Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: High LSAT/Low GPA - My story  (Read 13643 times)

hunterhogan

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
Re: High LSAT/Low GPA - My story
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2005, 09:13:26 AM »
LoR W analysis

I originally asked W to write a LoR because I needed two of them for some schools, and I thought he could reflect on my bad grades the first time in college.

Looking back, it was a bad idea to ask him to write the letter for this reason. Luckily for me, he didn't just talk about bad grades. The LoR he wrote is much closer to what I should have asked him to write.

Since he has known me for so long, he was able to talk about my growth and character. This perspective was a unique perspective among my LoR; even better, it had information that was not contained in any other part of my application.

I still think that people should be very cautious when asking a friend to write a LoR, but I think that this one worked well for me.

jimmyp

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2005, 10:13:34 AM »
One month later, in December 2003, I took the GRE subject exam in Computer Science. I started preparing for this exam in June 2003; I read ten textbooks used at the University of Texas at Austin in various computer science classes. I also prepared a 30-page study guide that over 1000 people have downloaded from my website for their own use in preparing for the exam. I managed to earn 24 credit hours from this exam.

I downloaded that study guide after I took the LSAT and before I got my score.  I thought I did poorly so I was going to take the CS GRE instead.  I would never have guessed the guy who drew it up was also applying to LS.

The schools that rejected you are nuts.

Whammer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2005, 01:20:17 PM »
Re: LoR W analysis

W here.

I sent Hunter my letter a couple of weeks ago because I'd happened upon and read this thread and was quite impressed.

Hunter provided me with two other resources that helped me write my LoR that he didn't mention:

First, he sent me a copy of LoR B and his comments about LoR F, to give me an idea of what an LoR should look like.  I made mention of his work at Hospitalhub.com and at CyberTex in my letter because I had worked with him a little bit in the one case, and had observed him in action in the other case and I'd gotten strong impressions.  Seeing LoR B and a version of LoR F gave me confidence that these things that I chose to write about were covered in greater detail elsewhere, so I didn't feel the need to elaborate.  I didn't see his PS, but I gathered that there was a lot of material in his application that would supplement what I had to say, and I didn't feel pressure to elaborate, unnecessarily.  This is important because there were many things that I didn't remember or didn't remember clearly, or hadn't observed enough to go into elaborate detail about, and I believe that if I had tried to it would have been ineffective.

Second, I wrote my letter mostly on the Wednesday and Friday of Thanksgiving weekend; Hunter made himself available for me to call anytime about the letter, even Thanksgiving day, (and made it clear that I should call, for any reason); I talked to him twice.  I called him to talk about experiences that we'd shared that I didn't remember clearly, to refresh my memory, also to get an idea of what the scope of the letter should be, and to ask whether it was okay to include highly personal details of his life (I didn't end up doing this, even though he said it was fine).

So, Hunter provided a lot of guidance, in one way or another, that made it easier for me to write my letter.

hunterhogan

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2005, 01:35:12 PM »
The schools that rejected you are nuts.

Thanks!

hunterhogan

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2005, 01:36:18 PM »
Re: LoR W analysis

W here.

I sent Hunter my letter a couple of weeks ago because I'd happened upon and read this thread and was quite impressed.

Hunter provided me with two other resources that helped me write my LoR that he didn't mention:

Thanks for the extra analysis, Whammer!

camus

a
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2005, 10:31:56 PM »
a