Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In 2010, will FSU have surpassed UF?  (Read 24963 times)

VeniceJazz

• View Profile
Re: In 2010, will FSU have surpassed UF?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 12:05:54 PM »
I don't know much about FSU or UF except that they are both under-rated law schools at under grad party universities. Since I am going to UM in the fall, I thought I should add my two cents. Miami is undoubtably better respected up here in the Northeast. That's why I applied in the first place. A few people have attributed the large(ish) number of UM alumni in the Northeast to the fact that a sizable portion of it's student originally hails from NY. I don't doubt that this is largely true, but I don't think that means it's placement data is deceptive. Loads of kids go down to Miami for school and come back up for work. This really gets the name out there. I think something similar happened with Tulane. This is how reputations are built. I think that you will see more and more UM grads working in the Northeast. It also helps that a decent number of major firms have offices in Miami.
As for being in the top 1%, well, I imagine you would do quite well coming from any of these 3 schools. Being in the top 1% is impressive, and I think you would hands down do better than an average or even many above average students from 'Dozo or Brooklyn.

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 12:26:27 PM »
Hey Intuition,
When you said that UVa is "by no means amazing", what did you base your conclusion upon?  Do you think UVa and its students are similar to state schools, such as UF?  I always thought public schools like Berkeley, Michigan, UVa, etc, were far superior than their public counterparts.

Nah, UVA, Michigan are just like UF for undergrad IMHO, easy schools to get into if you're a smart kid instate, hard schools if you're a smart kid out of state trying to get in.  For law schools both have no instate caps, and both have tons and tons of more prestige and successful grads than UF.

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 12:32:06 PM »
I don't know much about FSU or UF except that they are both under-rated law schools at under grad party universities. Since I am going to UM in the fall, I thought I should add my two cents. Miami is undoubtably better respected up here in the Northeast. That's why I applied in the first place. A few people have attributed the large(ish) number of UM alumni in the Northeast to the fact that a sizable portion of it's student originally hails from NY. I don't doubt that this is largely true, but I don't think that means it's placement data is deceptive. Loads of kids go down to Miami for school and come back up for work. This really gets the name out there. I think something similar happened with Tulane. This is how reputations are built. I think that you will see more and more UM grads working in the Northeast. It also helps that a decent number of major firms have offices in Miami.
As for being in the top 1%, well, I imagine you would do quite well coming from any of these 3 schools. Being in the top 1% is impressive, and I think you would hands down do better than an average or even many above average students from 'Dozo or Brooklyn.

I don't know about FSU, but UF is no longer a party school. LOL It's a huge nerd school from what it used to be just 5-6 years ago. 

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2005, 01:59:29 PM »
Willy, when I said "it is by no means amazing", I was referring to UF. Sorry for my unclear wording. UF is still a notch below UVA, UM and Berkeley but is on its way up. UF has done a good job in recent years by hiring good profs in general (not speaking about the LS in particular) and the research conducted at UF is pretty darn solid. Add in a great Med School, very solid LS and several other great grad programs and you have a very good state university.

I think UF is still much more of a party school than at least UM (I can't speak personally about UVA or Berkeley). I work for UM now, and the kids in general here are seriously focused on school. I agree that UF students are more nerdy than 5-10 yrs ago, but they are still more laidback about school than at the top publics. I graduated from UF in 2004 and the partying that went on while I was there blows UM's party scene out of the water.

My .02

iloveswedes

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2005, 01:57:37 PM »
rankings are too self sustaining.  however, if something weird happens where UF misreports, that could send them plunging and pull them into a positive feedback loop where they keep getting sent further down.  who knows?  it happened with washington U

borderlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2005, 10:41:07 AM »
UF and FSU are even closer than the rankings indicated!!! They are 5 points away, based on the other scale.

52  George Mason/Tulane/U Alambama/U Arizona/U Florida/U Maryland
51  American
50  U Colorado
49  Case Wastern/U Conn/U Utah
48  Baylor/Southern Methodist/U Pitt/U Tennessee
47  Florida State/U Kentucky

Maybe you...may be able to help solve a mystery on Lifetime, 12-2 PM Mon-Fri

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2005, 09:12:33 PM »
i was a 'noles fan growing up really for no reason.  i went to UF undergrad and transformed into a huge gator fan.  like huge.  they rejected me and FSU is at least still considering me.  am i allowed to switch back if FSU takes me?  all i know is F uck the Canes.  hey, what's the Nova Southeastern mascot?
FIU Class of 2009

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2005, 09:44:18 PM »
No, you cannot change back. 
If you go to FSU you must still be a gators fan.

TheFloridaGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2005, 09:48:51 PM »
i was a 'noles fan growing up really for no reason.  i went to UF undergrad and transformed into a huge gator fan.  like huge.  they rejected me and FSU is at least still considering me.  am i allowed to switch back if FSU takes me?  all i know is F uck the Canes.  hey, what's the Nova Southeastern mascot?

Diehard Canes fan till I went to UF.

borderlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2005, 08:06:55 PM »
bump
Maybe you...may be able to help solve a mystery on Lifetime, 12-2 PM Mon-Fri