Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 'BigLaw' Who Wants it? Who has it? Why?  (Read 12990 times)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 'BigLaw' Who Wants it? Who has it? Why?
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2009, 02:18:09 AM »
i like the references to making a lot of money working in i-banking.

sigh.  the innocent years of 2005...

incidentally, tm, i've been thinking lately about starting out in government prosecution and then maybe going to a firm five or ten years out, and getting to skip all the crappy work.  what are your thoughts on this plan, besides $$/loan stuff?
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2009, 10:33:25 AM »

incidentally, tm, i've been thinking lately about starting out in government prosecution and then maybe going to a firm five or ten years out, and getting to skip all the crappy work.  what are your thoughts on this plan, besides $$/loan stuff?

i hear that skipping the crappy first few years of firm work is great if you can manage it, but i think the options for doing so and still leaving the firm option open are limited (probably the best way to go would be DOJ Honors).  got plans for this summer?

Not yet.  I have four interviews through OCI, and I had two in FL over the break.  Looks like it's going to be a public interest summer for me...hopefully I can end up in DC!

LSN

NYC3L

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2009, 10:42:29 AM »

i hear that skipping the crappy first few years of firm work is great if you can manage it, but i think the options for doing so and still leaving the firm option open are limited (probably the best way to go would be DOJ Honors).  got plans for this summer?

DOJ Honors is definitely the way to go, particularly in Civil, Criminal or Antitrust.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »

DOJ Honors is definitely the way to go, particularly in Civil, Criminal or Antitrust.

Criminal law is definitely what I'm interested in.  I'd never heard of DOJ honors, but it looks fantastic.  Does it help you get the position if you intern for them over 2L summer?  How competitive is "highly competitive"?

LSN

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2009, 12:54:01 PM »

Criminal law is definitely what I'm interested in.  I'd never heard of DOJ honors, but it looks fantastic.  Does it help you get the position if you intern for them over 2L summer?  How competitive is "highly competitive"?

It may help if you intern for them over 2L summer, but that is also probably when you want to get a foot in the door with a firm, if you intend to go back to a firm later. You'd probably want to try to split between the firm and DOJ SLIP (which many firms are historically okay with). Highly competitive is....well, really, really competitive. I would say at least as competitive as the most competitive of firms [edit: and the most competitive of public interest jobs], except with slightly less of a focus on high-ranked schools and more of a focus on really good grades, good interviewing, and a lot of luck (as far as I can tell, DOJ hiring is somewhat disorganized).

ETA: In terms of working for DOJ SLIP 2L summer, it is also very competitive to get (although not as competitive as DOJ honors), and won't necessarily help a great deal with a DOJ honors application, although it does indicate interest, which is supposed to be something of a plus. I've heard rumors that there are a very few "funnel" positions where they actually make an offer to come back after law school to someone after they do SLIP, but this is supposed to be extremely rare, if it's even really true.

ETA II: In fairness, you can certainly lateral over to a firm from the DOJ after a few years even if you never work at a firm 2L summer, but you don't really want to bank on being able to get DOJ right after law school, and if you're still considering the firm thing, you probably want to at least try it out during law school. Just my two cents.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

NYC3L

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2009, 08:25:34 PM »
DOJ Honors is one of the most competitive things out there. A lot of former SCOTUS and COA clerks, particularly in the Criminal Division. One of the best things to do is split 2L summer with a firm and DOJ SLIP which is also really competitive but more doable than DOJ Honors.

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2009, 07:32:58 AM »

[/quote]

Most people in biglaw (and lawschool for that matter) have a couple years of work experience before law school. Often, that work experience is what gets them hired because it's relevant to something the firm does. Nobody pretends the hours are great, but some people actually enjoy being a lawyer (gasp!). If you enjoy what you do it's not so bad.
[/quote]

How much does it matter when interviewing what your prior experience is? Could the argument be made that any real experience is better than no experience? I am having a career shift and going from Social Work to law and am interested in Biglaw. I am wondering how much my social work experience will help or hinder my chances at getting a biglaw job. I am planning on doing all the extra stuff that firms like. Any thoughts?

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2009, 01:26:27 PM »

Most people in biglaw (and lawschool for that matter) have a couple years of work experience before law school. Often, that work experience is what gets them hired because it's relevant to something the firm does. Nobody pretends the hours are great, but some people actually enjoy being a lawyer (gasp!). If you enjoy what you do it's not so bad.

How much does it matter when interviewing what your prior experience is? Could the argument be made that any real experience is better than no experience? I am having a career shift and going from Social Work to law and am interested in Biglaw. I am wondering how much my social work experience will help or hinder my chances at getting a biglaw job. I am planning on doing all the extra stuff that firms like. Any thoughts?

This business about needing to have prior experience to work at a big law firm is not really true. They will care most about where you go to school, what your grades are at that school, and how much they liked you in the interview, in that order of priority. Something like having prior work experience might tip the scale in terms of how you come off in an interview, but mostly they will care about your in-school record. The only possible issue with the social work background is that you might get more pointed questions about why you want to work in a law firm than someone without a public interest background. I knew a few people with strong public interest resumes who frankly *didn't* really want to work at a law firm, but did the interviews because they were worried about debt and wanted to keep that option open, and I think that may have come across in their interviews and hurt them a bit. If you have a convincing and sincere reason for your career change, you should be fine, and having some experience will only make you seem more interesting and give you something to talk about during interviews. And if you decide that a big law firm is not the place for you after all (can't imagine why), you will have some public interest work on your resume to help get you started in another direction.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.