yes- service
 43 (54.4%)
no -they're outdated
 17 (21.5%)
yes- to party
 9 (11.4%)
no- they never should have existed
 5 (6.3%)
huh? blacks have their own fraternities/sororities?
 5 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: The Black Greek Thread  (Read 66872 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Greek Thread
« Reply #780 on: January 15, 2007, 09:44:31 PM »
Well, technically speaking, the Zetas and the Sigmas are the only family. They are the only two frat/soror pairs that constitutionally recognize each other.  Everybody else varies from campus to campus.

the Zetas/Sigmas -- ummm, well...

I have never even heard of Iotas.  We didn't have that either.  btw - My mom told me when she was coming up, they had two other groups called "Groove Phi Groove" and "Swing Phi Swing."  Has anybody else heard of this?

LOL @ the the "umm well".  Never heard of Groove Phi Groove or Swing Phi Swing.  From what I had to research, one the of goals of the Divine 9, originally, was to model it after the Caucasian Greek life (as well as some Egyptian and Christian beliefs thrown into the mix) from which they were excluded so I would think they would only include Greek lettering but dont quote me

Plus the Rhos came out in the what the 70s? 

LOL!  No man, the Rho's were founded in 1922 and joined the NPHC in 1937.  Nobody came in the 70's.  LOL :D

And the goal of the NPHC was not so much to model themselves after the white greek system so much as it was to create their own greek system. You are dead on about the exclusion part though.

And yes I've heard of Swing Phi Swing, Groove Phi Groove (the real G Phi G) and a host of others.  Truth be told, there are literally over 100 black fraternities and sororoities however most have popped up recently within the past 10 to 15 years, and many of them are only local groups, like Swing Phi Swing, with no national representation.  The "divine 9" as they're sometimes called, (formerlly the "Elite 8" before Iota joined NPHC in the 90's) just so happen to be the only ones that have enough members to have national representation.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 16, 2007, 10:16:24 AM »
Wow -- The Black Greek thread was on and poppin this weekend  :D

Anyway, first and foremost...Happy Founder's Day to the Finer Women of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc!!! :)

(and a belated Happy Founder's Day to the Kappa's, AKA's and Delta's)

Natalie,

The Grooves were founded at my UG school (one of my closest friends is one). I think the Swings were founded in North  Carolina, but I'd have to check that.  I think they're real deep in the South, in Maryland and in Philly. Most of the ones I've met outside of Maryland were from schools in Louisiana or HBCU's in the Philly area.

Sands,

The Swings actually have national representation. They, and the Grooves are members of the Council of Independent Organizations along with Alpha Phi Omega, Phi Omicron Psi and Phi Alpha Psi (at least at some HBCU's). The Iota's also used to be members of that group until they joined the NPHC in the early 90's (they'd first joined in the 60's, but they left).  The Iota's were also founded at my UG school, so I used to get an earful about their history. 

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 16, 2007, 09:29:58 PM »
Wow -- The Black Greek thread was on and poppin this weekend  :D

Anyway, first and foremost...Happy Founder's Day to the Finer Women of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc!!! :)

(and a belated Happy Founder's Day to the Kappa's, AKA's and Delta's)

Natalie,

The Grooves were founded at my UG school (one of my closest friends is one). I think the Swings were founded in North  Carolina, but I'd have to check that.  I think they're real deep in the South, in Maryland and in Philly. Most of the ones I've met outside of Maryland were from schools in Louisiana or HBCU's in the Philly area.

Sands,

The Swings actually have national representation. They, and the Grooves are members of the Council of Independent Organizations along with Alpha Phi Omega, Phi Omicron Psi and Phi Alpha Psi (at least at some HBCU's). The Iota's also used to be members of that group until they joined the NPHC in the early 90's (they'd first joined in the 60's, but they left).  The Iota's were also founded at my UG school, so I used to get an earful about their history. 

Happy Founder's day back atcha.  We're 96 years old man, gettin close to that 100.

Man I used to know this one cat who was die hard A Phi Que.  I mean die hard.  Swore by it.  He had me hype for him. LOL :D

I didn't know they belonged to the same council.  There's a real cool Alpha out there by the name of Dr. Walter Kimbrough, he put out a book about black frats & sororities and does a lot of speaking at the different conventions.  He does probably the most thorough job on breaking down and researching all of the different orgs out there.  At any rate, that's how I came to learn that there were so many more black orgs out there that just the big 9.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 17, 2007, 06:44:27 PM »
Well, technically speaking, the Zetas and the Sigmas are the only family. They are the only two frat/soror pairs that constitutionally recognize each other.  Everybody else varies from campus to campus.

the Zetas/Sigmas -- ummm, well...

I have never even heard of Iotas.  We didn't have that either.  btw - My mom told me when she was coming up, they had two other groups called "Groove Phi Groove" and "Swing Phi Swing."  Has anybody else heard of this?

LOL @ the the "umm well".  Never heard of Groove Phi Groove or Swing Phi Swing.  From what I had to research, one the of goals of the Divine 9, originally, was to model it after the Caucasian Greek life (as well as some Egyptian and Christian beliefs thrown into the mix) from which they were excluded so I would think they would only include Greek lettering but dont quote me

Plus the Rhos came out in the what the 70s? 

LOL!  No man, the Rho's were founded in 1922 and joined the NPHC in 1937.  Nobody came in the 70's.  LOL :D

my bad, homie.   :P

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Blue22

• Who said life was fair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 21, 2007, 07:19:50 PM »
Most def. here before the 70's ;)
Though as a side note, I've seen more GphiG's down here in the South than Iotas...

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 22, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »
My undergrad's chapter of aka crossed a bunch of random people, since it was the only org "officially" on campus, but once they crossed they started becoming the stereotype--it was SO odd. They weren't that "pretty" though (some were, many not).

There were basically two groups of black guys at the school: the athletes (most of the black men were athletes - a few of them pledged Q off campus) and the Kappa men (all but a few were gay and ALL fit that metrosexual Kappa stereotype). There were a few--very few--outliers.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 06, 2008, 04:56:23 PM »
To all my fellow bruhs out there, I was out yesterday but Happy Belated Founder's Day.

If you haven't already be sure to take at least a minute to pay our respects to the 10 men who founded this institution of Kappa Alpha Psi based on "high ideals and the purpose of achievement, seeking to raise the sights of black youths and stimulate them to accomplishments higher than might otherwise be realized or even imagined."

And rededicate ourselves to uphold these ideals and continue to uplift one another to achieve in every field of human endeavor.

I say Yo!

Sands

Charles H. Houston

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #787 on: January 07, 2008, 05:58:41 PM »
To all my fellow bruhs out there, I was out yesterday but Happy Belated Founder's Day.

If you haven't already be sure to take at least a minute to pay our respects to the 10 men who founded this institution of Kappa Alpha Psi based on "high ideals and the purpose of achievement, seeking to raise the sights of black youths and stimulate them to accomplishments higher than might otherwise be realized or even imagined."

And rededicate ourselves to uphold these ideals and continue to uplift one another to achieve in every field of human endeavor.

I say Yo!

Sands

Happy Founders Day Nupe

BlackJack21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 03, 2008, 01:58:36 AM »
bump
Southwestern 2011

BlackJack21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 03, 2008, 02:02:49 AM »
Just had to bump and represent!

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc, Mu Kappa Chapter
"Legion of Doom"
Spring 03
PHIve star general, chief Icessain, leaving no sur5ors!
PHIve Club
PHIve deities of Nun.
Southwestern 2011