Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: High LSAT/Low GPA - My story  (Read 12763 times)

hunterhogan

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
Re: My new PS - tell me what you think
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 12:03:01 PM »
After looking at the results of my letters of interest, I don't think they helped me very much. At best, they got me waitlisted at some of the schools. So, it's not really worth the time to post them.

Good luck to everyone!

DodgerLaw

Re: High LSAT/Low GPA - My story
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2005, 07:07:15 AM »
Hunter,

I too have noticed you on lawschoolnumbers.com and wondered about you. My situation is similar in that I am alo non-trad with a good LSAT (not nearly as good as yours) and a low UGPA (significantly higher, but still very crappy). Now I know the story, and I thank you for sharing it.

Your second set of materials, particularly your PS were vastly better than your first. Good work.

I hope you will accept the following as constructive criticism. One part of your original PS that may not have helped you was the second to last paragraph:

I have many things to offer to the classroom. My enthusiasm for learning and tendency to ask probing questions combine to make me a natural leader in the classroom. Furthermore, my developed analytical skills and willingness to hold a well-reasoned position, even if it is unpopular, will contribute to the diversity of the school.

Based on what I've read on this board and in other places, law school professors and to an even greater extent law school students are not fond of students who "ask probing questions" or "are leaders in the classroom." In law school, that is the professor's job. I imagine that a great many law students have these qualities; I know I do. My guess is that those are qualities that we best suppress in law school, at least during class, unless we are interested in becoming very unpopular. I trust you have discoverd this by now too, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Best of luck at Kent. I'm on the "deferred" list there. Maybe, just maybe, I'll see you in Chicago.  8)

Future-Haitian-Lawyer

• Le Drapeau Haitien
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
Re: My new PS - tell me what you think
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2005, 03:55:29 PM »
As for myself, I am only 27 years old, I am preparing to write the October LSAT, I thought that life was hell for me, I guess that you're my hero buddy. you're inspire me, because it makes me believe that others went to hell, and they still live by the "hope standard".
I only have myself to take care off, and sometimes, I complain by stating that I wish I could have a better opportunity in order to pursue my dream with no constraint. I guess that after reading you right now, you prove to me that there is still hope for all of us.
Good luck with everything and I wish you the best.
As for me, I will see if i can get a good score and start in fall 2006 in New Jersey. Otherwise, I will have to wait for Fall 2007 to go out of State.
IN-: Indiana University-Indianapolis, Thomas M. Cooley
DEFFERED-: University of Tulsa,
OUT-: University of Akron, Drexel, University of Arkansas-Fayette...,U baltimore.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=haitian

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2005, 10:42:14 AM »
Very insightful! You share the keys to your success this cycle in a non self-aggrandizing way, unlike most on this board -- good for you and congrats on your acceptances! And while I'm still a complete cynic, this almost convinces me law schools might actually look beyond numbers once in a while...almost:D
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

hunterhogan

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2005, 01:10:25 PM »
I hope you will accept the following as constructive criticism. One part of your original PS that may not have helped you was the second to last paragraph:

I have many things to offer to the classroom. My enthusiasm for learning and tendency to ask probing questions combine to make me a natural leader in the classroom. Furthermore, my developed analytical skills and willingness to hold a well-reasoned position, even if it is unpopular, will contribute to the diversity of the school.

Based on what I've read on this board and in other places, law school professors and to an even greater extent law school students are not fond of students who "ask probing questions" or "are leaders in the classroom." In law school, that is the professor's job. I imagine that a great many law students have these qualities; I know I do. My guess is that those are qualities that we best suppress in law school, at least during class, unless we are interested in becoming very unpopular. I trust you have discoverd this by now too, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

It was not my intention to sound like I wanted to take over the professorís role. As a former instructor (and of course, student), I enjoyed classes with students that asked questions much more than classes that were all silent.

I also donít plan to be the person that makes comments all the time. I do plan to ask questions when I have them. I am going to school specifically to learn, and I will ask questions when I don't understand the material. At the same time, I hope not to annoy everyone else!

Thanks for the input. I probably could have made that section a little more clear.

DodgerLaw

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 01:30:30 PM »

It was not my intention to sound like I wanted to take over the professorís role. As a former instructor (and of course, student), I enjoyed classes with students that asked questions much more than classes that were all silent.

I also donít plan to be the person that makes comments all the time. I do plan to ask questions when I have them. I am going to school specifically to learn, and I will ask questions when I don't understand the material. At the same time, I hope not to annoy everyone else!

Thanks for the input. I probably could have made that section a little more clear.

Good luck to you hunterhogan. I think you are going to be an excellent law student. This series of posts proves that you not only have the capacity to learn and improve, but that you are a person who will make a good classmate. Your willingness to share should make the law school experience a more pleasant one for your colleagues, and I believe for yourself.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2005, 02:10:13 PM »
<BOOKMARKED>

Really appreciate it Hunter, best of luck to you in law school and beyond.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

hunterhogan

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2005, 04:21:30 PM »
Thank you for all of the kind words. The support and encouragement has made this thread more than worth my time.

lsdreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2005, 12:49:01 AM »
This post is awesome! I am also reapplying this year for Fall 06' admissions. I need to re-work my personal statement. Would you mind looking at my original PS? Any feedback would be appreciated.   :)

Thanks for all your time & energy on this...You have been a huge help...

hunterhogan

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.19/173
    • View Profile
    • www.hunterthinks.com
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2005, 03:39:07 PM »
This post is awesome! I am also reapplying this year for Fall 06' admissions. I need to re-work my personal statement. Would you mind looking at my original PS? Any feedback would be appreciated.   :)

Thanks for all your time & energy on this...You have been a huge help...

Thanks; sure, I will read your PS.