Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In 2010, will FSU have surpassed UF?  (Read 24989 times)

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In 2010, will FSU have surpassed UF?
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2007, 03:13:54 PM »
Bump because lots of good arguments have been made in this thread and wanted to hear some more recent opinions on this subject.

UF is currently 47 and FSU is currently 53, according to USNews.  FSU's rise can be attributed to smaller first year class sizes in recent years.  Instead of admitting a lot of first year students, FSU tends to allow a lot of transfers for 2L from lower tier schools (Nova, Barry, etc.).  IMHO, UF is having a hard time moving up in the rankings because of its location and FSU is hampered by not being associated with the flagship Florida school (UF). 
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2007, 03:23:43 PM »
Bump because lots of good arguments have been made in this thread and wanted to hear some more recent opinions on this subject.

UF is currently 47 and FSU is currently 53, according to USNews.  FSU's rise can be attributed to smaller first year class sizes in recent years.  Instead of admitting a lot of first year students, FSU tends to allow a lot of transfers for 2L from lower tier schools (Nova, Barry, etc.).  IMHO, UF is having a hard time moving up in the rankings because of its location and FSU is hampered by not being associated with the flagship Florida school (UF). 

Probably true on both accounts. FSU has been trying very hard to bring their numbers up and both are considered top 5 or so in terms of affordability. Consequently, they are 1 and 2 for me in terms of where I want to go.

========================

On another note. It doesn't matter where you go to grad school. I'm as diehard a fan as they come for FSU, but I may go to UF if I get accepted to both. When you go to a new school, even if it's your rival, you MUST remain a fan of your original school, I don't care how many champioships that school wins while you're there. Othrewise, you're just some fairweather, sports blasphemist!

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2007, 03:27:44 PM »

Probably true on both accounts. FSU has been trying very hard to bring their numbers up and both are considered top 5 or so in terms of affordability. Consequently, they are 1 and 2 for me in terms of where I want to go.

========================

On another note. It doesn't matter where you go to grad school. I'm as diehard a fan as they come for FSU, but I may go to UF if I get accepted to both. When you go to a new school, even if it's your rival, you MUST remain a fan of your original school, I don't care how many champioships that school wins while you're there. Othrewise, you're just some fairweather, sports blasphemist!

Agreed. 

elvis25

• It's not that big of a decision
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2007, 12:46:43 PM »

Good point. I also think UF has some issues with faculty dissatisfaction (which bleeds over into peer scores).
My most important life info:

3.65 GPA & 165 LSAT

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2007, 07:52:37 AM »
UF dropped b/c they switched from having spring and fall admissions to fall only admissions.  The first year for this was for the class of 09.  On top of that, the school overenrolled.  Perceptions are hard to change and UF is seen as the better school.  It's rare for schools to change in this regard and so UF will likely remain the higher ranked school. If it slips one year, I imagine alums will pour money into the school to change that.  FSU wouldnt be able to match in donations, as it is ~ 1/4 of the size.  Nonetheless, employment options are roughly the same coming from either school.

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2007, 08:51:29 AM »
UF dropped b/c they switched from having spring and fall admissions to fall only admissions.  The first year for this was for the class of 09.  On top of that, the school overenrolled.  Perceptions are hard to change and UF is seen as the better school.  It's rare for schools to change in this regard and so UF will likely remain the higher ranked school. If it slips one year, I imagine alums will pour money into the school to change that.  FSU wouldnt be able to match in donations, as it is ~ 1/4 of the size.  Nonetheless, employment options are roughly the same coming from either school.

You're probably right for the most part.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2007, 09:24:44 AM »
The median GPA/LSAT class profiles are virtually identical for the Class of 2010:

UF: 3.65/160
FSU: 3.5/160

I don't see much difference in attending either school, honestly. Both are in the middle of nowhere, have intelligent students and faculty, active alumni, and are well-recognized if you want to practice within the state of Florida.

No matter where you go to law school in Florida, if you have a desire to practice within a part of the state and make the effort, you can. The majority of law students in Florida are picking their schools for one of two reasons: rank or because of a desire to connect to that market in anticipation of future employment in that market. I would put cost of law school at a distant third -- most law students I have met aren't hugely concerned with the cost at this phase because repaying the loans seems like a far-off concept.

However, I'd be surprised if UF dropped behind FSU. There's been a perception of UF as the flagship school since the school was built, and this bleeds over to the master's and professional degrees. Whether that reputation is deserved or not is hardly relevant -- it is what it is and USNews will continue to perpetuate that impression if it is reflected in the surveys they send out. Both FSU and UF are fine schools. If you are accepted to both, take the opportunity to visit the campuses and spend some time in the cities. You can't go wrong with either school if your intention is to practice law in Florida.
Vanderbilt 2010

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2007, 10:06:13 AM »
Both are in the middle of nowhere, have intelligent students and faculty, active alumni, and are well-recognized if you want to practice within the state of Florida.

You ain't just whistling dixie.

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2007, 01:49:58 PM »
One thing I found very interesting was the number of applications with each school. Even though Florida State admits less students than Florida, they get about 1,000 more applications than Florida. Being the much larger school, I would think Florida should get more applications. 
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2007, 11:31:12 AM »
One thing I found very interesting was the number of applications with each school. Even though Florida State admits less students than Florida, they get about 1,000 more applications than Florida. Being the much larger school, I would think Florida should get more applications. 

This surprised me as well.  I've also noticed that a lot of out-of-staters that get in to both FSU and UF choose to go to FSU (from LSN, which isn't nec. representative).