Law School Discussion

June 14 LSAT Reading Comp is killing me HELPPPPPPP

M2

Re: June 14 LSAT Reading Comp is killing me HELPPPPPPP
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2004, 06:53:07 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that after X amount of practice tests that you are actually interested in the subject matter that the RC section is covering.   ???  I feel like a total dweeb, but After one paragraph I'm like "I can't wait to find out how homing pigeons use their 'internal map'."  Is that wrong?

hahah

I really liked that article, and im still curious if it's some sort of "mapping sense"

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2004, 07:38:04 AM »
But I'm not gonna get down on me for liking the passages.  Hell I've gone from averaging 6 wrong per section when I hated them to 2 now.  I can be a dweeb for another week ;)

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2004, 07:44:40 AM »
Having fun with the test is actually one of the best things that you can do!  I try to never think during an RC section "god, this passage sucks.."  whenever I catch myself doing that, I find I've missed stuff in the passage.

Also, when I don't let myseft stress about games, and just kind of go in with an attitude that it doesn't matter what i don't finish as long as I get everything right I do try, then I find that I start having fun with the games, and the games I have fun with I get more inferences right off the bat, which means i do the questions faster, and have more time to fiddle with the harder games.

LR is much harder for me to have fun with, which is maybe why it's my worst section?

Nylo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2004, 07:58:11 PM »
I've noticed though that even when i LOVE the topic in a RC passage, it's still boring as hell. For example, I am obsessed with the jazz trumpet and there was a passage on Miles Davis in one of the prep tests. I got all the questions right but I still almost fell asleep reading it.  ;D

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2004, 08:23:40 PM »
I actually like most of the passages... except the ones in which the author's opinion really pisses me off.  I especially hated that one about that feminist writer and the history of science.  It was on test #31. 

Seriously, the Economist is my favorite magizine.  I love their subtle sarcasm. When my husband and I stopped living together (because we were going to separate schools) we had a small fight over who would get to keep the Economist subscription.  lol

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2004, 06:09:41 AM »
OMG that History of Science female dog (pardon the harsh language) I just didn't get what her deal was.  I totally screw that whole passage up.  I tried, but honestly, it's just confused the hell out of me why someone's brain would think that way.

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2004, 06:28:38 AM »
OMG that History of Science female dog (pardon the harsh language) I just didn't get what her deal was.  I totally screw that whole passage up.  I tried, but honestly, it's just confused the hell out of me why someone's brain would think that way.

I'm a girl, so I especially hated it.  It's so fustrating when you have these feminists say "ooo... look... this is the feminine way of doing science/history/whatever" and it's some totally ass-backward way of doing something.  I just want scream "NO IT'S NOT! AND SHUT THE HELL UP!"

Oh! My favorite is this load of crap I read from this "famous" socialogist who insisted that capitalism was inherently sexist because it doesn't value the work at home that all women naturally want to do.  I nearly exploded with irritation.

If you ask me, the biggest hurdle to women's equality is these kinds of feminists. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2004, 06:31:48 AM »
i love the economist too.  and yeah, they can be very sarcastic.  the little cartoons and photos are great too.  sometimes i disagree with their op/ed, but its a great mag all the way.

the surveys kick ass too.

another great one is atlantic monthly.

I actually like most of the passages... except the ones in which the author's opinion really pisses me off.  I especially hated that one about that feminist writer and the history of science.  It was on test #31. 

Seriously, the Economist is my favorite magizine.  I love their subtle sarcasm. When my husband and I stopped living together (because we were going to separate schools) we had a small fight over who would get to keep the Economist subscription.  lol

superiorlobe

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2004, 09:10:52 AM »
On reading comprehension I find it is helpful to just read what the passage is saying without being intimidated by the subject matter and especially without forming an opinion about either the author or anything discussed in the passage.

So if the passage is about feminist literary critiques or something or other and I generally have a strong bias against all things "feminist" then I don't let that bother me.  I just read for information in order to asnwer the question.

And if the passage is about complex biochemicals, all of which have unpronounceable names, I don't let that intimidate me.  I just read to answer the questions.

The key is to not care what the passage is about at all.  Just treat it like a piece of meat to be used and discarded.