yes- service
43 (54.4%)
no -they're outdated
17 (21.5%)
yes- to party
9 (11.4%)
no- they never should have existed
5 (6.3%)
huh? blacks have their own fraternities/sororities?
5 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

The Black Greek Thread

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Greek Thread
« Reply #770 on: January 15, 2007, 09:23:12 AM »
Yeah on my campus it was the Alphas...AKAs
Kappas--> their own "sweets"
Omegas & Deltas
Sigmas vs. Zetas  (didnt really like each other much; unless it was the blue picnic)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 15, 2007, 09:38:36 AM »
Yeah on our campus it was interesting.  The "First Fam" was definitely in full effect, but not until the AKA's crossed some fine sisters.  Before that the Alphas not only didn't have anything to do with the AKA's but they actually beefed with the AKAs'.

During the First Fam beef the AKAs were usually paired up with the Kappas but the Deltas were usually the standard match up for the Kappas at our school.

The Zetas and Sigmas stayed paired without question.

The SG Rho's did their own thing but kept the "Indiana Connection" going with the Kappas.

The Iotas were on their own.

The Ques unfortunately were not at our school.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 15, 2007, 09:44:26 AM »
You had Iotas?  Man, I've never even seen one.  None of the Greeks at my school fit their "sterotypes".  The Deltas were actually the "AKA" stereotype. The "fine" guys were the Omegas-pretty thugs.  I thought the "first fam" would be the Zetas and Sigmas.   :-\

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 15, 2007, 10:26:18 AM »
Happppppppppppy Founders Day by the way!!!!   :)

The g/f says I have to get her "a big gift" next year.  Ha!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 15, 2007, 11:06:27 AM »
You had Iotas?  Man, I've never even seen one.  None of the Greeks at my school fit their "sterotypes".  The Deltas were actually the "AKA" stereotype. The "fine" guys were the Omegas-pretty thugs.  I thought the "first fam" would be the Zetas and Sigmas.   :-\

Well, technically speaking, the Zetas and the Sigmas are the only family. They are the only two frat/soror pairs that constitutionally recognize each other.  Everybody else varies from campus to campus.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 15, 2007, 04:45:53 PM »
LMAO at "Omega Pretty Thugs"!!! When we had Omega men they were neither pretty nor were they thuggish. They were just big and real cool! Our entire area loved partying with them but as I recall they were close to the Deltas. AKA was close with both the Alphas and the Kappas but more recently the Kappas (probably within the last 10 years or so).

Happppppppppppy Founders Day by the way!!!!   :)

They were  some "pretty thugs" :D.  LOL...yeah very cool ppls.  Forever having some crazy cruise party.  The Kappas were def the second in real/down-to-earthness Greek folk in undergrad.  But What  the heck was up with all the old heads at all the parties...like 45+?  Cracked me up.

You had Iotas?  Man, I've never even seen one.  None of the Greeks at my school fit their "sterotypes".  The Deltas were actually the "AKA" stereotype. The "fine" guys were the Omegas-pretty thugs.  I thought the "first fam" would be the Zetas and Sigmas.   :-\

Well, technically speaking, the Zetas and the Sigmas are the only family. They are the only two frat/soror pairs that constitutionally recognize each other.  Everybody else varies from campus to campus.

Yeah I know my "Divine Nine" History  ;) 

« Reply #776 on: January 15, 2007, 04:47:45 PM »

The AKAs at my school definitely fit the stereotype....that's why I couldn't mess with any of them. :-\

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 15, 2007, 04:54:56 PM »

The AKAs at my school definitely fit the stereotype....that's why I couldn't mess with any of them. :-\

Yeah my school (said they were 12% black they were actually like 2% it seemed like) was weird!  The AKAs were the more "natural" looking sistahs on campus and the Deltas were more like the "G phi G" girls from Spike Lee's movie   

naturallybeyoutiful

• Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 15, 2007, 04:58:25 PM »

:o For real?  Okay, you really just schooled me on some things!  At my school, and in most other schools in the state, it seems everyone's Phirst Pham is the Alphas and the AKAs.  The Deltas and the Ques were another clique, and the Zetas and the Sigmas rounded out the mix.  The Kappas, well they just had "sweethearts", and the Sigma Gamma Rhos -- I don't think we even had a chapter.  Or if we did, there were like 5-6 junior and senior members that graduated and the chapter just fizzled out. 

As for the stereotypes :-\, for what's worth...
the Alphas -- driven, intelligent, and the ones on academic scholarship and/or running things on campus
the AKAs -- the pretty girls
the Deltas -- driven, motivated, and overachieving, the most popular women running things on campus
the Ques -- "them dirty dawgs", a rep for being thuggish and loving to party
the Kappas -- the pretty boys, eye candy (though they didn't really live up to this as the years passed! :P )
the Zetas/Sigmas -- ummm, well...

I have never even heard of Iotas.  We didn't have that either.  btw - My mom told me when she was coming up, they had two other groups called "Groove Phi Groove" and "Swing Phi Swing."  Has anybody else heard of this?

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 15, 2007, 05:05:08 PM »

the Zetas/Sigmas -- ummm, well...

I have never even heard of Iotas.  We didn't have that either.  btw - My mom told me when she was coming up, they had two other groups called "Groove Phi Groove" and "Swing Phi Swing."  Has anybody else heard of this?

LOL @ the the "umm well".  Never heard of Groove Phi Groove or Swing Phi Swing.  From what I had to research, one the of goals of the Divine 9, originally, was to model it after the Caucasian Greek life (as well as some Egyptian and Christian beliefs thrown into the mix) from which they were excluded so I would think they would only include Greek lettering but dont quote me

Plus the Rhos came out in the what the 70s?