, 2005, 03:50:51 PM »
I've pretty much decided on attending Rutgers-Camden.
I was wondering if alot of students live in Philadelphia and if so, where?

kitakatt

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Living in Philly?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 09:59:07 AM »
Doesn't Rutgers-Camden give you in-state tuition after you've lived in NJ for a year? I was under that impression for some reason. And if that is true, why would you live in PA then? My boyfriend is looking at Rutgers-Camden... and I was wondering if he could live in Philly (with me) and still go to Camden for school.

If he starts looking in Philly, I'll let you know.    ;D
Getting antsy.

VanBuren Boys

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vanbBoys8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 02:03:10 PM »
That's true, you have to sign a 12 month lease in NJ to gain status.  I forgot about that.  It's kind of a gamble for me, because I want to try to transfer after my first year.  I guess it would be worth it to sign the 12 month just in case I don't transfer.

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 02:42:59 PM »
honestly it's doable..but i wouldnt' reccomend it. I live in philly now and while it's GREAT to have the city..i think it's just a hassle at the same time. Live in the suburbs of NJ (haddonfield, marlton, cherry hill).. it's hte same price, you could gain in state tuition, and it's NOT that far from the city..you'll have a place to park your car and not the really long commute from the city.  But i am biased.. i'm sick of philly :) :)
I love my philly phanatic :)

SillyMia

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 11:13:23 PM »
I think this is an old post but I'll put in my two cents since I'll be house hunting out there soon and have the same dilemna.

I was able to defer my admission to Rutgers-C one year in order to get my life back together and buy a house.  I figured NJ for the great tuition break...then I saw the tax rates in NJ.  They are insane!

Anyway, if you're looking to buy, Pennsylvania would be a better option.  We're still flip-flopping with the idea b/c of the in-state tuition.  Currently, the tax rates would be about 6-9K for a 250k home (per year).  The tuition diff is abt. 7k out of state.  However, from living in California and knowing that Jersey is just as fiscally messed up, I know that the first thing they raise is the tuition for the out-of-staters.  Decisions, decisions.

Silvermtn

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - silvermountain74
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 10:32:04 PM »
Another option is living in nearby tax-friendly Delaware.  Rutgers Camden would be a short 25-30 minute drive across the bridge and there would be much less of a chance of being killed, robbed or carjacked than if you actually lived in Camden.  Seriously, I don't even like going to Camden in the daytime.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

gladiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Politics Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 05:45:09 PM »
Based on the murders map, there were 0 White/Asian/Other people murdered in University City or Center City and only a handful of black people. I don't think many Penn Law students are dodging bullets on a daily or even yearly basis.

Villanova1L

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 06:34:39 PM »
If you are going to live in Philadelphia the drive isn't that fun and I think you'll pay a toll every time you go from Camden back to Philadelphia. The area around Camden seemed kinda of sketchy while I was out there, but no worse than a normal big city. Living in Philadelphia has advantages, so really you just have to weigh them out for yourself.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 09:38:10 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/11/youth.violence/index.html

"You got a good-looking girlfriend, you're going to get shot; someone wants her," said 17-year-old Andre, who asked his last name not be used for this article.

dang!
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?