Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: You are new to BLSDB? Introduce yourself here!!!  (Read 16877 times)

Dawn

• 3.89/165 Playing the waiting game!
    • View Profile
Re: You are new to BLSDB? Introduce yourself here!!!
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2005, 11:14:30 PM »
Hello n00bs.

Dawn - which schools are you waiting to hear from?

Hey RBG...

I have applied to Touro Law Center and Hofstra University...the only law schools on Long Island, where I live.  The impetus behind my choice of schools is strictly practical, as my life isn't conducive to me attending school far from my mother (who is disabled).  Hofstra is my first choice, so we'll see what goodies my mailfairy brings me in the coming weeks.

Thanks for asking  ;)
You are that moon
my moon Goddess shining down light
on my Black face
that fills the universe
My moon I am your sun
and I shall take this peace
of light and build a world
for you my sister

-The Last Poets

Dawn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2005, 11:17:41 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to check in and say hello  :)  I'm a social worker from NY and currently work with the homeless.  In my other life I am a ceramic and stained glass artist.  I won't bore you with the other stuff  ;)

I tend to be somewhat reticent on the boards until I am lured from lurkdom  (and that could be for any number of reasons) ;)

Happy to be here  ;D

Dawn

Welcome Dawn. Which part of NY are you from?

Whats with new lsd posters with names having to do with the time of day? Theres another newbie called Daybreak. I think its sweet.

Hi Victor,

I am from Long Island...Brentwood to be exact. 

My first name is Dawn...I was creatively tapped when I was choosing a screen name for this forum, lol.  And I was born at night, go figure, lol.

And thank for the welcome, glad to be here.
You are that moon
on my Black face
that fills the universe
My moon I am your sun
for you my sister

-The Last Poets

lil_token

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2005, 01:36:23 AM »
Welcome, newbies, welcome!  Miss Token, among others, is here to answer any questions your inquisitive minds may have. 

I am especially receptive to questions from fine young gentlement between the ages of 21 and 30.

Enjoy your stay at BLSD!

:-* Muah!

Token

WKRUSE

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2005, 07:09:43 AM »
Thank you lil.  My wife will be please to know that.  :D

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2005, 09:20:04 AM »
Hello n00bs.

Dawn - which schools are you waiting to hear from?

Hey RBG...

I have applied to Touro Law Center and Hofstra University...the only law schools on Long Island, where I live.  The impetus behind my choice of schools is strictly practical, as my life isn't conducive to me attending school far from my mother (who is disabled).  Hofstra is my first choice, so we'll see what goodies my mailfairy brings me in the coming weeks.

Thanks for asking  ;)

Hi Dawn. I sympathize with your situation, however, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to commute from LI to NYC? I know students that do the same thing and also have obligations at home in LI. I'm saying this only b/c your numbers are great, whereas you should be applying to the likes of Columbia, NYU, (and Fordham as a safety). Maybe even as a part-time student? You will undoubtedly be accepted to Hofstra, and it should be with a full-ride!

Best wishes.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2005, 02:07:49 PM »
Greetings all, I'm new to the boards via a search for black law students. HBCU grad 3.9/175 (physics). PhD Mathematical Economics/Finance Accepted to Harvard/Stanford/Northwestern waiting on Yale.

Welcome. Nice stats, I see youre a Physics major . . . whats your specialty?

Heterogeneous Porous Media. Were you a Physics major?

No, Political Science. But this Physics stuff sounds cool. Hetrogenous Porous Media, what exactly is that?

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2005, 02:12:47 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to check in and say hello  :)  I'm a social worker from NY and currently work with the homeless.  In my other life I am a ceramic and stained glass artist.  I won't bore you with the other stuff  ;)

I tend to be somewhat reticent on the boards until I am lured from lurkdom  (and that could be for any number of reasons) ;)

Happy to be here  ;D

Dawn

Welcome Dawn. Which part of NY are you from?

Whats with new lsd posters with names having to do with the time of day? Theres another newbie called Daybreak. I think its sweet.

:) Well Victor
My government name is also Dawn and Daybreak is a just a play off of it.

Two ladies named Dawn. I like that name. However, speaking of periods of the day, I like dusk better than dawn. But I doubt there will ever be ladies named Dusk . . . haha.

Dawn

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2005, 03:52:20 PM »

Hi Dawn. I sympathize with your situation, however, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to commute from LI to NYC? I know students that do the same thing and also have obligations at home in LI. I'm saying this only b/c your numbers are great, whereas you should be applying to the likes of Columbia, NYU, (and Fordham as a safety). Maybe even as a part-time student? You will undoubtedly be accepted to Hofstra, and it should be with a full-ride!

Best wishes.

Hey LadyDay  ;)

I agonized over which schools I would apply to.  I would have applied to NYU. Columbia and Fordham if I really thought I would be able to handle the commute into the city, as I intend to go to school full time.

I know I would hate the commute into the city.  I love to shoot out there for leisurely jaunts, but I know I am not down for it on the daily.  In addition, I need to be here for my mother and I'll also be doing some consulting/contract work on the Island to keep money in the bank so it really would be better for me to be here on LI.

And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some money from Hofstra, or even Touro for that matter.  A sistah is hoping not to add too much to her debt from undergrad and grad school, lol.

Thanks for taking the time to give some encouragement!

Edited because I addressed you incorrectly, my bad  ;)
You are that moon
on my Black face
that fills the universe
My moon I am your sun
for you my sister

-The Last Poets

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2005, 04:06:47 PM »

Best wishes.

Hey Dawn  ;)

I agonized over which schools I would apply to.  I would have applied to NYU. Columbia and Fordham if I really thought I would be able to handle the commute into the city, as I intend to go to school full time.

I know I would hate the commute into the city.  I love to shoot out there for leisurely jaunts, but I know I am not down for it on the daily.  In addition, I need to be here for my mother and I'll also be doing some consulting/contract work on the Island to keep money in the bank so it really would be better for me to be here on LI.

And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some money from Hofstra, or even Touro for that matter.  A sistah is hoping not to add too much to her debt from undergrad and grad school, lol.

Thanks for taking the time to give some encouragement!

Oh no doubt.

You should not being going to Touro. Period. And with your stats, you should not be going to Hofstra either without a full-ride. I don't know if you realize how great your stats are! But I truly admire your commitment to your mother, that's beautiful. And wipe any doubt out of your mind, Hofstra would be crazy not only not admitting you, but not admitting you with a full scholarship. Keep us posted!

Dawn

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2005, 04:21:41 PM »
Oh no doubt.

You should not being going to Touro. Period. And with your stats, you should not be going to Hofstra either without a full-ride. I don't know if you realize how great your stats are! But I truly admire your commitment to your mother, that's beautiful. And wipe any doubt out of your mind, Hofstra would be crazy not only not admitting you, but not admitting you with a full scholarship. Keep us posted!

Sis...thank you so much for lookin out.  I sincerely appreciate and will keep you posted.
You are that moon
on my Black face
that fills the universe
My moon I am your sun
for you my sister

-The Last Poets