yes- service
43 (54.4%)
no -they're outdated
17 (21.5%)
yes- to party
9 (11.4%)
no- they never should have existed
5 (6.3%)
huh? blacks have their own fraternities/sororities?
5 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

The Black Greek Thread

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Greek Thread
« Reply #760 on: January 14, 2007, 08:47:10 AM »
Yeah I had heard that it was produced (but not written) but two Alphas.  Doggone Alphas messin it up for everybody.  You been here for a whole century and still can't get it right, man?  What's wrong with ya'll? [looking at Intent]  :P

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 14, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »
'Stomp the Yard' dances to No. 1 finish By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer
2 hours, 53 minutes ago

The dance flick "Stomp the Yard" was a step ahead of the competition at the box office, debuting as the No. 1 weekend movie with $22 million.

Starring Columbus Short as a raw but talented dancer at the center of a step competition between rival college fraternities, the Sony Screen Gems movie knocked off 20th Century Fox's "Night at the Museum," which had been the top film for three straight weekends.

"Night at the Museum" slipped to second place with $17.1 million, raising its total to $185.8 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The weekend's other new movies had ho-hum debuts. Universal's youth drama "Alpha Dog," featuring Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster and Justin Timberlake in a tale of drugs, kidnapping and murder, opened at No. 7 with $6.1 million.

Disney's "Primeval," a thriller with Dominic Purcell and Orlando Jones as part of a news crew pursuing a prolific serial killer, premiered at No. 8 with $6 million.

Expanding to nationwide release after a limited run in December to qualify for the Academy Awards, "Arthur and the Invisibles," a live-action and animated family film from the Weinstein Co. and MGM, was No. 9 with $4.3 million.

Strong turnout by black movie-goers who accounted for nearly two-thirds of the audience, according to Sony pushed "Stomp the Yard" over the top. The movie followed in the footsteps of other black-themed films that debuted at No. 1 over previous Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekends, including "Glory Road" last year and "Coach Carter" in 2005.

"Sony picked a great weekend to release the film," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers. "The urban audience wields a lot of clout at the box office. If you put a film in the marketplace that has that built-in appeal to that audience, look at the numbers. The numbers speak for themselves."

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Tuesday.

1. "Stomp the Yard," $22 million.

2. "Night at the Museum," $17.1 million.

3. "The Pursuit of Happyness," $9.1 million.

4. "Dreamgirls," $8.1 million.

5. "Freedom Writers," $7.1 million.

6. "Children of Men," $6.4 million.

7. "Alpha Dog," $6.1 million.

8. "Primeval," $6 million.

9. "Arthur and the Invisibles," $4.3 million.

10. "The Good Shepherd," $3.9 million.

___

Universal Pictures and Focus Features are owned by NBC Universal, a joint venture of General Electric Co. and Vivendi Universal; Sony Pictures, Sony Screen Gems and Sony Pictures Classics are units of Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news).; DreamWorks, Paramount and Paramount Vantage are divisions of Viacom Inc.; Disney's parent is The Walt Disney Co.; Miramax is a division of The Walt Disney Co.; 20th Century Fox, Fox Searchlight Pictures and Fox Atomic are owned by News Corp.; Warner Bros., New Line, Warner Independent and Picturehouse are units of Time Warner Inc.; MGM is owned by a consortium of Providence Equity Partners, Texas Pacific Group, Sony Corp., Comcast Corp., DLJ Merchant Banking Partners and Quadrangle Group; Lionsgate is owned by Lionsgate Entertainment Corp.; IFC Films is owned by Rainbow Media Holdings, a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corp.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070114/ap_en_mo/box_office&printer=1

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 14, 2007, 12:59:40 PM »
"Sony picked a great weekend to release the film," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers. "The urban audience wields a lot of clout at the box office. If you put a film in the marketplace that has that built-in appeal to that audience, look at the numbers. The numbers speak for themselves."

::)

intent06

• "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 14, 2007, 01:22:47 PM »
Yeah I had heard that it was produced (but not written) but two Alphas.  Doggone Alphas messin it up for everybody.  You been here for a whole century and still can't get it right, man?  What's wrong with ya'll? [looking at Intent]  :P

Looks RIGHT back at Sands with a handful of ICE!!! hahaha :D

The Alpha got some money of out of Sony (scholars who are ALWAYS thinking about dollars).  In December they came to an agreement with Sony and had the movie edited removing all reference to Alpha (hand signs, para, etc).  AND Sony contributed some money to the MLK monument fund.  Hmmm, not bad for the end of 100 years....hehehe

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 14, 2007, 01:40:39 PM »

::)

Is that the way the urbans roll their eyes?

That reminds me from I Love New York where NY referred to Chance as an "urban brother." She even pronounced the 'er'.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 14, 2007, 02:11:04 PM »
Damn. I threw my $10 into that $22 million pot.  D'oh!!! :P

I tell ya I been had, led astray, run amuck, bamboozled, hoodwinked!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 14, 2007, 04:12:06 PM »
STY could have been on of the worst films on black greekdom since... well... ever. I was shocked by the west coast rap meets atl club theme that accounted for about 70% of the hype. My beloved org will celebrate 99 years tomorrow and Meagan Goode was charged with the task of loosely (and poorly) portraying us in the film!  ???

No, she was actually protraying some made up sorority.  Unfortunatley, the only AKA in this film was a 2 second shot of a picture of Corretta Scott King hanging on the wall.

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 14, 2007, 04:13:54 PM »
the movie was bad?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 14, 2007, 05:51:42 PM »
STY could have been on of the worst films on black greekdom since... well... ever. I was shocked by the west coast rap meets atl club theme that accounted for about 70% of the hype. My beloved org will celebrate 99 years tomorrow and Meagan Goode was charged with the task of loosely (and poorly) portraying us in the film!  ???

No, she was actually protraying some made up sorority.  Unfortunatley, the only AKA in this film was a 2 second shot of a picture of Corretta Scott King hanging on the wall.

I think all of the orgs were fictitious but we had a discussion of the film afterwards and saw that there were underlying references to each org. I suppose it could very depending on your yard's dynamics but we figured that Mu Gamma Xi was KAY, Theta Nu Theta was APA, and that Meagan Goode was an AKA.

The "wolverines" used bats and some held canes in the movies. The thetas incorporated a lot of alpha train & cobra in their routines. And Meagan Goode and her girls held up mirror-esque poses at one point in the film.

Yeah the Thetas clearly had an Alpha theme going just from the name alone: Theta Nu Theta.  Plus they had Black and Orange as opposed to Black and Gold, and they did the snake just like the Alphas.  I did get the sense that they wanted the Mu's to be the Kappas; there were the Red and White jackets and I caught the use of bats/canes also.  Don't know where that wolf thang comes into play but I guess they had to just run with the fictional nature of the org and give it its own fictional flavor.

If Megan Good was supposed to be a fictional AKA then that means that she should have been linked up with her fictional brothers - the Thetas, but it appeared that her sorority was linked up with the Mu's though.

Oh well. Add that to the list.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 15, 2007, 05:44:55 AM »
I agree with the frat analysis but on many campuses there is a bond between AKAs and Kappas. Some people feel Pretty People Inc more than they feel The Phirst Pham. Who knows... bad movie  :-\

On my campus it was the opposite, the Deltas and Kappas were really tight.  Then again, we didn't have Qs.