Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 'BigLaw' Who Wants it? Who has it? Why?  (Read 12787 times)

namaste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 'BigLaw' Who Wants it? Who has it? Why?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 12:08:10 AM »
taterstol, which school do you go to --if you don't mind sharing?

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 02:21:34 AM »

oh wow!

to get into a Biglaw firm, what precent in your class do you think your grades need to be at to get that 125,000 plus dollahs.

if anyone knows a breakdown of ranks/school types and precents to make that amount, would be really awesome, but i guess if you would happen to know BC's, that would be totally fine also.  the us news guide said their 25/50/75 is 95/125/125--yet i still find it suspect that 50% of students who go into private practice make 125....and how many students is that really?  oh well. just curious

and taterstol u're so cute. thanks for all the info.
Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - CoolDorky
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 09:48:32 AM »
I go to georgetown. They tell us that 50-65% of students each year get jobs through 2L OCI... I'm guessing that the majority (but not all) of those pay 125k.

The general rule about class standing is that there is no general rule. It varies by school. I've heard complaints that if you're not in the top 1/3 at BC you'll have a tough time getting the 125k jobs. But of course, I don't know this firsthand since I don't go there. As far as BC's USNEWS figures, just remember that not everyone goes into private practice. It's usually between 60-80% at any school. So half of that number making 125k or more doesn't seem unreasonable.

Snuvy: thanks! If you look anything like your avatar, then you're adorable too! ;)

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 10:26:02 AM »
It seems to me that the Biglaw jobs are filled by people who haven't had a "real" job yet, are swayed by the fancy lunches and courtside tickets, and don't yet realize how little time for a social life working 70 hour weeks + saturdays leaves you. That's 8am - 8pm M-F. Plus 8am - 6pm Saturday. When do you think you will be able to enjoy that $125k salary they offer? 1 day a week? I would rather work as a garbage man or a janitor than work 70 hours a week and have no life.

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 10:55:16 AM »
It seems to me that the Biglaw jobs are filled by people who haven't had a "real" job yet, are swayed by the fancy lunches and courtside tickets, and don't yet realize how little time for a social life working 70 hour weeks + saturdays leaves you. That's 8am - 8pm M-F. Plus 8am - 6pm Saturday. When do you think you will be able to enjoy that $125k salary they offer? 1 day a week? I would rather work as a garbage man or a janitor than work 70 hours a week and have no life.

Most people in biglaw (and lawschool for that matter) have a couple years of work experience before law school. Often, that work experience is what gets them hired because it's relevant to something the firm does. Nobody pretends the hours are great, but some people actually enjoy being a lawyer (gasp!). If you enjoy what you do it's not so bad.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 11:05:36 AM »
This is great!  I love seeing people who like the idea of biglaw fame and fortune and those who seem to think the ones that are interested in biglaw don't know what they're getting themselves into.

Personally, I love biglaw.  I work at a "BigLaw" firm now in TX, according to us we're the BIGGEST and BEST of any biglaw you'll ever find, but of course everyone toots their own horn a bit too loudly if it's coming from the inside.  So, whatever your opinion(s) may be, I have first hand experience (as many of you do) and yes, to someone post-- you do make your 125K+ and never have anytime to spend it, but a garbage man (or whatever you said) that is a bit extreme don't ya think? 

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 03:58:21 PM »
Hehe. No, I wasn't exaggerating. I'm sure I will enjoy being a lawyer, but work is not what the purpose of life is in my opinion. It should be something that you enjoy and which can support your needs/wants. If your goals do not include being a good parent, having a good relationship with your significant other and/or friends, and enjoying hobbies/other interests, then I guess working 70 hours a week is fine with you. Because when you work that much you can't possibly be good at anything other than work, you can't possibly have a decent relationship with anyone outside of work, and you probably don't have time for friends outside of work either. That can lead to a very sad, lonely life with little meaning in my opinion and unless someone can refute that I still stand by the belief that anyone that aspires to work there doesn't understand the reality of it, or they really don't mind not having a life.

taterstol

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 04:20:52 PM »
Hehe. No, I wasn't exaggerating. I'm sure I will enjoy being a lawyer, but work is not what the purpose of life is in my opinion. It should be something that you enjoy and which can support your needs/wants. If your goals do not include being a good parent, having a good relationship with your significant other and/or friends, and enjoying hobbies/other interests, then I guess working 70 hours a week is fine with you. Because when you work that much you can't possibly be good at anything other than work, you can't possibly have a decent relationship with anyone outside of work, and you probably don't have time for friends outside of work either. That can lead to a very sad, lonely life with little meaning in my opinion and unless someone can refute that I still stand by the belief that anyone that aspires to work there doesn't understand the reality of it, or they really don't mind not having a life.

I'm sure this is true for many people. However, I also know many biglaw associates that are fully functioning human beings. If you look around your own college or law school, there are people putting in those many hours between school/job/extracurriculars/friends; yeah it's more stressful than working 9-5, but it's by no means unmanageable. And if/when it becomes unmanageable, people find other work. It's not like you go to a law firm and have just committed yourself to stay there for the next 40 years.

And even biglaw lawyers don't have it as bad as, say, medical residents do. There are reasons why people subject themselves to long hours, and it's usually not because they didn't know what they were getting into.

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 04:45:03 PM »
Amen!  I know what I'm getting myself into, yet I still plan to do it.  And, yes, I do have a spouse, pets, family, and even Friends! OMG, I must be the anomolie of the century at BigLaw.

texas1

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 05:03:23 PM »

I think that those of you who are young (and I don't know if you are ryanjm) shouldn't worry about 70 hour weeks for 3-4 years of your life. What most younger people don't realize (and I at 35 am just beginning to realize) is that 6 years from now is going to happen no matter what you do. We can get so wrapped up in living for today, that we make tomorrow harder on ourselves.

If 3-4 years at Biglaw can pay off your student loans, and that gives you experience that can take you where you want to be, then how is it different than going to law school for 3 years to get where you want to be?

Again, I'm 35, and at first it was hard to think of going back to school till I'm 39, but in 3.5 years, I'll be 39 anyway. Now I can either have a law degree, or I can go back into either retail or construction management. I might have a better quality of life over the next 3 years if I stayed out of law school, but long term I'll have more earning potential and flexibility if I go to school. So its a bit of a sacrifice, but its also a bit of a reward. Of course I also might not have a better quality of life. When I managed a Red Lobster I worked over 60 hours a week, and when I was in construction I worked 6 days a week...and never made more than 42K.

So in the end, its not simply a quality of life issue, because there are many other factors to be considered as well.