Law School Discussion

Moving out of state for part-time program?

Moving out of state for part-time program?
« on: May 10, 2005, 11:16:07 AM »
Has anyone else considered quitting their job and moving out of state to attend a part-time program?

My original plan was to just start new and go to a full-time program.  However, I've been deferred at Chicago-Kent for f/t, so I'm considering applying to the part-time division instead.  I don't know if this is foolish because this will end up costing more money for school. 

Also, if I do this, I can't imagine NOT working.  However, my current career path doesn't really have any part-time opportunities, and I don't feel that I can perform my best in school if I worked full-time.  I don't know if it'll look bad to future legal employers if I take a step down in my previous career path and do temp or p/t work at a level with much less responsibility.  Do you think they will be understanding that I did what I thought would be necessary to attend the school that was the best fit for me?

Re: Moving out of state for part-time program?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 12:27:44 PM »
If you do this, you may be able to switch to the full time program after your first semester.  I have heard that depending on grades some schools will allow you to transfer to ft program after 1st semester, others you will have to wait a year.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 12:48:45 PM »
No, unfortunately, Kent will not allow me to transfer until after completing the first fall, spring and summer sessions :(

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 07:51:40 AM »
There's a very good chance I will be quitting my full-time job to attend IU-Indy part-time.  I'll probably find work in Indy after the first semester, and certainly by the end of Summer 2006.

If my job was not so stressful and energy consuming, I would definitely go to Capital.  I don't think this is going to be an option for me, so moving to another PT program makes sense.  I'm also considering Toledo's PT program.